Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      So after a quick trip out of town for a week or so, I've been driving this thing around a bit more, tweaking on the tune and basically just enjoying it. For a lot of people it would be great just like it is. It's super responsive, starts idles and drives like a new car and makes a lot more power in the upper RPM range than before. But I'm not like most people and have been working with Andrew to clean up a few small areas of concern.

One is a low voltage symptom that happens with all the high draw accessories are on at the same time and the idle is slow. Andrew came up with the idea of adding a low voltage idle ramp table and it worked like a champ.

Basically the Alternator is underdriven and at the base 750 RPM idle it won't produce enough amps to keep the volts up above the minimum threshold of 12.0v the Holley ECU needs. So as the volts start to drop, the ECU starts to add idle RPM to compensate.

I've driven it around twice now on super hot days with the AC blower cranked and it works pretty good as long as I remember to push the clutch in before the trans drags the engine down below the threshold RPM when pulling up to a stoplight. It's pretty fun to watch it work.

The other thing we are working on is a chug at lower RPM high load scenario like 1500 RPM in 6th gear on the highway. It's not bad and in reality was always like this (even worse) with the carb but he thinks we can clean it up even more. I learned how to take and send datalogs and sent him several couple of days ago so he can see exactly what is going on during the chug.

Other than that...Barney finally got some Arizona Copper Tags yesterday so he's officially an Arizonian now...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

The transformation back to comfortable street car continues. Just pulled the 600# rear springs and put the 250# springs back in. Iinitial test drive shows my butt and back greatly appreciate the change.

Next on the list is a Trutrac to replace the locker.

These changes should not hamper the on course handling much at all since they were merely bandaids tir the lifting the inside rear tire issue that the new front swaybar fixed permanently
      Lance

what # spring's were you running in your locker?
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      what # spring's were you running in your locker?
      40# if I recall correctly
      Lance

It's nice when major upgrades payoff well.

Joe

I have about 350 street miles now on the EFI setup. Andrew and I (mostly Andrew ;) ) have been tweaking away on the tune and I think we are just about done with it. After working on the fuel table trying to clean up a few small problem spots, we finally started adding timing and that woke things right up. Turns out this Fastburn 383 likes more timing in the mid RPM range, a little bit more timing upper RPM WOT and a little less timing at idle. Who knew? :headscratch:

We now have it where it'll lug smoothly at 1200 RPM in 6th gear on the highway, pulls like a freight train everywhere else when asked and runs like a 5th Gen Camaro under normal everyday driving. Still haven't decided if I'll ever put it on a chassis dyno or not, only real reason would be to see what the torque and horsepower curves look like and where the peaks are. My butt dyno says the HP peak is a lot higher than the 5400 RPM it was before with the dual plane intake and Quadrajet though. I raised the rev limiter to 6400 from 6000 because I kept hitting it regularly with car still pulling hard. I hardly ever hit it before as I was shifting before it got there.

Couple other things I've cleaned up to make it more street friendly. I put a new blower fan relay in which not only lets the fan work at all 4 speeds now, but also doesn't kill the charging system when the fan is on high.

Took the 600# rear springs out and put 250# springs in and added a UMI Autocross rear sway bar back in. Both are a big improvement for street driving both in comfort and in feel, hopefully it'll still corner good once I get it on track again.

The brand new RE71s I picked up are now installed as well, way over due for them. Hopefully the new rear setup provides more rear forward bite grip and I won't kill these nearly as fast as the last set.

I was going to do a track day at Inde Motorsports Ranch Labor Day weekend as my first track test of all the new stuff, but a family deal came up so I'll have to miss that. Love track days and love that track but at the same time kind of happy that I'll have an autocross event or two to test all the new stuff out before thrashing the car on a big track once again.

Meanwhile, I'm just driving the car every chance I get. First tank of gas netted 11.5 MPG, it'll be interesting to see how the next tank ends up shortly. I'm hammering it pretty hard doing the EFI tuning so I expect it'll get better with more just regular driving. Not really the most important goal but a nice side effect if I can save a bit of fuel along the way.
      Lance

That's great to hear that this system worked out so well! Hopefully you learned a few things so you can help me workout my inevitable bugs. ;)
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I think I have my favorite two dash setups done now, thought I'd share them. I have about 350 miles on it now and with Andrew's help really have the tune dialed in nicely. I use the first dash most of the time just to watch and learn mostly, the second dash in the video helps me pay attention to load and AFRs better with the sweeps. Car idles and runs fantastic in every condition I've thrown at it so far. Got 11.7 MPG out of the first tank of fuel and 12.5 MPG out of the 2nd. I'm thinking it will get close to 20 MPG on a long highway trip and at least 15 MPG regular in town driving.

Lance

I might know what I'm doing ;-P

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I don't normally put all four of my runs together in one video after an event but I thought some of you might enjoy watching me learn how to drive Digital Barney all over once again.

In the first couple of runs you can hear me barking the tires every time I get back onto the gas. The off idle throttle response of the new Holley EFI took some getting used too for sure. I also have a new rear spring and sway bar setup in the car which took some tweaking and getting used to as well. By the 4th run I was getting better at not breaking the tires loose on throttle and had the rear shocks a bit more dialed in to the new setup, but there is still work to do on the car (and the driver) for sure.

This was from the sidelines on my 3rd run I believe. The commentary from the announcer cracked me up...

It was good to knock 5 months worth of rust off the driver, it was good to see all the hard work over the summer on the car didn't have any hiccups, and we took first place in CAM T in the first event of the fall series. I'll need to step it up though as some of the others in class are nipping at my heels...
      Lance

Hi Lance. Are you basically undoing much of the rear suspension tuning advice you received from a former sponsor on this board? Is that motivated more by improving the ride quality on the street or getting the car working better on an autocross?
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Really the rear suspension changes are a response to the front changes I made last year. The huge new front bar cured issues that I was bandaiding on the rear before. Those bandaids greatly helped lateral rear grip but hurt forward bite grip, especially on Good Guys first gear type courses. My hope is by softening the rear springs and adding a rear bar once again it will have more forward bite, similar lateral grip and yes...ride softer on the street. Stay tuned..
      Lance

Little update on the EFI project.

I've now had the car running for about 3 months and I've put 525 miles on it including a SCCA Autocross event 2 weeks ago. I've uploaded about 17 or so new tunes to the ECU and I'm fairly certain this last one is close to as good as it is going to get. I'm SUPER happy with the found mid range power that came with it. I just filled the tank and figured 13.06 MPG on a tank that not only included many WOT Highway On Ramp blasts while tuning but also 4 long Autocross runs and very little highway cruising time. On the way to get gas today, I made several 1st gear launches and hard pulls with less than 4 gallons in the tank and still ZERO fuel starve issues. I'm a very happy camper so far, so happy I made the swap to EFI.

Here's a picture of Barney doing Street Car things...

And here are a couple of pulls I made on the way home. Sorry about the shaky cell phone video but it's all I had...

I made some more adjustments to the rear suspension, lowered the ride height and stiffened the sway bar. Hope to get a chance to test some slalom moves out in a parking lot somewhere before our next race Oct 13 but if not, I'll dial it in more then. I think I'm moving the right direction though. I KNOW forward grip is better with this setup than with the 600# rear springs.
      Lance

Digital Barney looks like a blast to drive. Can't ask for much more, better on the track and on the street, best of both worlds.

Joe

Judging by that video, you are getting some solid forward bite right out of the hole. I can confirm after seeing the car in person last weekend that it starts up as good as a new car and sounds the part. It's a very different behaving car from what I saw at the spring Good Guys. I'm glad you are learning all this EFI and suspension setup so you can come show me the way. Haha.

Country Flag: Norway
      Love this car!

Good music in a fun ride life doesn't get any better!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Did some Hard Parking last night...

Lance

NICE! I used to go to that show when I lived on that side of town. There is some neat hot rods that show up. I'm sure you had one of the more hardcore cars there from a handling perspective, but those lights sure make the car look amazing!

Hey Lance, is there a fee to show your car or do you have to register or do you just show up and park it where they tell you too? I'm kinda curious. I would like to show my car since it is essentially done now. I might try to make the next show.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com