Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Good plan to put the ignition on it's own relay. Don't forget to do the distributor phasing procedure.

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

on plugs have you tried NGK 7317 or Denso 5328?
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I would look into one of those Bussmann power distribution modules. There is a version with two busses. One for the 30 pins and one for trigger pin (86?). You can activate all relays with the pink wire and run the red/white wire for the ECU off that and have room for other devices.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      I'm gonna need a link here... :D

And maybe some reading glasses if we start talking about pinning pins and such...

Lance,

I'll post something later today. In the meantime, feel free to browse the waytekwire website.

Andrew

Lance,

That Amazon box looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a any internal busses. So you have to wire up all of the #30 terminals separately, instead of running one 4-6 gauge wire from the battery. This is why I suggested the Bussmann panel, as it is not just a relay center, but a power distribution module.

Andrew
      Still looking for that link?

I'm pretty sure the relay box I have isn't going to fit where I want to put it so I'm looking for other options once again. I tried to navigate around Waytek's site but frankly, for someone not knowing exactly what I'm looking for...it's not that easy to get around on.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Sorry....I thought I posted it here, but it must have been another thread...

https://www.waytekwire.com/wps/mypor...20IJGE61AK10I4

Use these relays, as they have a built in diode:
      https://www.waytekwire.com/wps/porta...20IJGE61AK10S5

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-28-2019 at 09:19 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew!!

- - - Updated - - -

Last Sat was 3 weeks from the start so I missed that deadline...Lord willing and the creeks don't rise I should be close to ready to fire by the end of week 4.

Engine itself is pretty buttoned up, spacer mod worked great, headers and mid pipes are back on with new graphite gaskets that fit great, V Band clamps and O2 bung worked out great as well. We'll see if there are any leaks once it makes heat...

Up top got all of the vacuum lines arranged and hooked back up. I have a bit of an issue with the AC line and the new raised radiator hose that I didn't plan on, it'll be fine for now but this may be the straw that humps me into finally getting my 34 year old lines replaced properly...

New starter wire, new alt charge wire and new engine to battery ground wire are in place on engine side and all ECU harness leads are at the battery area. Next up is wiring up a relay center and making all electrical connections to relay center and battery posts. Also need to run a power wire to the coil and tach signal wire to the gauge module.

Then once that is all done, making some fuel lines and installing the tank...then we test everything and make heat...

Gave these a new coat of Eastwood's high temp ceramic coating since they were out. last coat lasted over 3 years and still looked pretty good.

O2 port put the top of the sensor a little closer to floor than I would have preferred but it'll be okay. Someday I'll redo the whole exhaust properly and fix it then.

That's it for now...y'all are up top date... :D

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew
      Actually, I can't get those links to work either...unless you give me your login ID and password that is. ;)
      Lance

Got my relay box bracket fabbed and mounted along with my positive and negative distribution lugs.

It's behind the headlight in front of the core support right ahead of the battery. Pretty protected yet should be pretty easy to access as well if needed.

Pinned the wires to the fan relays to get my feet wet, went pretty well I think. Now onto the fun stuff...

Hope this works... **fingers crossed**

Lance

Looking pretty good!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks Andrew... Any idea what kind of local brick and mortar store would have a few non-insulated ring terminals? Home Depot had none... Grainger only sells boxes of 100. I need just a handful of a couple sizes is all...
      Lance

Ace hardware maybe
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Thanks Andrew... Any idea what kind of local brick and mortar store would have a few non-insulated ring terminals? Home Depot had none... Grainger only sells boxes of 100. I need just a handful of a couple sizes is all...
      I've given up on local stores. Most of the time the parts are junk. I just buy bags full from Waytek.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Local auto parts chain stores here have basic & sometimes higher quality terminals.

Ended up placing another order from Waytek. Gonna set me back a few more days but don't want to hurry this part of the install up with the wrong parts and pieces. First order from them still not here either, where do they usually ship out of?
      Lance

Minnesota
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I'm pretty stoked with how this turned out, so glad I took this route. Basically we took a new OEM carb (non-baffled) tank and adapted it with parts from vaporworx to hold a Gen 5 fuel module internally regulated to 58 psi with two corner pickups. The regulator lets us run a returnless system and since I have a non-vented gas cap we retained the stock pickup for a vent to the charcoal canister and the fuel level sender. My friend Mike Hitt had the pan cut and bent up at a local machine shop and then welded the pickup tabs and flange pan into the tank for me.

Here are a list of most of the parts used along with pics and links.

SPECTRA PREMIUM GM306A Carb Tank
      https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17455&jsn=4

ACDELCO MU1959 Gen 5 Camaro Fuel Module
      https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=2291898&jsn=1

fuel pump Module Mounting Ring – 304 Stainless.
      https://www.vaporworx.com/product/gm5ss/

Corner Pickup Kit
      https://www.vaporworx.com/product/cptkit/

fuel pressure regulator
      https://www.vaporworx.com/product/g5fpr/

Fuel Module Outlet Fitting 3/8″ to AN6 Male
      https://www.vaporworx.com/product/fpofgmqcan6/

This should give Barney a Fifth Gen Camaro fuel delivery system with OEM reliability and no fuel starve issues.

One more piece of the puzzle is in place, getting pretty close to finishing this project up.
      Lance

That will work awesome!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Wow, great looking tank and fix to a possible starvation problem Lance.

Nice fuel set up.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Thanks guys!!

So I spent some time in the shop as well today, finally finished up all the wiring. I'm not fast at it, nor the most neat and tidy at it, but I'm pretty sure the connections are all good and it all should work as designed when I light it off. **Fingers Crossed** I'm pretty happy with how the relay\fuse box worked out and where everything landed.

Here are the all new battery connections. The power to the ECU and engine harness are on the side post mounts, everything else is now powered and grounded through the top posts.

I ran new 2 ga wire to the starter and 6 ga wire to the Alt and engine ground. It's what I had laying around and I needed to extend them anyway to move them to the top posts. Also ran 10 ga from there to the positive and negative distribution blocks on front side of core support and to the body bolt on the fender.

Looking down behind the headlight in front of core support, you can see the relay\fuse box and the Positive distribution block on the radiator duct.

Better look at the ground block.

I struggled with making the leads short enough to be tidy but leaving them long enough to pull the box up out of the hole should I ever need to service anything on it. As it ended up I can just get it up on top of the cowl without having to unhook any wires. Once I'm sure everything works I'll tie some looms up to make sure they stay put.

View up at the bottom of the box...

This was taken before I had the box bolted down and the main leads finished.

I still have to do a bit of work under the dash, the wire from coil needs to be hooked to gauge module for the tach and the wires to fan switch are going to get shortened and cleaned up. Other than that though, I'm DONE with wires...

Just need to make up four fuel line connections, run the fuel line and filter...and put the tank back in and I'll be ready to fire it off for the first time. Unfortunately an impromptu trip out of town early next week will delay this until after we return. Glad I got time to get the wiring down before we left though.
      Lance

So I'm about to get back on the car after a week or so of being away. Next up is powering circuits thru the relay box and testing. I need to put fuses in and am not really sure what size to use? Hoping someone can help out with suggestions and be better than me just plugging in what seems right.

Electric Fan 1 -- 10 AWG wire 24" 20 Amp?
      Electric Fan 2 -- 10 AWG wire 24" 20 Amp?
      fuel pump -- 10 AWG wire 16' 25 Amp?
      ECU Red\W -- 14 AWG wire 15 Amp?
      Coil -- 14 AWG wire 15 Amp?

Also read in instructions again that the Red\White 12v switched wire for ECU should not be connected to a "dirty" source like an ignition coil.

I have the pink OEM wire that used to power on the OEM distributor split 4 ways with one of those turning on the relay that powers the Red\White ECU wire. The power for the relay comes from the dirty side of the battery thru a distribution block and fuse. I can't think of a cleaner way to power that wire, can you?
      Lance

the electrical stuff should have max current draw rating from the MFG.. one thing I found out with my 11" HP spal fans.. they are rated at 25A and would pop a 25A fuse on startup... did an inductive amp draw test.. sitting still they would spike 28-29A then settle down to 24-25A.. ran 30A fuses never had an issue.. had to up from 10ga to 8ga wire as well..
      in short find the amp draw rating and go next fuse bigger

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com