Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I wanted to come down to the valley but still not feeling very well after my blood clot... Looks like you had a great time.

Joe

Coming in hot!!!

A whole bunch more great photos Amanda Hitt took last weekend here...

https://adventurewife.smugmug.com/Go...s-Spring-2019/
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Started placing orders for parts today... The next stage of development is in the works.

It is strange to be pulling the car apart in April while all of my friends are just now getting their season started...but I've raced hard for the last 8 months and wore out a brand new set of tires since Sept 2018. It's time for a bit of a break...and to take a step back and take care of some things that need addressing.

A couple of events ago an old problem reared it's ugly head once again, the seal between the top plate and the body of the carburetor failed and now has the engine running VERY rich at the most inopportune times. I first noticed the delay in throttle response at the Good Guys event and then the last SCCA race of the year Keith and I struggled with keeping it running at idle and dealing with a slight delay in corner exit throttle. I watched him idle at the start line with black smoke just pumping out the tailpipes and made my decision. It is time to add EFI.

The Quadrajet has served me well, Bob built me a beautiful carb and in a perfect world...I'd leave it on. Operator error caused this issue the first time and it worked well for two years after the band-aide fix by Bob. With my new location here and the ability to race at elevations from Sea level up to 4500 feet within hours, I need a fuel delivery system that will comply with different oxygen levels easier.

Here is what I've chosen, starting from the fuel pump. After a LOT (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) of deliberation, I've decided to try the Holley EFI Muscle car tank (actually a Tanks Inc setup) that comes with a deeper cell, separate holes pre-drilled for sending unit and fuel pump\pickup and a 4.3 lt sump for the pickup to sit in.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-144

This will attach to my stock fuel line in a returnless type setup headed to the throttle body and the vent will attach to the vent line that runs up to the charcoal canister. The pump being internally regulated lets me dead head the fuel line at the throttle body and allows for a more plug n play install.

For the throttle body itself, I chose the Terminator EFI 4 bbl Throttle Body kit. This will sit on top of an Edlebrock Single plane high rise intake manifold. The main reason I chose the Terminator is because of the separate ECU which I can mount in a safe place and attach a laptop to for very fine tuning once I get it all up and running. The Sniper setup was a close second but I think I'll like the Terminator setup a bit better even though it's a bit more involved to install.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-405

Lastly, I spent the last day or so watching videos and researching ignition setups...trying to find the best reliable easy to setup ignition that the Terminator ECU can control the timing on. I was looking at the Holley Dual Sync and Hyperspark distributor setups and during one install video I noticed that setting up the dual sync is almost exactly the same as what I went thru to set up my MSD Pro-Billet Distributor that my 6AL-2 controls the timing on now. After a bit more investigation I discovered that I can in fact use my MSD Pro Billet distributor and 6AL-2 with the Terminator. This made me happy as I KNOW it works plus I don't have to lay out the cash and spend the time setting it all up once again.

I have found a local tuner with vast knowledge of this software and access to a dyno, so I'll most likely have him fine tune everything once all of the self learning is done and I've got some miles on the setup. It'll be interesting to see how a leaner WOT and that single plane intake will help my top end power.

So, the parts are ordered...hopefully most will be here before the end of the week and I can prepare to start laying things out. I am going to make some other changes as well like moving the O2 sensor up into the header collector and adding V-Band connectors to the header flanges and exhaust as well as trying a new better header gasket for between the flange and the head. I am also going to move the MSD and coil out from under the dash back into the engine bay to try to stop the interference with my Dakota Digital Dash that makes it read 15 MPH while sitting still.

My goal as always is for this upgrade to not take the car down for more than 2 weeks...which will require a lot of pre-planning. Wish me luck!!
      Lance

Sounds like a good plan. I think if it works out as it should, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.
      I had one of the first Holey analog projection units in the very early 90's & it was a real treat from a holley 4160 carb.
      I'm sure if you get the tank all set up first & have connectors needed, Run a 12v line to the back for the tank & have the exhaust & ignition stuff sitting at home ready to go, 2 weeks in a working man's schedule is very possible to be back up.
      Are you running just a large wire for the pump or also running a small switched wire & a relay?
      Ran a few new wires to the rear of my el camino recently. Removed door jamb vent & taped wires to a small pvc trim molding & easily fished wire to the rear of quarter panel where I had access hole. Then front of wire was fished back down to opening in sound deadening near seat belt mounts in storage area, your g-body may have similar access behind a panel. Then ran wires under carpet near door sill to under dash. Just a possible suggestion.

Sounds like a good plan Lance. I think once all the new parts bugs are ironed out, you'll really like the efi.

Sounds like a good plan. Once it is all sorted out, you will wish you had done this sooner. Just curious if you considered looking for a surplus NASCAR EFI.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Yes! Glad to see you're doing this. Shouldn't be too bad of a job. Let me know if you need another set of hands.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Sounds like a good plan. I think if it works out as it should, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.
      I had one of the first Holey analog projection units in the very early 90's & it was a real treat from a holley 4160 carb.
      I'm sure if you get the tank all set up first & have connectors needed, Run a 12v line to the back for the tank & have the exhaust & ignition stuff sitting at home ready to go, 2 weeks in a working man's schedule is very possible to be back up.
      Are you running just a large wire for the pump or also running a small switched wire & a relay?
      Ran a few new wires to the rear of my el camino recently. Removed door jamb vent & taped wires to a small pvc trim molding & easily fished wire to the rear of quarter panel where I had access hole. Then front of wire was fished back down to opening in sound deadening near seat belt mounts in storage area, your g-body may have similar access behind a panel. Then ran wires under carpet near door sill to under dash. Just a possible suggestion.
      Thanks... I haven't figured out how I'll do the wiring just yet, although I know I will be using a relay to fire the pump. The wiring will be the big unknown for this whole project until I get in and get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
      Sounds like a good plan Lance. I think once all the new parts bugs are ironed out, you'll really like the efi.
      I hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Sounds like a good plan. Once it is all sorted out, you will wish you had done this sooner. Just curious if you considered looking for a surplus NASCAR EFI.
      I hadn't no... I thought about piecing a setup together sourcing used parts and whatnot but in the end decided that I'm changing enough stuff as is, I'd like everything to be either new or verified working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Yes! Glad to see you're doing this. Shouldn't be too bad of a job. Let me know if you need another set of hands.
      Thanks Sean...
      Lance

So I have 4 coolant temp sensors currently wired up on my engine...and I can only think of 3 that I need. Anyone have any idea why I ended up with 4? :D

I'm game planning on where to put the new coolant temp sensor for the EFI (which will let me delete any that are electric fan related) but I'm not ready to disassemble the car just yet.

First is in Passenger side head, pretty sure it was the last one I added and is the cooler of my fan switch sensors.

Second is in the Driver side head, pretty sure it is for my Dakota Digital Dash

These two are in my Thermostat housing, pretty sure one of them is the second switch for the high speed fans, the other, have no clue...

What the hell would I need a 4th one for? It sucks to get old!!
      Lance

Lance,

Are you doing a Sniper system? You'll probably need just two. One for your gauges and the other for the Sniper. I believe the Sniper has fan control.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Lance,

Are you doing a Sniper system? You'll probably need just two. One for your gauges and the other for the Sniper. I believe the Sniper has fan control.

Andrew
      I'm doing the Terminator which has two fan control outputs.

I'm just trying to map out in my head what I have to do with the wiring once I tear it apart. Was shocked to see the extra sensor...can't wait to trace the wires down to see where it goes.
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post

I'm just trying to map out in my head what I have to do with the wiring once I tear it apart. Was shocked to see the extra sensor...can't wait to trace the wires down to see where it goes.
      Bit of automotive archeology?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Does the terminator switch ground? I have the sniper system and it switches ground, a real PITA.
      1963 Ford Falcon
      -331 Stroker Motor 450hp, 2700lbs
      2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Coolant temp switches also switch ground so there shouldn't be much of an issue or change in wiring...

Quote Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
      Coolant temp switches also switch ground so there shouldn't be much of an issue or change in wiring...
      Yep, that's the plan...pull the fan harness leads off the sensors and attach to the ECU fan control leads.
      Lance

If it's the Terminator that has the HP ECU, the outputs can be configured to be either ground of positive.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Have I ever mentioned before how much I hate headers on a street car?

I'm a bit out of practice, haven't had them off in 3 1/2 years and still took just two hours to get this far.

I was actually surprised at the condition of the header gaskets. These headers were not designed to use with raised port heads so we had to improvise to get them to work. I had some issues initially getting a gasket to seal up and work and this last set did pretty good. Only areas with signs of leakage were on # 6 and # 8 both due to bolts coming loose.

I bought a different set of gaskets this go around but now thinking I may go back with this part # again when it goes back together.

I'm not sure how this car was even running...by the look of the plugs...

3.5 years and about 5,000 very hard track miles on those plugs...the last part of that running very rich. It'll get a fresh set and fresh oil before it fires back up once again.
      Lance

Mystery solved...

Sometimes I amaze myself at the things I do. If one temp switch is good, two must be better right? :D
      Lance

Mystery solved...

Sometimes I amaze myself at the things I do. If one temp switch is good, two must be better right? :D
      I've done some strange things but have no idea how that is supposed to work...

Joe

Dude...

We need to have a chat...LOL

Installing the EFI will require due diligence with the wiring, otherwise you will be chasing your ass in circles trying to track down issues.

I am available this summer to travel for the EFI installation :-)

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 05-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com