Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 69 GTO Build

Country Flag: United States
      69 Goat... Good to see the Goat population multiplying... what wheels and tires are you running? I have roughly the same suspension as you, but using coil overs. I haven't figured out what size wheels and tires yet... most likely 20/19 but have no idea about the width until I have the car "loaded". Can you post any side view pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmonty View Post
      69 Goat... Good to see the Goat population multiplying... what wheels and tires are you running? I have roughly the same suspension as you, but using coil overs. I haven't figured out what size wheels and tires yet... most likely 20/19 but have no idea about the width until I have the car "loaded". Can you post any side view pics?
      I went with 18's all the way around. 18 x 8's in the front, and 18 x 10's in the back.

I don't have any straight on side view pictures yet, this is the best I have. I had 13" of clearance in my rear wheel well, and with the offset of 6" it was fine. I had an offset of 4.50 in the front. At some point, I will be putting a wider wheel on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by 69*Goat View Post
      I went with 18's all the way around. 18 x 8's in the front, and 18 x 10's in the back.

I don't have any straight on side view pictures yet, this is the best I have. I had 13" of clearance in my rear wheel well, and with the offset of 6" it was fine. I had an offset of 4.50 in the front. At some point, I will be putting a wider wheel on the front.
      Very nice! What size tires in the rear? I like the air dam too... Where'd you get it?

345/30-19 test fit

Hey nice to hear some encouragement for a change, most people just look at me funny and think I am crazy.
      Mike I am lucky to have friends with rotisseries, good luck with the paint. 69 Goat I like your Goat get together idea when they are done, jealous of your car looking so good, wish I still lived in Texas so I could have focused on fun stuff instead of rust.
      Moved the inner wheel well in 2 3/4" and I think I should go more to be safe. When the tire is bottomed out I have around 1/4" clearance both sides. Could do some more rolling - trimming on outer lip.

Name:  DSC07846.jpg
Views: 3055
Size:  64.2 KBName:  DSC07850.jpg
Views: 3066
Size:  94.1 KBName:  DSC07847.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  50.2 KBName:  DSC07848.jpg
Views: 3039
Size:  66.9 KBName:  DSC07855.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  81.2 KBName:  DSC07863.jpg
Views: 3126
Size:  81.3 KBName:  DSC07864.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  82.3 KBName:  DSC07866.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  58.0 KB
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Very nice! What size tires in the rear? I like the air dam too... Where'd you get it?
      The rear tires are 295/35-18 BFG Rivals. The front air dam was purchased from a guy named GTO John on Performance years.

Here: http://www.minnesota-muscle.com/

Eric, that is A LOT of meat you're putting back there. That will look mean as hell!! Keep it up!! Thank you for the compliment.

Those tires look sweet mocked up under the Goat !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

Eric... AWESOME! I'm sure I speak for everyone, we can not wait to see the end result!

69Goat, thanks for the reference... I'll give it a shot.

Get back to work everyone!

Great build!

My goodness you have a huge project in front of you. Keep up the good work! These cars take time. I spent almost two years working on mine and hired most the work out as I am disabled. Bad back and heart failure. The end result is worth it. Here is a pic of mine. I owned the car for almost 40 years. In the end it all works out. I hope this motivates you.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Guys, as promised, I shot the under side of the deck lid. This is my first time doing a restoration, so I'm kind of excited about the "light at the end of the tunnel". Just need to finish wet sanding the primer, and I'll shoot the outside.

Roger,

Good to see you on this site. In all honesty, I came across your car online a few years ago and have used it (and your story) as motivation/inspiration/ and design ideas. The Goat I'm working on was purchased brand new, by my Dad. I learned to drive on it... when I went away for college, it sat and deteriorated to the point of becoming non-functional. I finally got possession a little over two years ago and doing all the work myself. Almost there!

Name:  TrunkLidUnderside Painted Close UP.jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  113.4 KBName:  TrunkLidUnderside Painted.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  136.9 KB

Rear Suspension

[QUOTE=Fastmonty;1028618]Guys, as promised, I shot the under side of the deck lid. This is my first time doing a restoration, so I'm kind of excited about the "light at the end of the tunnel". Just need to finish wet sanding the primer, and I'll shoot the outside.

Thanks for all the inspiring words guys! I feel like I am still going backwards sometimes but it helps to get encouragement from everyone.
      Lookin good Mike! I like the color and was thinking about going that route with the top half of the car flat black.
      Hey Roger,I would like to second what Mike said! Your car and your story has inspired me over the last few years to finally pull my GTO out of the woods and get it done. Your car looks amazing.
      I have owned my GTO since 1985, I bought it for $250. with a blown motor and lots of body damage but I loved it anyways. Was attempting to fix it up back then but life got in the way, Mom and Dad were nice enough to let me keep it behind the shed, also in boxes in the attic, garage and basement. I am sure it will be another few years since I work slow but it will be fun.

Name:  Green PaintGTOl.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  234.3 KBName:  GTOblasted.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  692.3 KB
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19

[QUOTE=ekmxryda;1028661]
      I have owned my GTO since 1985, I bought it for $250. with a blown motor and lots of body damage but I loved it anyways. Was attempting to fix it up back then but life got in the way, Mom and Dad were nice enough to let me keep it behind the shed, also in boxes in the attic, garage and basement. I am sure it will be another few years since I work slow but it will be fun.
      Tell me more about the history of you and the car. That is what makes it all worth while in the end. Wow, 1985 goes back a few years. You most have some interesting stories.

Roger

OMG ROGER!!!!

glad youre still alive and kickin MAN!!!!!!!!

History

Hi Roger,
      I was a little grease monkey for as long as I can remember, my Dad used to take me to the local track days and Autocross races, then let me hang out in the garage when they worked on their cars.
      In High School I wanted a 69 GTO but had no money so when a beat up 69 Custom S came up for sale I grabbed it. That car needed something fixed once or twice a week so it was the best education, although doing repairs in the middle of winter outside was not fun. Trips to the junkyard to scavenge for parts that might be better than mine were a common weekend activity. On one trip I noticed someone following me for a few miles, he pulled up next to me at the junkyard and asked if I wanted to buy some GTO parts off of his totaled car. After getting the rundown of how he threw a rod in the motor and rolled it over a rock wall while street racing drunk I checked out what was still good on the car and then offered him $250. I think the car is finally happy I am getting around to fixing it up after all these years of neglect! I have always hoped to be able to make my vision for this car a reality, it is really inspiring to hear encouragement from everyone on the forum as well.

One of my Dads Autocross dune buggies, he was into the small cars, MG's, Healeys...

Name:  MedrivingGTO.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  893.0 KBName:  DSC01106.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  125.4 KBName:  DSC01100.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  145.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Eric

Love the pics and great story !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

New Frame

Big boost for the GTO today! Just got off the phone with Tony at the Roadster Shop.
      I am excited that my cautious frugal side was convinced by my wild and crazy side to make the jump and go for it!
      Thanks to my wife for not killing me too!

Name:  frame 3_4.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  128.6 KB
      Eric

Awesome update! There are many of us living vicariously through this thread :-)

Quote Originally Posted by IROCgiraffe View Post
      Awesome update! There are many of us living vicariously through this thread :-)

Thanks for the support!

Think I just saved at least a year of work by ordering the frame from the Roadster Shop.
      Now I need to get the body done while they build it over the next few months.
      Mini Tubs, moving inner tub in 3" (40" between inner wheel tubs)
      Floors, raise Trans Tunnel...
      I just did a quick Photoshop job over the Jim Wangers GTO to get me motivated. Still planning on flat black with metallic dark green graphics (that I need to figure out someday).

Name:  1969WangerJudge.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  145.4 KB
      Eric

A Roadster Shop Frame!!!

Ok, now I'm jealous!!!

Those aren't cheap, that was a planned upgrade for me in about 3-5 years.

Nice!

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast