Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 69 GTO Build

Country Flag: United States

Mini Tub

Hi Cameron,
      Have you checked out the 70 Chevelle Tim is building, the Widowmaker? He did a nice job on the inner tubs, looks like a lot of work but worth the effort since the factory inners seem too close at the corners.
      A few weeks ago Tony at ABC said for the 68-72 that "The inner tubs are not ready yet, but we do offer a modified pair for $550.00 to fit with our frame mini tub kit."
      But you should double check and call him and let me know.
      I might look into these Alston Chassisworks steel tubs, they might be too big but I could cut them down. https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-433...x40-steel.aspx
      I will be running the same size tire as you 345/30-19 (subscribed and been following you too) how much did you narrow the frame? I plan on rolling the outer lip as well.
      Plan on getting the body on the rotisserie, do the tubs and then make a frame jig to do the cutting of the rear frame rails.
      Name:  DSC05007.jpg
Views: 13219
Size:  71.5 KBName:  DSC05086.jpg
Views: 4876
Size:  52.1 KBName:  DSC05083.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  34.1 KBName:  DSC05082.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  39.2 KBName:  DSC05074.jpg
Views: 4932
Size:  51.7 KBName:  DSC04993.jpg
Views: 4393
Size:  57.2 KB

Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Eric,
      I talked to Tony yeasterday at ABC about the 68-72 mini tubs and got the same answer as you. The inners that he has currently would be reproductions inners that are cut, stretched, and welded up. He also said that he is getting tooled up to have the stetched inners stamped, but won't be available for a while. I'm considering ordering reproduction inners and outers and stretching them myself, but still not sure.

On my frame, I built a 5' X 16' welding table and attached the frame to it. I haven't made the cuts yet but I am working with a machine shop here to have my frame rail cut out of 11ga. steel from a pattern made from the original frame rails. Then I will box them up and weld it to the frame with the factory rails still in place. I will have to brace them up real well to ensure nothing moves. Then I'll cut the factory rails out once the modified ones are in. The process will be a lot like a Buick GN on this site, heres a link to his build thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...built-Buick-GN
      Cameron Miller
      Link to 1970 GTO Build Thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Pro-Tour-Build

do you have a front bumper? If not I have one that's ruff but straight and repairable.
      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by cwmiller View Post

On my frame, I built a 5' X 16' welding table and attached the frame to it. I haven't made the cuts yet but I am working with a machine shop here to have my frame rail cut out of 11ga. steel from a pattern made from the original frame rails. Then I will box them up and weld it to the frame with the factory rails still in place. I will have to brace them up real well to ensure nothing moves. Then I'll cut the factory rails out once the modified ones are in. The process will be a lot like a Buick GN on this site, heres a link to his build thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...built-Buick-GN
      Thanks for the link Cameron, he is doing some nice work on that Buick. I like how he welded the new frame rails in and then cut the factory ones out. I hope to use an old trailer as a frame jig and weld it all in place so nothing moves, I am jealous of the frame table you made.
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19

Quote Originally Posted by cobragt View Post
      do you have a front bumper? If not I have one that's ruff but straight and repairable.
      Hi Paul,
      I have one in similar condition but thanks for the offer. Was thinking about going with a (painted) steel 68 LeMans front bumper that is much lighter, or a fiberglass one. Gotta get some weight off the front.
      Eric

Some Progress

Super busy at work lately, wish I had more time to work on it.
      Tail Panel, both Cowl corners and Firewall off the list. Bunch of spots around the windshield and back glass need repair. Still looking into flush glass kits if someone has info?
      Almost ready to get the body on the rotisserie and start the Mini Tubs and Trans Tunnel.
      Name:  DSC05312.jpg
Views: 4341
Size:  173.6 KBName:  DSC05323.jpg
Views: 4457
Size:  251.5 KBName:  DSC05337.jpg
Views: 4586
Size:  299.5 KBName:  DSC05344.jpg
Views: 4393
Size:  129.4 KB
      Eric

looking good... my buddy i teach automotive with has a 69 gto that is just a hair farther along. he also put quarters, floors, winshield channel ect.. keep plugging away and your doing a hell of a job. Get this beast done so thier is a few more mass guys.. we are not as strong in numbers as some of the areas.

[/ATTACH]
      Quote Originally Posted by 66larkgs View Post
      looking good... my buddy i teach automotive with has a 69 gto that is just a hair farther along. he also put quarters, floors, winshield channel ect.. keep plugging away and your doing a hell of a job. Get this beast done so thier is a few more mass guys.. we are not as strong in numbers as some of the areas.
      Hi Paul,
      Thanks for the support, I agree we need more gearheads up here in Mass! I feel like we are an endangered species in these parts! Oh well I cant wait to get some dirty looks from the hybrid driver next to me at the lights, haha. Hope it is finished in a year or two, I work way too slow and never have much time to work on it.
      The Skylark looks fun! Tell your friend I could send him a list of parts I wont
      Picked up a metal 69 Impala dash, hope to do something like this with the carbon fiber insert and all new gauges. Will need to shrink the width about three inches and do a custom dash pad.
      Attachment 72762[ATTACH=CONFIG]72763
      Eric

Dash

Sorry I messed up the picts last post.
      Name:  hppp_1003_10_z+1967_pontiac_gto+dash_pad.jpg
Views: 4465
Size:  273.5 KBName:  DSC05241.jpg
Views: 4103
Size:  106.8 KB
      Eric

Eric,

I just came across this thread and love the work you're doing... I too am in the middle of a 69 GTO re-build. I can't wait to scare some Prius's and Tesla's too... I live in CA, so there are a ton of those on the road. Anyway, how's the project coming? I'm in the finishing stages of sanding primer... should be shooting color within the month. I really wish I knew about the mini-tub idea, last year. Not sure how wide I can get without the tubs? I hope 305's??? Do you happen to know?

Mike
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmonty View Post
      Eric,

I just came across this thread and love the work you're doing... I too am in the middle of a 69 GTO re-build. I can't wait to scare some Prius's and Tesla's too... I live in CA, so there are a ton of those on the road. Anyway, how's the project coming? I'm in the finishing stages of sanding primer... should be shooting color within the month. I really wish I knew about the mini-tub idea, last year. Not sure how wide I can get without the tubs? I hope 305's??? Do you happen to know?

Mike
      Hey Mike,
      Thanks, nice to hear from another Goat owner! Wish I was almost ready for paint too. Sad to say my progress has slowed down over the summer, as usual we have been super busy at work. I hope to get a lot done over the next few months.
      I think you can safely fit a 295 in the rear, you should poke around on the forum though. Good luck.
      Eric

tire width

Check out roadbusters build, he has a 68 with 305's and he might have went to 315's without tubbing.

Rotisserie

Name:  DSC07725.jpg
Views: 4656
Size:  59.8 KBName:  DSC07804.jpg
Views: 4418
Size:  55.5 KBName:  DSC07805.jpg
Views: 3990
Size:  63.5 KB

Getting ready to attack the mini tub job. Planning out raising the trans tunnel and floor repair next, then it is time to make some frame mods. (Or convince the wife I need a Roadster Shop, or similar frame, haha)
      Eric

Eric,
      Hey man it looks good. It looks like it is coming along well. Keep us updated. I am still her in AGH, I am actually leaving today. I should be back in the states in a couple weeks going at it strong with all the parts I have collected.

Looking good !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

Quote Originally Posted by SShep71 View Post
      Eric,
      Hey man it looks good. It looks like it is coming along well. Keep us updated. I am still her in AGH, I am actually leaving today. I should be back in the states in a couple weeks going at it strong with all the parts I have collected.
      Hey SShep,
      That is great you are heading home, welcome back!
      Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 67speedfreak View Post
      Looking good !
      Thanks, looks like you are getting a lot of metal work done!
      Will have to stop by next time I am down in Florida.
      Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ekmxryda View Post
      Thanks, looks like you are getting a lot of metal work done!
      Will have to stop by next time I am down in Florida.
      Yeah, I wish the metal work was done. I have a long way to go.
      Stop on in !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

Quote Originally Posted by ekmxryda View Post
      Hey Mike,
      Thanks, nice to hear from another Goat owner! Wish I was almost ready for paint too. Sad to say my progress has slowed down over the summer, as usual we have been super busy at work. I hope to get a lot done over the next few months.
      I think you can safely fit a 295 in the rear, you should poke around on the forum though. Good luck.
      Eric,

Agreed! Not too many of us Goat lovers out there. It turns out Shep is not too far from me, so I'm sure we'll be rolling soon. BTW, I don't know what I'm more jealous of ... your rotisserie, or your garage floor! Ha! Awesome. I should be spraying color on the bottom side of the deck lid this weekend, I'll try and post pics...

Get back to work...

Mike

Wow!!!! Another Goat!!! Sweet! I am so grateful that mine did not have to have the sheet metal repair that a few of the current GTO projects on here have had to have. I would have had to take a welding class. That's not a bad thing, just time consuming. All of the GTO's currently being built here are going to look sweet when completed. Might have to have a PT Goat get together... :D

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast