Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Welding table construction advice needed

Hey guys,

I need some advice on a welding table design. I have 4 large metal storage cabinets that I plan to attach to one another and create the "base" of the table. The cabinets are 38 inches tall and are not strong enough to support a heavy table top or handle significant abuse. My plan is to build a frame around the cabinets out of square 1/8 thick tubing and mount the cabinets inside the table frame. Being that the cabinets are 38 inches tall, the addtion of 2x2 square tubing would bring the height of the frame to 42 inches (not including the top). My issue then is the casters. I need the table to move around freely and need to add wheels. Any load appropriate casters I have seen would add a minimum of 3 inches to the overall height of the table, bringing it to approximately 45 inches tall. Now I would prefer a higher work surface but is 45" too high? I thought of switching out the 2x2 tubing for 1.5 x 3 which would save me an inch in height. Would it be wise to mount caster mounting brackets "outboard" of the table frame instead of underneath? The table would be used for many purposes in my home garage/shop but would not be subjected to crazy industrial loads. I would probably plan on using a 3/8 to 1/2 thick table top. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
      Ken
      Ken B.
      65 GTO
      67 Firebird vert

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com