Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks. I cant remember the backspacing, its been a while since I had wheels off. I got them used with a bunsh of other parts so I have no receipt to go off of. Scott

offset?

Quote Originally Posted by 67rally View Post
      Here's one more. This photo is from when I first put the new tire/wheels on, and before I did the rear suspension, but shows how deep the tires/wheels sit. There's not much room on the inside, but looks like there's room to go wider on the outside.

Can you go up to the lip or should you be inside the lip? I am about to buy some tires and wheels and I am starting to second guess myself....confused

Quote Originally Posted by MY 3 BOYZ View Post
      Can you go up to the lip or should you be inside the lip? I am about to buy some tires and wheels and I am starting to second guess myself....confused
      You definitely have to be inside the lip, otherwise it may slice your tire on full compression. I thought I could run a 295 without tubs, but I'm not so sure any longer. I'm going to tub it this fall in order to go wider. I got rid of the leaf springs and switched to a ridetech 4 link earlier this year.

Going wider than a 275 on a 9.5 inch wheel would be a significant risk with no real benefit imho...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Our customers without mini tubs generally order 18 X 9 for the rear. We have a wheel measurement guide on our website that should help you determine just what will fit the front and rear. You can download it at http://bit.ly/2wOFXJx

Hello All,

Need help!!! Did any of you guys go with a true custom wheel? I am trying to buy a wheel (American Racing VN327 - Billet Wheel) It is custom made with the offsets that you select/dictate. Because it is custom, it can be made bigger than what the actual measurements are. They will make the wheel exactly the way you want it. I was looking at a 18 x 9 for the rear(-12 offset) and a 18 x 8 for the fronts(-6 offset).

The current wheels and tires on the car on all (4) wheels is 225 55 16, 8" wide, with a -6 offset.

REAR:
      Based on these measurements, I am fine to the inboard side of the car. I have approx 1 1/2" of clearance. My problem is the outer measurement. I want a larger offset so that the lip on the wheel is deep, I really like that look. According to one of these tire/wheel calculators (https://www.rimsntires.com/), if I go with a -12 offset, the wheel will stick out a additional 16mm from where it is currently. Plus add the additional measurement for going with a wider rim (going from a 8" to a 9"). My math is as follows: 16mm (offset additions) + 12.7mm (account for the 1/2 " in rim width) = 28.7 mm or 1.12". These numbers don't include the additional measurement fo r the tire. It seems way outside the lip. I dropped a plum line from the inside of the fender lip and I was almost line to line with the current tire.

I do not want to tub the car. My car is painted and done.

FRONT:
      I was gonna go with the same offset that I have on the fronts now, -6.

Sure hope I didn't confuse anyone......I'm a bit confused....

Thoughts aNYONE...i HAVE A 1967 cAMARO

Need help!!! Did any of you guys go with a true custom wheel? I am trying to buy a wheel (American Racing VN327 - Billet Wheel) It is custom made with the offsets that you select. They will make the wheel exactly the way you want it. I was looking at a 18 x 9 for the rear(-12 offset) and a 18 x 8 for the fronts(-6 offset). Based on these measurements, I am fine to the inboard side of the car. I have approx 1 1/2". My problem is the outer measurement. Is the tire supposed to be tucked on the inside of the fender lip? Or can I get close. I don't want to short change my self and go with the wrong measurements.....Thoughts anyone...i have a 1967 Camaro
      When positive offset wheels fit correctly, why would you order wheels with negative offsets? A 9" wheel with -12 offset would have 4.5" backspace. An 8" wheels with -6 offset would have 4.25" backspace.

Need help!!! Did any of you guys go with a true custom wheel? I am trying to buy a wheel (American Racing VN327 - Billet Wheel) It is custom made with the offsets that you select. They will make the wheel exactly the way you want it. I was looking at a 18 x 9 for the rear(-12 offset) and a 18 x 8 for the fronts(-6 offset). Based on these measurements, I am fine to the inboard side of the car. I have approx 1 1/2". My problem is the outer measurement. Is the tire supposed to be tucked on the inside of the fender lip? Or can I get close. I don't want to short change my self and go with the wrong measurements.....Thoughts aNYONE...i HAVE A 1967 cAMARO
      9" wheel should have 5.25 backspacing per earlier post in this thread. 9.5" wheel should have 5.5 backspacing. The answers you are looking for are in this thread. You should center the wheel in the tub so you have equal clearance on both sides of the tire.

This calculator will convert backspacing to offset:

https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I want the wheel to have depth. I've seen it on other Camaro's and it looks great. The more offset, it makes the wheel look deeper, however, it brings the wheel outboard toward the fender lip.

you are correct, 9" wheel with (0) offset has a 5.25" backspacing. With a - offset it deepens the wheel. The attached picture is not my car, however, my car is identical. These are the wheels that I want.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

what was the offset? Were you allowed to custom that wheel?

you are correct, 9" wheel with (0) offset has a 5.25" backspacing. With a - offset it deepens the wheel. The attached picture is not my car, however, my car is identical. These are the wheels that I want.
      A 9" width wheel with zero offset has 5" of backspacing. 5.25" bs would be a +6 offset. Sure, negative offsets gives a deeper dish wheel but at the expense of clearance issues on the outer fenders.

I want the wheel to have depth. I've seen it on other Camaro's and it looks great. The more offset, it makes the wheel look deeper, however, it brings the wheel outboard toward the fender lip.
      Sure you can jack up the rear with some nice shackles like we did back in the good old days if all you care about is having a wide wheel lip. Otherwise adhere to the numbers given in this thread to avoid rubbing on the wheel lip...

Another option is to narrow the rear end...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by 67rally View Post
      Here's one more. This photo is from when I first put the new tire/wheels on, and before I did the rear suspension, but shows how deep the tires/wheels sit. There's not much room on the inside, but looks like there's room to go wider on the outside.

did you happen to measure how much room there is to go on the outside?
      T.O.
      1967 Camaro - "Herja"

Where are you all dining 9.5 wheels with a 5.5 offset? I’ve looked and can’t find them. Would like to put the ridler 610 on my car but 5.25 is as good as I can find… if I need to I’ll roll the lip. Doesn’t matter to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com