Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
      Country Flag: United States
      I recently wrapped my exhaust system the same way. Was pleasantly surprised at the results. Seems to have eliminated some of the higher frequency noise, such that the tone inside the cabin is much more of a lower frequency growl. Hard to explain in words, but I love it.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

For the love of OCD.

Well for the love of OCD, I decided that I wanted my rear calipers positioned rearward to match with the fronts. If anyone knows F-Bodies, they are a staggered setup. I also wanted to run Cal-Tracs and Ride-Tech subframe connectors with a 2" drop spring. Parts were purchased so let the fun begin. Running the calipers reward there was now interference on the passenger shock so I figured I could just cut the shock mount from the Cal-Tracks leaf plate and re weld on the opposite side however that would bring the shock closer to the tire... so can't let that happen seeing as the plan was to run a 285 tire. So, after some searching on the net, I found a shock relocation kit on performanceonline.com (Part #:RSRK7081). This moved the shock from the inside of the tub to the inner frame rail, but, added another leaf plate. Only thing I could do at this point was to cut the and weld the two plates together.

Name:  wilwood.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  310.0 KBName:  RSRK7081_700W.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  44.2 KBName:  shaved bracket.jpg
Size:  249.9 KBName:  bracket.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  279.1 KB

Thinking that I was out of the woods, the 2" drop springs from Summit have a 1/2" smaller ID eyelet on the forward leaf spring mount than factory. Well Cal-Tracs has a press-in aluminum bushing that is to match the factory 2" ID eyelet, not a 1.5"... So, had to take the bushings to work and have them turned down.

Name:  IMG_20230930_114133_01.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  199.4 KBName:  bushing1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  177.4 KBName:  bushing2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  115.8 KB

Now that I could mount the leaf springs, Ride-Tech subframe connectors were put into position for mock up... Cal-Tracs track bar bolt was just long enough to cause interfearance with the spring pocket.... so everything had to come back out and shaved down.

Name:  interfearance.jpg
Size:  312.0 KBName:  shaved.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  274.5 KB

With everything fitting relatively well, it all went back into the car. Leaf’s fit, sub-frame connectors in, brackets on. So, starting to mount up the backing plates for the brakes, I noticed that the through-bolts for the calipers are just high enough that made them non removeable due to the leaf springs being in the way. I was not going to pull C-Clips and Axles every brake change... so noticed that there are (3) hex head bolts that mount the caliper backing plate... 2 were exposed, one was a tight fit, but I could get to it. So, I cut an Allen down just enough to squeeze in between the leaf and the backing plate.

Name:  caliper.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  219.3 KBName:  tool.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  120.9 KBName:  rear weld bracket.jpg
Size:  245.2 KBName:  welded bracket.jpg
Size:  287.6 KBName:  partial complete.jpg
Size:  235.1 KB

A lot of work but the end result looks nice I suppose... lol. Up next is to measure and order new rear shocks.
      -Bennyhaha

Spindle Milling

If you are going to run 2" drop spindles and Wilwood D52's there is a slight interfearance below the caliper that you will need to mill slightly. Not sure if this is the case with all manufacturers but I purchased McGaughy's drop spindles (Summit part # MMC-7981). I mocked the fit up prior to the car and marked on the spindle where additional clearance was needed. A carbide bit made quick work of gaining the clearance needed.

Name:  CalInterfear.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  298.1 KBName:  Closeupinterfear.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  255.5 KBName:  milled.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  303.1 KBName:  milled 2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  356.8 KB
      -Bennyhaha

Looks great man. I'm not sure I follow exactly why you had to modify the shock plate, but I'm glad it all works now!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Leaf brackets supplied by Cal-Tracs have a shock mount, but that is for factory shock mounting locations. Seeing that I moved both calipers to pointing rearward (instead of staggard as it left the factory), shock interference on the driver side would now be apparent. I could not flip the Cal-Tracs bracket side to side because that would then make the mounting location from car (outside the leaf spring) to bracket (inside of leaf). The POL brackets moved the shock mounting location from outside the wheel well to the inside of the frame rail but could not stack both brackets on top of each other. So only opportunity was to cut the POL bracket and weld it to the Cal-Tracs bracket. Quite a few dollars went into the swear jar.

-Bennyhaha

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com