Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      interesting rust solution... don't know if anyone has tried this yet... but i figured while i was away at work i could still work on getting some smaller pieces finished up by using electrolosis... basically creating an electric charge to create a chemical reaction .. just need a battery charger .. some washing soda and some water... cost about 10 bucks to do... so i decided to give it a shot.....this is a before shot... i'll do an update with an after shot...

Attached Images Attached Images    
      -Bennyhaha

how do you hook up the leads?
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

attach the neg. lead to what ever piece you are removing the rust from..

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73 View Post
      how do you hook up the leads?
      -Bennyhaha

I actually did this years ago, basically the same way you are doing it now. It worked pretty good, nothing to brag about. There was definitly some work that had to be done follow on. I surrounded the control arm I was doing with metal on all four sides, hooked up the leads, added water, then baking soda, checked the PH and turned the power on. I let it go like 5 hours, but it was pretty cool considering.

heck if i can save some time ... and do it while i'm working ... i'll give it a whirl...

Quote Originally Posted by SShep71 View Post
      I actually did this years ago, basically the same way you are doing it now. It worked pretty good, nothing to brag about. There was definitly some work that had to be done follow on. I surrounded the control arm I was doing with metal on all four sides, hooked up the leads, added water, then baking soda, checked the PH and turned the power on. I let it go like 5 hours, but it was pretty cool considering.
      -Bennyhaha

I use the electrolysis all the time on complex parts that would be difficult to hit with a wire wheel or grinder. Or if Im just really lazy.
      Ive been getting great results with it lately
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I can see the benefits of it and some drawbacks. I guess if it is fine tuned it could be a great way to clean parts.

what are your ratios that you are usuing??... right now i'm using 1/2 cup to 5gal of water..

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      I use the electrolysis all the time on complex parts that would be difficult to hit with a wire wheel or grinder. Or if Im just really lazy.
      Ive been getting great results with it lately
      -Bennyhaha

Nice project, always have loved the 78-81 Z28s!
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

Thanks!... it's been a fun project this far

Quote Originally Posted by ed1le View Post
      Nice project, always have loved the 78-81 Z28s!
      -Bennyhaha

well got the engine and trans mocked up this weekend... really like the fit and finish of the BRP motor mounts... however... not to impressed with the way the cross-member had to be installed... for anyone doing this ... easiest way is to completely remove the sub-frame... and do everything on the floor... also had to weld 2 wrenches together to get far enough in the sub frame to tighten the bolts down ... you would think for $600 everything would be a complete bolt in... anyways... it's in.... got to install the new suspension and steering components, coil overs... and run brake lines next... Name:  20121202_134346.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  169.5 KBName:  20121202_134243.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  180.5 KB
      -Bennyhaha

Quote Originally Posted by LUV2XLR8 View Post
      ... you would think for $600 everything would be a complete bolt in...
      Unfortunately, custom is another word for universal, which usually means that it won't just bolt in. Your engine bay looks awesome!! I am jealous. You did a great job filling in the imperfections. Sorry if I missed it, but what paint did you use for the firewall?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

thanks!.. it turned out pretty well i think... i used dupli-color spray on bed armor... i like the look of that stuff better than a gloss... plus durability wont be so much of an issue

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Unfortunately, custom is another word for universal, which usually means that it won't just bolt in. Your engine bay looks awesome!! I am jealous. You did a great job filling in the imperfections. Sorry if I missed it, but what paint did you use for the firewall?
      -Bennyhaha

Merry Christmas to myself... got some goodies last night... hopefully i can get the front suspension and steering components in this weekend
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      -Bennyhaha

Control Arms are from BMR Suspension.. unbelievable quality.... and unbelievable service... would like to give a big thank you to Kyle for providing exceptional help when I purchased them... Only took about 4 days to get to my door and completely built/assembled in the USA... you Pro-Touring guys check BMR out before you decide to throw your cash at anyone else!!!!.... Highly recommended.
      -Bennyhaha

Quote Originally Posted by LUV2XLR8 View Post
      Control Arms are from BMR Suspension.. unbelievable quality.... and unbelievable service... would like to give a big thank you to Kyle for providing exceptional help when I purchased them... Only took about 4 days to get to my door and completely built/assembled in the USA... you Pro-Touring guys check BMR out before you decide to throw your cash at anyone else!!!!.... Highly recommended.

Thanks Ben! I'm just sorry that I wasn't here to take care of you myself! I think you must have called while I was setting up our booth at the PRI show in Orlando.

The car looks great as a previous late 2nd gen owner (I owned a '78 & '79). Keep the pictures coming!

No worries at all Rich! I'll be sure to contact you the next time that I call to place an order!.. i was taken back by the amount of craftsmanship that goes into your products, which exceeds your competitors by far! That along with the excellent customer service has made me one big satisfied customer. I cannot wait to get back out there and beat the snot out of those control arms!... hope everything went well for you at the PRI show! please let me know if I can help you out at all

-Ben

QUOTE=BMR Sales;955185]Thanks Ben! I'm just sorry that I wasn't here to take care of you myself! I think you must have called while I was setting up our booth at the PRI show in Orlando.

The car looks great as a previous late 2nd gen owner (I owned a '78 & '79). Keep the pictures coming![/QUOTE]
      -Bennyhaha

That is great news! The PRI show was great and it is always great to meet guys who share our passion for cars and the industry. The PRI show is moving from Orlando to Indy next year so maybe you can make it to hang out in our booth with us????

Wow!... thats a big distance difference... my wife actually has family in hagerstown which is about 45min away from indy. You guys doing it at the track or..?, do you know the dates of next years show? Im hopeing to have the car finished possibly spring/early summer... (depending on how much time the wife lets me hang out in the garage) but it would be pretty to hang out in the booth with you guys!...just keep me posted and please pass along the information when you get it... :D
      -Bennyhaha

Looking good!

LUV2XLR8, I know Haggerstown! Never thought I'd see it mentioned here!
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com