Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My 65' Impala SS Project....

Hey folks,
      I have been here for a while, but am just now getting around to posting some pics of my car. I bought this car when I was 16 in 2000, as my first car. Have always loved this body, and although I have changed my mind a million times on the direction of the build, I seem to always have a bit of pro-touring inspiration. Really, I just like to drive it and am happy to change whatever is necessary to make that experience more pleasurable.

So, though I would love to have an LS engine, I currently have the correct 327, with a mild cam and camel hump heads. Hindsight is 20/20, so if I were to do it over, I would have built a big block or LS. Once this engine gives up, LS it is!

I swapped the powerglide for a 200-R4, and changed gears from 3.07 to 3.73 in my 12 bolt. This made a huge difference! I also, put 13" disc brakes up from and added a power booster.

I am running 18" wheels up front and 20" wheels out back, and again, didn't know what I know now when concerning my tire choice. I will choose differently once these wear out. I added dropped spindles, and 3" lowering springs in the rear, and have no rubbing issues at all and I do like the stance.

I also upgraded the standard 20:1 ratio steering box to a 12.7:1 quick ratio steering box, which give much more responsive steering and road feel.

Future mods will be upgrading my factory rear control arms and going with poly bushings. Also, will be adding an upgraded sway bar for the front, and putting a bar out back.

Not long after adding my brakes last year, I hit a deer and crunched in my front end and ended up getting a new clip. I decided to replace the rear quarter as it showed signs of a poorly done previous repair, so I am currently learning to weld while I put that panel on. After I finish the body work, I'll put on a fresh coat of white and drive!

While not through and through pro-touring, I chose mods that give me no excuse to not drive this car. It was my daily in high school, and in college, and I am now able to have it as my secondary car. Also, I love seeing all your high dollar cars, but enjoy the fact that I have done literally everything to this car myself. Like many of you, I will NEVER be getting rid of this car, and I am as excited to drive it today as I was when I first got it.

Pre- Deer Incident:

Deer Damage:

The rebuild/ current condition:

Quarter Panel Replace:

First time welding... go easy on me

And there you have it!

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Country Flag: United States
      Are you gona go down to bare metal on the whole body and then just clear it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trans View Post
      Are you gona go down to bare metal on the whole body and then just clear it?
      Nope, not going to go to bare metal.. just down as far as it needs. Then a fresh coat of white.
      -Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

one of favorite IMPALA

love the car man im thinking about painting my 70' the same color either white or black but that's years down the road lol
      1970 Impala
      "Some muscle cars are born great. Others have to be made that way. The debate about nature-versus-nurture. As to which approach is better doesn't matter so much as the end result"

Keep the info coming. Who's quarter did you use and how was the fit?
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Thanks guys.
      I purchased the quarter locally, though it is the same quarter that all the repo houses carry. I am under the impression that they all come from the same place, then are labeled once they get here.
      As far as fit, its wasn't too bad. The lines aren't as great as original, but actual fit wasn't too bad. I did make some of the usual adjustments by trimming parts of it. Hope that helps.
      -Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Nice car man, I love Impala's and keep up the good work!
      62 Impala SS

Very cool build Nick, love it.

When are you gona throw more meat on those rims,maybe even go wider to fill in the fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Trans View Post
      When are you gona throw more meat on those rims,maybe even go wider to fill in the fenders.
      I know right. In my first post, I admitted to poorly picking the tires. I mentioned that once these wear out, I'll be choosing more wisely the second round. Also, might go with a 10" wide rim in the back, or re-do my wheel choice altogether... we'll see

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

After getting the body work and paint done, I will finish up the suspension. Besides adding sway bars and new rear upper and lower trailing arms with poly bushings, I was thinking of doing some type of tubular a arms for the front. I know a few companies make them for this car, though I don't know if they are needed/will make much of a difference. Also, I will be upgrading my shocks all the way around, and maybe going with some type of performance coil over. I haven't decided exactly what supplier to go with yet, but I am doing research. I haven't seen many examples of these 65-70 full size chevy's done like this, as they certainly aren't the choice for a PT starting point, but I would like to get handling to a more modern level.
      Also, I am pretty fond of my current wheels, though I would like to look at something a bit more modern down the road, where I can get the fitment just right, filling up these large wheelwells. Any suggestions as to what might look good on this car?

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

rocket racing has some sick wheels anything with 5 spokes i think is best on impalas
      1970 Impala
      "Some muscle cars are born great. Others have to be made that way. The debate about nature-versus-nurture. As to which approach is better doesn't matter so much as the end result"

ummm....
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Any opinion on Hotchkis sway bars? I see a few other companies selling them for these big cars, and see both hollow and solid. What is the advantage to either?
      -Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Just got my new exhaust installed. I think she sounds good.

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Sounds Gooooooooooooood

Thanks. Its no LS, but does get down the road decent with the new set of gears.

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Few shots of my interior and engine compartment...

-Nick
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Will be installing this bar this weekend. I will also be adding a rear bar soon, but contemplating going tubular rear control arms and poly bushings...

My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com