Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New from MI, Vega waiting in the wings

My name is Chris, I live near Grand Rapids, MI and I am in the planning stages of my Vega build. It is a mutt from the standpoint of years, it is a 74 car, I bought all of the stuff to convert it to the 71-73 nose, and someone along the way threw a bunch of 76 parts at it. Originally I was going to keep the factory type suspension in the car and just cram the biggest wheels and tires I could into the stock wheel wells, but as I dug into the car I found a few areas of rust that just did not make sense to fix, when the same amount of time could be spent building a chassis and fitting larger wheels and tires into the car.

Anyhow, the inspiration for this build comes from the Jegs Vega. http://woodyshotrodz.com/jegsvega/ I really dug on the chassis of this little car, and the fact they kept the wheel openings stock.

While researching different builds I stumbled across "Project Scud" on a Mopar Forum, that somehow lead me here to this forum... This little car will never compete for status of a Camaro or Mustang, but to me it embodies all that is cool in a little car.

Here is the current state of the car. This is where I stalled out a month or so ago once I discovered I needed to go deeper into the sub frame. A project thread should start fairly soon once I start buying stuff to actually start the build.

Welcome!
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Welcome! If you came here by way of my thread on another board, you may also know I'm from Grand Rapids as well and spend my time there when not in Switzerland. My dad is up on M57 in fact, probably not far from you. Looking forward to seeing more of the Vega. What are your plans for suspension now? We should connect when I'm back later this year.

Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Thanks guys.

Will, I would like to meet up and I like where you are going with your car, should be killer when completed! PM me when the time gets closer, I would like to meet you and check out your Dart in person. Hopefully by then I will have started to get out of planning phase and into some of the construction!

Suspension, nothing too exotic and I want to keep it simple. I have been looking at doing either 3 link rear with either a panhard bar or watts link or a triangulated four link, and a variant of a Mustang II front suspension which may not be considered much of a corner carver, but I think in this car it may work well. There is so much to take into consideration, I have been reading all I can daily before I spend any money.

I will definitely PM when I get closer. Sounds like you are going about it correctly, doing all the research you can before buying anything. One option you may want to consider, if you have the room, Scott Mock (coolwelder62 on the forum) builds and sells a weld-in subframe utilizing C6 suspension. I've priced it out for another project and it is pretty reasonable and if you have the room (60.5" hub face-to-hub face), it may be a better option than the M2 variants out there, and obviously proven and likely a good complement to a 3-link, watts, or tri-4. More to think about...
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

There is the rub and why I was considering trying to make the MII work... the track width has to be pretty narrow and i need to package the engine down in there too. It currently has 54.5 from hub to hub and the car is only 66" wide overall! This is why I am a bit perplexed.

I am not married to the idea. I will always take advice!

Welcome to the board Chris from ANOTHER MIchigander! I am just west of Flint, not that far from GR.
      Nice project. Love the Vega's, always have. Back in the day a friends dad had a vega he drag raced and the sound of that car was incredible! Left an impression so to speak. I like the dare to be different build idea also.
      If you are going to buy your suspension look at Alston's Chassis Works. They can build a custom width front suspension and they have some nice work sheets on their site to help you out. It will at least let you establish some parameters. They also take into account bumpsteer and ackerman and anti-dive so they are doing a lot of the work for you.
      Don't get discouraged but also don't cut the car up if you don't have too.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thanks Mark. I like Astro's yours is definitely different from the rest. I checked your thread out the other day at lunch time, looking good. I painted one for my father in law a couple years ago, unfortunately I can not seem to find a completed pic, but here is what I have. Can't believe I do not have a in the booth, or just rolled outside shot at least... I have what seems like thousands of pictures of every other project I have done. I only have one from after the guy came to do the artwork....

Hey alright another H-body. I am beginning a Astre myself but just getting it torn down now, looking forward to seeing which way you go with the front suspension.

I have been doing some research as well and the chassiswork g front subframe setup looks nice but pricey at $3500 or so.

Welcome to Pro touring

welcome to the board. I'm from the grand rapids area too. graduated from cedar springs. There is tons of info on here that will help you with your build. I always liked the look of those vegas.
      Chad Read

Nothing wrong with vegas I have on on my wish list along withabout 10 others one day.................

Nice platform to use and the project car you use to inspire you is very nice as well. I'm a newbie and run with 3Balls at Grattan and other MW tracks. Gonna be interested and planning my own pro-touring low budget build in the near future. Will be following your build.

New from MI, Vega waiting in the wings

Thanks Chad, I live outside of town and in KC school district, but my kids have friends from Cedartuckey, lol.

Mikey, a H Body has been on my list for 20 years, I have already had a Pinto and Gremlin so why not complete the 70's econo box trifecta!

Got2boost, I have been out to Grattan many times, but mostly for bike events with a buddy who used to race there and elsewhere. Cool place for sure. Have not been out there in roughly 18 years though!

After watching all of the project threads for a while, my little car may not fit in for what I want out of it....

What do you want out of it? And I love Grattan.

Welcome...GR native here

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Made any decision on a front subframe?

I was planning to go Mustang 2 style as well for my Astre project, but really wanted to go with a spindle that would
      accept C6 type bearing assy to install vette brakes rotors etc.

I wonder if any of those subframes like DSE, Speedtech, Jakes Rodshop etc, that are running that spindle, can be made for a narrower track width, like 50 inches
      is what I am looking for track width.

Super, I joined five minutes ago and the first thread i open is another Vega, that is a good sign.
      That looks like a great project. I have been playing with a bone stock 73 Vega for three years- grinning like a kid on a go-cart. I just took it apart last month to get busy. I have wielded up a 2WD S10 blazer 8.6 rear with the original 6.5 brackets to bolt in. I am doing the S10 ball joint and spindle upgrade you may have heard of. Researching brakes now which brought me here.
      Keep the updates coming.

any update on this project.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com