Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada
      Once the frame was welded and reinforced the way I wanted it then I put the tub in and secured it with some vice grips.

Name:  2013-09-10 19.12.01-1.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  2013-09-10 19.12.55.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  2013-09-10 19.13.13-1.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  59.1 KB

And now for the money shot and why all this work is worth the effort. I've now got 15 1/2" of inner wheel space for some HUGE rims and tires
      Name:  2013-09-10 19.13.41.jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  32.7 KB

Todd
      '14 ZL1, 6 speed and 6.2L of Super Charged Awesome!
      '67 Camaro SS in process. A long, slow, expensive trip...

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ject-Obsession

Todd I just read your thread from start to finish...great work so far.I'm relatively new to the forum as well as my 69 Camaro I just picked up in April.This build of yours is an inspiration to a newbie like me but I'm getting there.The suspension and brakes on my car are getting done this winter with lowering springs front and back as well as new rear end.Now that appears to be the hard part finding a decent rear end to start building.My 8.2 is living on borrowed time!...cheers from Pitt Meadows

Dave

Well it's been a while since I've done any updates but the facts are I really haven't gotten to far. While getting the ZL1 was a great idea to start developing more driving experience, and it's been a blast, it's also taken some time away from building my '67. Well enough of the excuses.

So what I've managed to finish is fabricating the frame plates for the drivers side and cutting the floor pan and making room for the Mini-tub. Tonight I tack welded the new plates in place and did a final fit of the mini-tub housing and it looks like this;

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  151.4 KB

Views: 1816
Size:  124.9 KB

Views: 1795
Size:  116.4 KB

So the next step will be to finish welding in the plates and grind and clean up. After this is done then I'll start on installing the TCI rear suspension. I've got some holiday time coming up with plans to spend a week in the garage getting back in touch with my sweet little SS and hopefully a step closer to getting it on it's own wheels.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Just realized I never posted the pictures of the assembled front end and engine with trans bolted on. What an adventure learning to clock the bell housing to the centre of the transmission. I had to go buy a magnetic base set up to find the centre and then install adjustable dowels to get the trans in just the right spot.

There are some great YouTube videos on how to do this so I highly recommend them as the directions were very confusing. At least to me.

Here is the assembly to find centre

Views: 1728
Size:  232.6 KB

Getting that reading just where I wanted it

Views: 1699
Size:  163.4 KB

TKO600 installed and torqued down and hopefully never to be removed again.

Views: 1735
Size:  243.6 KB

Engine and trans installed with everything powder coated and painted and ready to rock & roll

Views: 1734
Size:  264.5 KB
      Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 12-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Todd was your car featured at the Riders section of an episode of Gearz?

I think I just saw it on Youtube...
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Country Flag: United States
      Looking good so far. Love what you've done with the firewall. I am still trying to work out a way to hide my wiper motor and such so I can clean mine up for my Chevelle.

Todd, anything new on the build?
      Gordon in Calgary

Hey All,

Been gone a while and have been neglecting my build page so I will give a quick whats up and and try and get some pics. Two major things with the first being my purchase of my ZL1 and going out and getting involved in the local race scene. What a blast with AutoX and drivers training and track days I have learned a lot, but mostly that I was an above average drag racer but I have a lot to learn on road racing and car handling and dynamics. That has eaten up a bumch of time. Second , as I have mentioned I've been working through heath issues for over two years which leave me frankly without the energy to do much car fabing and work. My rheumatism had gotten really bad and two years of Chemo to try and control it finally reached a peak where I was just done with the fight and continued exaustion so I forced the hand of my new rheumatologist and they upped me to new stronger meds and dropped half the ones I was taking. Within 6'weeks it felt like a fog lifted and a lot of the pain went away so I'm finally feeling like working on the car. Please take a side piece of advise, if you don't believe what your doctors are telling you and your gut says he/she is not right go see someone else. YOU ARE YOUR BEST ADVOCATE.
      So here goes onto the car;

It doesn't look any different but the the mini- tubs are in and I've layed out all the rear TCI suspension beside the car on the ground. I'm planning out the install and will be working on it this week and I will snap some pics along the way. One challenge I have with posting is the switch to an iPad and my pictures are too big on it so I'm having to transfer to my laptop and downsize the pics to use on here or they're giant whole page pictures. If anyone has suggestions please do say.

Thanks for all the foolow up posts, it is motivating to see people checking my build and I will be getting pics up this week and watch for some future updates on the car. My goal is to be back on my wheels by Spring.
      Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 12-30-2014 at 12:55 AM.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
      Todd was your car featured at the Riders section of an episode of Gearz?

I think I just saw it on Youtube...
      Yes that was me and the folks over on WAYWO were really, really nice people and treated me well. There was one error and they showed a picture od one of the replies on this build page as my car (blue car with LS engine) but all else was good. Even have the plate frame on my ZL saying I'm a gearhead.

Quote Originally Posted by driveit View Post
      Looking good so far. Love what you've done with the firewall. I am still trying to work out a way to hide my wiper motor and such so I can clean mine up for my Chevelle.
      There are a number of companies building hidden wiper motors so it shouldn't be to hard to fab one into your car so nobody can see it. Even upgrade to intermittent wipers. Can't recall the one I looked at but it was Rain something or other and the motor went on the inside of the firewall under the cowl.
      Quote Originally Posted by gordonr1973 View Post
      Todd, anything new on the build?
      Thansk for the note Gordon, and yes soon more updates.
      Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 AM.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Just went to this thread great build keep fighting until it pays off.

Hi Todd nice project, I just went through from the beginning. Looking good!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Looks Great man !

looks great- very similar to my stang build- cant wait to see it all done.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Looks great! nice to see another BC car. ;)
      1966 Volvo

Hey All,
      Been a while since I've tuned in, a long while actually, so thought I'd do a quick update. Firstly I've been sidelined and turned down a few offers on the car and am determined to finish it. Someday. I've picked away at what I could then made the decision to install a hoist hoping it'll make it easier to work on, and it is.

Views: 861
Size:  234.2 KB

Currently the front end is done and installed, mini-tubbing is finished, rear suspension mounts are installed along with the subframe connectors. I've trial fit the rear diff and got all my measurements for narrowing the diff ( after hours of prep and measuring it was exactly what TCI recommended, go figure).

Views: 859
Size:  176.1 KB

Should get my 12 bolt dropped off in the next couple weeks for narrowing and then it'll become a roller.

Views: 841
Size:  152.9 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

And the Wheels

And these babies are going to look AWESOME. I Re-love these wheels every time I look at them, such an beautiful set of wheels from Jason at Rushforth Wheels.

Views: 871
Size:  197.3 KB

Even better on the car...

Views: 857
Size:  175.9 KB

And one more....

Views: 855
Size:  209.8 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Keep plugging away Todd. One day at a time

Been a while since I've updated my thread and unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of movement. Health continues to hold me back so I took to just doing some small easy mods on my ZL1 with plans on doing some more racing in 2017 but I've only gotten out once. The '67 had the diff narrowed after measuring it what seemed like a 100x and I must say it turned out great.

12bolt GM diff with 3.90:1 gears, Auburn carrier, big Ford bearings and eliminated C-clips, 2.5" narrowed each side, Dutchman axles, diff was put in a jig and straightened with all the my brackets welded on. Moser cover installed and set up.

Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  206.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  274.2 KB

And this past Winter the Z got lowered 1.25", camber kits installed and all the front bushings replaced with Polyurethane and a lot more aggressive alignment. Sticks like glue in the corners and is so much more fun. And mods making 630whp definitely help.
      Name:  A1EC8450-87AD-4486-8B94-063574BDBA0A.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  192.4 KB

More updates soon as I hope to get the diff installed soon and tires and wheels mounted making the 67 a roller again.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Glad your still at it and waiting to see more!

Awesome thread! Just got caught up. Looking forward to seeing this thing on the road. Nice choice on the chassis!

I'm intrigued by the mention of the hidden wiper motor. Some of my next mods include engine bay sprucing up--my D&E score at optima needs it. I didn't see the pic. Maybe i missed it?
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com