Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Great numbers on the engine. The HP Holley set up will be very nice. I hope to get one next year. Your at the point where the build starts to get fun. I remember being there, even though I'm not much past it. Brings up memories. LOL

Country Flag: Canada
      Wow I had no idea how much work it was going to be to clean the undercoat off the bottom of my '67. I'm using these to chip off the undercoat and a heat gun when needed to get the hard spots clean. It's actually chipping off easy but it as a big chunk of area to cover with these.
      Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2500
Size:  58.5 KB

I've also found some damage under the undercoat in my floor as it looks like the car may have at one time drove over something and damaged the bottom.

Name:  image 1(5).jpeg
Views: 2450
Size:  128.0 KB
      Name:  image 1(9).jpeg
Views: 2456
Size:  127.2 KB

Overall the floor is not bad but the driver side is not looking great. I'll have to decide if Im going to put some time into fixing them or just cut them out and replace the drivers side.
      Name:  image 1(7).jpeg
Views: 2444
Size:  148.1 KB

Here are some new parts for the mini-tub that I picked up from a local supplier who has a good amount of goodies in stock and giving me some decent pricing.
      Name:  image (3).jpeg
Views: 2432
Size:  104.7 KB

Hoping tomorrow to get the car flipped around and I'll be starting the other half of the bottom. Living the dream my friends, living the dream
      Todd
      '14 ZL1, 6 speed and 6.2L of Super Charged Awesome!
      '67 Camaro SS in process. A long, slow, expensive trip...

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ject-Obsession

I 100% agree with your statement bellow. Its an addiction just like drugs. Nice to see another Canadian build. Keep up the good work.

The definition is "the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc." and since starting to use this site and think about what I am going to do with this build it is on my mind 24/7 and keeps me awake at night thinking how I can proceed and what I should do next.
      Documented 302 Z-28 car updated restoration underway.

Country Flag: United States
      Wow nice. I love the firewall. I want to send my camaro to you know lol!! But good luck with the rest and great numbers on the engine. should be fun to drive todd
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

Undercoat gone and getting ready for Sandblasting

FINALLY I'm done scraping off undercoat. I've found a guy to do the sandblasting for me but he is twice the money I've been quoted and is booked weeks in advance. The Camaro will be going to him in April with big factor being when I finally got him on the phone (he was always in the shop when I called) he took the time to answer my questions and he even had the right answers. I did my homework and did some reading on here before I started calling people and even went to a couple shops to see their operations. Sadly most of the guys I talked to were clearly not very knowledgable on sandblasting older cars and their bad/messy/filthy looking shops just eliminated them from my list. I only have one '67 Camaro and I'm not about to let just anyone blast away at it.

On to the updates;

Ive stripped all the glass and interior out of the car, when I got down to the bones I found the dash was rusted and had been covered up so I wanted to replace it. My local jobber has a guy who is into and knowledgable on old cars. He has given me some great advice and showed me that I have some options when it comes to getting some replacement parts. Not to start a battle with anyone, but from what I see there are some options when it comes to buying replacement panels. My guy, Thanks Rick, showed me that C2C gives you the option on USA made or off shore. I've picked up some US made stuff and the metal is thick and it fits very well, I'm a happy camper and its well worth the extra couple bucks to me.

http://c2cfabrication.com/gm/chevrolet/camaro/

Thought I would share a little on how I took the dash out of the car. Please feel free to send me any suggestions you have as I will be taking on my quarter panels and some floor work in the future. Hope this helps someone with taking on their own project as it really isn't hard stuff if you just take your time.

Here is the damaged dash that has been patched and bondo over the rust by a earlier owner

Name:  image 2(13).jpeg
Views: 2280
Size:  56.3 KB

First I found the "dimples" along the dash where it was spot welded at the factory
      Name:  111image.jpeg
Views: 2313
Size:  26.9 KB

Then I used a small sharp drill bit to put a small pilot hole in the centre* (*that's how we spell center in Canada)

Name:  114image.jpeg
Views: 2326
Size:  27.0 KB

Then I used a stepped drill bit to drill through the pilot hole while using a screw driver to apply light pressure up on the metal until you feel the metal pop loose

Name:  113image.jpeg
Views: 2318
Size:  27.4 KB

Here is a short video I shot so please excuse the shaking and the out of range shots. What I was trying to show was how the multi stepped drill bits work for drilling out spot welds. When I use this bit it goes in the small pilot hole I've already drilled and I ususlly use my other hand to hold the screw driver to lightly pry up on the weld so when the stepped bit makes a big enough hole the metal pops up. Really nice and simple and makes just enough of a hole to take out the spot weld.

http://youtu.be/5INrhOp0K-k

I got sorta lucky with the rust doing most of the work along the front of the dash so I just used some tin snips to remove the little bit of metal along the front of the dash.
      Name:  112image.jpeg
Views: 2322
Size:  42.0 KB
      The upper cowl metal was in relatively good shape so will just do a light grind along the upper cowl and a little metal repair and I should be good to go and install my new dash upper.
      Name:  i110mage.jpeg
Views: 2298
Size:  42.8 KB
      Here is the old upper dash out of the car and it was super easy to do. I will post some more updates when I install the new upper dash.

Name:  117image.jpeg
Views: 2281
Size:  42.4 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Also, a great picture comparing the pilot holes and using the stepped drill bit to drill through the spot welds.

Sorry for the flipped on its side image but seems to be an iPad only issue for me
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  121.1 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Not a lot to report as I continue to get the car down to just the sheet metal and planning out my next steps. Hopefuly the shell will be going for sand blasting in the next couple weekends. The good news is the guys over at TCI have sent me some more goodies.

These headers are killer and I'm really happy with all my TCI products;

Name:  20130413_142726.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  157.5 KBName:  20130413_142812.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  148.9 KBName:  20130413_142836.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  117.6 KBName:  20130413_142851.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  168.7 KB

And, check out this rear suspension set-up;

Name:  20130413_163241.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  187.3 KBName:  20130413_163248.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  162.1 KB

That's it for now and hoping to post some more pics soon with some welding done.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Engine looks good... but why did u go with the Stealth Ram MPI fuel injection system over a carb??
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

Quote Originally Posted by rfalker1 View Post
      Engine looks good... but why did u go with the Stealth Ram MPI fuel injection system over a carb??
      I've run carbs on every car I've built and even had two on a polished tunnel ram on my last Camaro. I'm wanting to use this car all the time so FI just makes sense. Its more user friendly with weather changes and on cool damp days which we see lots of here. The tune ability is much better and I can program it to work in the parameters I feel necessary. Not to Mention the better mileage and smooth idle and it allows me to do something different then I've done before.

Did I mention it looks Bad Ass?
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

^^^ yes I understand that. I might go efi or something in a year or two or 3!! Hopefully the price will drop and I can get a system that improves my power and still works with my vortex heads. I have seen a couple of crazy setups! But yours looks good! Keep up the work todd!!
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo

Randal F

It's been a while since I've done some updates so I will try and get caught up although doing these updates from my iPad has become a bit more of a challenge than using my PC. The pictures are not as easily formatted and may appear a bit more wonky than before but I will do my best.

So to start I tore out the dash because it was a giant mess that someone had covered in bondo before. They must have thought that because it was under the windshield that it doesn't matter. Well, I'm very picky so it does matter so I took it all back to good metal and started again.

Views: 1993
Size:  115.5 KB

And after it was removed

Views: 1981
Size:  126.5 KB

The new metal goes in and is looking better already

Views: 1974
Size:  108.7 KB
Views: 2013
Size:  98.6 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Awesome build! I am in the process of putting a TCI subframe in my 68 Nova. I'm curious to know what you are planning to use for your steering column. I have found out the hard way that the stock length will not work with the TCI subframe. This is not highlighted in the TCI instructions and i'm curruntly waiting on a response from Sal at TCI on this. I ended up having to take 3" off the 32" column i originally started with. I can get into more detail on this if your interested.

Thanks for the information and the compliment. I just picked up an Ididit column to go with the TCI frame. I'm behind on my updates and I need to go through the whole thing and reduce the size of the pictures as I've hit my limit. Unfortunately I'm also battling some health issues and its really slowed me down as I was planning on having the car back on its wheels by now.

The good news is I'm not in a rush for the car so it will get done but just a bit later than I'd hoped. I willmtry and get some pictures up this weekend as I have in-laws coming to visit so that's my time to escape to my garage and get some work done. I've got the whole front end done, engine and trans assembled and mounted in the frame and I'm half done one side of my mini-tub so it's getting done, just slowly. I will also get some pics of the column and part numbers, it was what TCI recommended so I'm not expecting any issues.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

rotiserie

Quote Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
      FINALLY! the car is flipped on the rotisserie and I've started working on the bottom of the car. It's another step in the progress of the car because now that I'm working on the bottom I will be starting to get the car ready for the rear suspension and mini tub install which means I'm actually starting on the assembly of the car. Everything up to this point has been about taking the car apart, planning and prepping.

From this point forward my work will be about fitting and assembling the car. It's really great to have reached this point and it feels like getting a jolt of motivation. Here are a couple pictures of the car flipped on its side;

Attachment 71494

Attachment 71495
      whos rotiserie is that /what company make s it please

what length column did you get?

Javelin66
      The rotisserie is a Auto Twerler Plus and I got it from here;

http://www.kmscarparts.com/index.php...roducts_id=883

I picked mine up for $1,100 but I've seen them as low as $999. I'm really happy with mine and I can't imagine doing an in depth project without one. But as I've stated I'm getting older and not as healthy as I use to be so I've got to find some ways to make this easier on myself.

Novapilot
      I will have to look at the paperwork in my office on Friday. I went with the one TCI has listed on their website for the TCI clip but got it from Summit as TCI was out of stock. Also, I ordered my headers from TCI as well and go figure they fit perfect. PM me if you still want the actual part number and I will answer the PM when I'm catching up on paperwork Friday. Also, will try and spend some time catching up on this thread and loading pictures/resizing them. I'm halfway through the mini-tub project.
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Todd,

Your build looks good. I have a question about installing the tci front sub. I thought you had to grind/cut the two tabs that are sticking out of the body where the pads get bolted too. In the pics you posted, I see that you still have them in the stock location. Do you need to cut grind those tabs flat? I hope that makes sense...

Hi Todd, great looking build! From another car crazed local. We too are building a 67!!

It's been a while since I've done some updates so here we go on what I've been working on.

With the old dash metal removed I installed the new metal,
      Name:  2014-03-24 16.59.03.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  62.9 KB

But the new dash didn't come with tabs to weld to the A-pillars. So, I made some and welded them in because I do not want any squeaks or vibration noises,
      Name:  tabs.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  50.1 KB
      Name:  2013-10-30 21.50.17-1.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  36.6 KB

After the dash I started on the Mini-Tubbing. On the first side I used a cutting wheel and a grinder on the first side but after getting it done I went and purchased a plasma cutter for the second side and it went so much faster. I asked a few people and even here on Pro-Tour and there were mixed opinions on what was better. In my opinion the plasma cutter does a nice clean job quickly and frankly at this point in my life I'll spend a few bucks on new tolls if it makes my life and the job easier.

here you can see where I had marked out the pattern for cutting.
      Name:  2013-07-24 17.10.18.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  81.0 KB
      Name:  2013-07-24 17.09.52.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  2014-03-24 17.14.30.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  74.8 KB
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

With the installing of the mini-tubs on my '67 I needed to narrow the frame. The kit I used came with filler pieces but I ended up building a few parts myself so I could make it reinforce the way I wanted. Again with the plasma cutter I was able to pick up some plate steel and fabricate what I wanted.

Here is the filler kit that came with the mini-tub kit;
      Name:  2013-07-22 20.33.33.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  66.3 KB

Here I marked out the part I wanted to cut out;
      Name:  2013-07-24 17.10.05.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  72.6 KB

then the cutting starts;
      Name:  2013-07-22 20.33.03.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  2013-07-24 17.25.49.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  79.2 KB

Here are the filler pieces;
      Name:  2013-07-24 17.51.31.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  75.2 KB

Here is the long filler piece and it required a little curve at the end to close in the frame. Amazing what a good hammer and an old drive shaft can do to make the exact curve I needed.
      Name:  2013-07-24 17.26.16.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  2013-09-25 15.32.45.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  33.7 KB

then the part that I cut out with the plasma cutter and welding the frame up and cleaning the welds.
      Name:  2013-09-25 15.33.22.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  31.6 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Todd

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com