Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Just WOW! Love the wheels, perfect choice for a classic Ford!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

what is the width of your rear axle housing? and i may have missed it, but also the width and backspacing of your rear wheels? thanks
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Hemihunter

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      what is the width of your rear axle housing? and i may have missed it, but also the width and backspacing of your rear wheels? thanks
      I believe they are 19x13 wheels with a 4-1/2" backspace

Quote Originally Posted by All4rocks View Post
      I believe they are 19x13 wheels with a 4-1/2" backspace
      Thanks!
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Hemihunter

Finally got the motor all together and oil primed. Front pulley system got installed. Need some wiring and fuel lines to connect to fire it up. (Cant wait) Installed it last week and should have trans and all exhaust in next week. Waiting for the valve covers and air cleaner at the powdercoaters.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Lookin' good under the hood! I bet you can just about taste the startup! Don't rush it, and don't forget the fluids!

Survey..... How do you guys feel about my old school carbureted 427 side oiler engine vs say a new coyote or Voodoo engine? I personally like the exhaust sound of a older big block and the ground shaking noise when you open up the headers. The new engines just do not have that sound. But the modern engine with EFI and their reliability and drive ability......HMMMM tough choice. Which do you prefer?

When I build my Lark, I'm going with a fuel-injected 4.3 GM V-6. The dependability and reliability is the thing for me.

I know it's not going to stir any hearts on this forum, but the car was originally a flathead six, and I like the analogy.

Besides, I'm going for something that stands out from the crowd!

I think in building a car like this, you represent it as the idealized form of what it could have been. It's still a 1967 Mustang but finished to a level at in 1967 was maybe reserved, for IDK, concert grand pianos or whatever...lol... if it was even possible with the tech of the time.
      Somehow to me, the engine being of era is just...the...only...way. A suspension control arm is just a hinge between parts- can be remade with nicer construction, "improved" length, but you can't change a car's heart/face and it be the same car.

But then some guys as soon as winning the lottery would divorce a wife of 20 years. I'm trying not not make this an insult,honestly, but the new gal- the way I look at her and him, is how I see these drivetrain updates.

I have no problem with fe's. I grew up with them since the 1st in 1958. However, I would have efi for many reasons. Efi keeps the engine happy and it runs 4 times as long as carbed versions. Being able to control timing to avoid problems with detonation caused by elevation changes and poor quality fuel is a major concern, also. In 1976, I ran a SOHC 427 in a gas dragster. If I had one today, efi would be my 1st mod. Your project is looking good.

I agree with the vintage engines having a better sound and personality. I have a 67 fastback project in the shop right now for a customer that is getting an all aluminum 527 FE with Holley Terminator dual quad EFI with a TKO 600. It has a little modern in it but still giving that vintage feel.

Name:  IMG_5147.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  188.5 KB

Very nice ride by the way!

Greg

Country Flag: Canada
      I plan on putting in a coyote in my 68 fastback. You can’t beat the reliability. I had a carb’d 350 in my c1500 and ended up going LS. The old school is great for the power and sound but I personally enjoy the turn key aspect of modern engines

I’ve Been following your build for quite some time and it’s by far the nicest fastback I’ve seen. I have definitely been using your build for references and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by All4rocks View Post
      Survey..... How do you guys feel about my old school carbureted 427 side oiler engine vs say a new coyote or Voodoo engine? I personally like the exhaust sound of a older big block and the ground shaking noise when you open up the headers. The new engines just do not have that sound. But the modern engine with EFI and their reliability and drive ability......HMMMM tough choice. Which do you prefer?
      Old school engine with EFI, and probably aftermarket heads. EFI is just better. Power is made in the cylinder head.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Old block with new internals, newer aluminum heads, and EFI all the way. Plus, a side-oiler is nothing to turn your back on. Coyote's are a dime a dozen. This thing is not.

I want to see you and Pat (Modern Bullitt @keepat) bring your black beauties to the dragstrip! That would be a pro-touring.com event I would pay to see!
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Thanks for the compliments! keeps me enthused. (if thats a word) You guys really surprised me. I thought that most of you would want modern engines. But i agree with the general consensus about old school block with EFI. I had these custom Quick fuel carbs built about 6 years or so ago when nobody made a dual quad EFI setup. So for now im going to run them. If i have any troubles with them it will be Sniper time.

Hemihunter

Made a small purchase at the Stereo store today. Ill be building the 2 sub boxes this next week and will be mounting the 2 JL Audio 10"s where the rear seat used to be. They will be hidden under a flat platform there that will go all the way to the trap door.

Hemihunter

Valve covers and air cleaner finally showed up. Now if i can just get the steering wheel to do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Wes id like to see your fastback.

Awesome Build, was looking but can't find what rear suspension did you use, ride tech? any pics or info on moving the lower arm to the inside of the frame.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 65-347 View Post
      Awesome Build, was looking but can't find what rear suspension did you use, ride tech? any pics or info on moving the lower arm to the inside of the frame.
      Thanks
      Rear suspension is ridetech. I cut the frame rails at their peak height over the center of the rear axle at the point right where they start to angle outwards and removed the rear section. Then i slid a 1.5"x 3.5" square tube inside the frame rail and welded it so that both rails are parallel with the car. (non angled outwards) This should give you 2.5" if i remember correctly. You will have to narrow the cradle down on each side to make it fit between the new frame rails. leaf spring perches will have to be cut off and weld in new ones closer in to match the lower bar location which is now bolted to the inside of the factory spring mount bracket. You will also have to add a piece of steel and gusset to modify the new bracket for the lower bars.

Hope this helps!

Hemihunter

You can see in the picture where i cut and then added the new frame rails.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com