Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Large Turbo for upper rpm ponies, Nitrous to fight low rpm lag?

Hi Guys, I've got a line on a single turbo for a great price. However its a t-76. the car that its been on also has a 306. The reason that I'm thinking about it is is obviously cost. I wanted smaller twins, but it will still be quite a while until I can make them a reality, as I have other upgrades that need to happen before a pair of twins, and they cost more.

The downside here is that power really doesnt come on until about 3500 rpm with this snail. I'm seen a few Nitrous kits on the market that run in conjunction with turbos to counteract the turbo lag. I'm wondering is anyone has experience with them?

I'm going to be running a powerjection 3 setup for efi. The motor is a stock block with forged internals and afr 165 heads.

I'm looking to run the motor at about 500-550hp at the rear wheels, but it would be really nice to set up the turbo and nitrous kit to support bigger power should I ever decide to add a dart block that can handle additional power without splitting down the valley.

Right now, the motor is putting down 382 hp on a stand. I'm thinking about maybe running a 50-100 shot for the lower rpms with a controller that is boost sensitive.

What do you guys think? A waster of time? just wait and save for the twins? just run a single 60mm turbo for my power goals?

All in all I want more than the motor puts out N/A, but I don't want to step up to larger displacement, as I'm trying to keep the car lighter. It's already a heavy beast.

Thanks!
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Stock block restrictions. Split lifter valley is calling your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
      Stock block restrictions. Split lifter valley is calling your name.
      yeah I know. a boss or dart block is just not in the budget right now. Further down the line, a replacement long block will be the route I'll go, but for right now, I need to get a year out of what I've got.
      -Dave

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

You should build the motor the way you want it no compromises even if it costs more. What is the difference in cost? After the nitrous? I run a rear mount T-67 on my '05 GTO and have a bit of lag. I considered installing nitrous to compensate and would be a killer ride but in the end I will be ditching it for a twin front mount - nothing will work better.

My 2c.

the difference in cost will probably amount to about $2500 when all is said and done. that's sizable enough for me to be considering this.
      -Dave

Country Flag: Canada
      Isn't about 550hp pushing it on a 302 block? If you really want to I'd swap those heads on to a stock 351 block for now and boost it to the moon. That way you can save for the dart block and not have to worry about losing the bottom end before you get it. Splitting a block seems like a bad way to lose some decent internals. One thing to keep in mind though, I think the Dart block weighs a fair bit compared to the stock 302 block. If you're looking to maintain weight, maybe keep saving until you can throw in the aluminum version?

Quote Originally Posted by ace_xp2 View Post
      Isn't about 550hp pushing it on a 302 block? If you really want to I'd swap those heads on to a stock 351 block for now and boost it to the moon. That way you can save for the dart block and not have to worry about losing the bottom end before you get it. Splitting a block seems like a bad way to lose some decent internals. One thing to keep in mind though, I think the Dart block weighs a fair bit compared to the stock 302 block. If you're looking to maintain weight, maybe keep saving until you can throw in the aluminum version?
      a 351 isnt in the cards. I'd have to re-buy far too many bits due to the change in deck height. AFR 165s are way too small for a 351. 550 is pushing it on a stock block, but i've got a girdle tons of extra oiling capacity. I'd be running a lowish-7-8 psi for the time being so that I stayed away from possible destruction 90% of the time. Of course It'd get turned up sporadically for fun times. I do think that a 351 would end up sitting a little bit taller in the engine compartment, which I do not have the room for ( I've got 1/2" of clearance).

The goal here is to buy once. So if I end up buying parts that seem overkill for a stock block if used to their full potential, that's okay. They'll just be broken in when i'm able to take care of the supporting parts!

I'm trying to keep weight down, but a boss or dart block 302 is still a few hundred lbs lighter than a big block FE motor.

In all honesty, if i were going to swap another motor in right now, ( which I'm not able to, as I'm in a bit of a time crunch. ) I'd be shopping for a coyote.
      -Dave

Country Flag: Canada
      Hey that's cool, I was just thinking that trashing a random 351 shortblock would hurt a lot less than losing all those nice parts to a split valley. If you do boost it though, just keep in mind that even at that psi, you'd be putting out possibly over 550 (382*1.5=573) but if you don't beat on it a lot, it'll probably hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by ace_xp2 View Post
      Hey that's cool, I was just thinking that trashing a random 351 shortblock would hurt a lot less than losing all those nice parts to a split valley. If you do boost it though, just keep in mind that even at that psi, you'd be putting out possibly over 550 (382*1.5=573) but if you don't beat on it a lot, it'll probably hold on.
      yeah, i won't complain! the motor might though! In hind sight, i should have probably gone 351 when I had the chance, but the deal that I got on my current motor was too good to pass up. Who knows, this motor may end up in the next project and the galaxie might get something a bit more robust. I've just never been an FE motor fan, so it won't ever get one of those.

The deal on the big turbo de-materialized yesterday, So I'm back to running small twins or a single t-70, 81 a/r , .82 trim. oh well. it seemed like a neat idea.

-Dave

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com