Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Humbled and Honored

What a weekend! This was really the first pro-touring event Angela and I had attended and had no idea what to expect but figured what could go wrong. Great people and cars, you get to drive hard, and outdoor movies at the hotel with your favorite beverage. Sounds like my kind of deal.

We dove in head first and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We drove witihin our limits Saturday, it was the first "big" track we had ever seen. I parked my pile after the first session and with permission swapped my transponder to our Mustang so I could get some real time on the road course.....good move. Driving a late model with a roof isn't nearly as nerve racking. We both ran pretty quick considering our (lack of) abilities for that sort of driving. Big thanks to Randy Bell for getting a ride with Angela Saturday, it boosted her confidence immensely and she is really looking forward to doing as many pdx/hpde events as we can get in before the snow flies. Our SCCA autocross experience payed off on Sunday, however, and we both turned in respectable times in cars that probably shouldn't have. I was glad to be back in the roadster Sunday.

I was airing up tires (to drive the car home) at the DSE truck after autocross when Kyle said to take the 66 Mustang for a ride. I didn't have to think on that one for very long. We are just starting a 66 coupe project and after riding with Ryan around Gingerman and a short test drive on regular roads our Mustang will absolutely be DSE equipped! When we returned everyone that was left was standing by the tent listening to results and awards. Those that know me know that I am NOT a trophy guy....you can't eat 'em. I have always felt, and preach it to my customers as well, that you are driving the trophy and the good times and memories are the greatest awards you could ever get.

I wasn't really paying attention and was more concerned with thanking Kyle for the test drive than listening to Bill Howell and was surprised to hear Bill say "Danny and Angela Freese". That's not the first time someone carved my name up, (say fry-z) I am quite used to it so I knew it was us. What I didn't know was why we were being called up......honestly had no idea.

I never met Todd Gartshore and only knew of him as the guy from Baer. When we got back into the crowd everyone was shaking our hands and congratulating us and I still really didn't grasp it. Tim McGilton said "to me that's the big one", I paused, still unsure. I searched this forum this morning.....it's sinking in. Todd was obviously good people and a force in this industry. I don't know what we did special to have our name tied to his but we are truly humbled and honored to have recieved the Todd Gartshore Memorial Spirit of the Event Award. I consider it a loss that I never met the man, but hope that he would be proud for me to get an award in his name.

We need a better word than thanks to show our appreciation to EVERYONE involved in putting this event together. We had more fun than people should be allowed to have in a weekend and met even more great people than those we already call friends. I look forward to attending more events like this and will NOT miss a Motorstate Challenge in the future.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

It was great to see you and Angela this weekend and I was happy to see you guys get that award. You deserve it! This is an event that is always on our calender and agree with you that it is not one to be missed! With friends, fast cars and challenging courses to drive on what else is there?

Debbie

Lovin' the Long Roof

your first PT event Donny!! now youre hooked and I will see you at many more now, welcome to the addiction

Donny, We are happy to hear you had a good time and will be back.

The Gartshore Spirit of the Event award is meant for someone who is out there having fun and really gets what this is all about which is the people and experiences both on and off the track. When we were going through who should get it, you and Angela were the first names out of my mouth as it is really great to see when a family gets into the deal. Your friendly attitudes and the smiles on your faces rank you with some really good company like the Farringtons, Kyle and Stacy Tucker and Chris and Linda Jacobs. Keep on coming out to play and keep driving hard.
      Brian Finch
      Pro-touring Hero

The Proof is on the Pavement

Sponsored by Baer Brakes, JRI Shocks, Pennzoil, Tremec, Magnaflow, Centerforce, AFCO Racing, Kurt Urban Performance, Amercian Powertrain, Forgeline, Holley, and of course BFG.

For the best engine money can buy please visit http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/

Authorized dealer for Baer, Ridetech, Detroit Speed, Vintage Air, Motorstate Distributing, Wilwood Engineering, American Autowire, Forgeline, Holley, Afco,

Contact brian@finchperformance for special Pro-Touring.com member pricing

www.hotrodtransformations.com

Donny

You and Angela are definitely deserving of this award. You are always willing to help others and have fun everywhere you go. Lynda and I are blessed to have such great friends and to be able to share our passion with outstanding individuals like yourselves.

Congratulations to you both
      Chris Jacobs

Congrats Donny and great to see you guys out there!! Looking forward to seeing you at more for sure.

Mike Norris
      Mike Norris

Donny and Angela,
      What a great honor! I have really enjoyed you guys at the events we have attended.....and of course all of us camping out at the Farrington ranch! You BOTH could have earned this award on your own, but what makes so great is that you both get to share that spot light, the same way that you share your love for going out and having a blast on the track. Folks like you make it fun for all of us, always willing to help anyone.... and of course the crazy humor. CONGRATS!!

P.S
      Angela, Can I get the toilet handle back? I need it for my passenger door Ha ha.

R/
      Jeff and Diana
      70 Nova "Thug"
      67 LS7 Corvette Sold :-(
      65 LS7 Corvette Coupe (next project)
      64 Malibu SS
      69 Z/28 Camaro
      2007 Z06

^5 Donny and Angela,,, Finch summed up things spot on....

It was great hanging out and laughing over the weekend and Todd would be definitely very pleased in the name association as your combined joyous attitudes are exactly in the Spirit of his name sake award....
      Again congrats guys...
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Humbled and Honored

That was a great car and you deserve that award. It was fun to watch you going around the autocross.

Todd had a very keen sense of humor and LOVED to have fun. He also supported this sport tirelessly and enthusiastically for business, but mostly for pleasure. Yeah...I think you and Angela epiomize that. Congratulations...well deserved!
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com