Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      How good is the august show? As I remember it, it was all cars 60 and below. I had heard it was either last year, or the year before they started to allow muscle car stuff in there.

1967 Cougar XR7, DSE, Sbf, TKO600. PM me about wheel tool rental

Country Flag: United States
      I only had a problem with not knowing where the registration building is and how long it took to get through the cars. It as my first time ever doing autocross in my El Camino so I'm not complaining. I had lots of fun. It just sucks that i left early on saturday so i couldn't get more practice in. I'm definitely doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DartorDemon View Post
      It was 8 bucks today to park.
      It was $16 for me, and I had to argue to not have to pay it twice. I had issues with my battery being dead (among other things) and optima was absent (because of their other show where they are the marque vendor im sure), and no one in the entire place had a battery for sale. So I had to go get my truck, that was at least 1.2 miles away from where I parked, and take off and go get a battery. I secured permission from someone working the gate to leave and come back in. When I came back the person that gave me permission to re-enter wasn't there and the other people working the gate wanted to charge me $16, again! I had to argue for a few minutes before I was even let back in. After all that I huff a heavy battery back another mile from where we had to park in BFE all the way to the autocross just in time for one of the guys working the autocross to be a complete dickhead to me. He rides up and almost hits me and yells, "you get a battery yet?" ... as I was standing there with an obviously brand new battery, then says "well that damn thing better run, cause I got a tow strap and if you don't run im gonna tow your ass outta here!". This was my second run in with this guy being a ****, and I was stupid enough to not pay attention to what I packed so I was wearing a shirt from work so I couldn't really be a **** like I normally would(one of my bosses is on this forum), I was extra nice to him in the morning while he was a complete **** to me and at least 5 other participants.

The online reg wouldn't work, so it was $60 to enter the show. They wouldn't let my dad in because I was at registration (that had a massively long line) and he didn't come in with me, so after my Dad (who was nice enough to park my truck and trailer) walked all the way from where it was parked to the gate they made him pay to enter. My dad has gout and arthritis very bad, so its not easy for him to walk.

The thing that really scared me with the autocross was that it was super slick, and I was pushing along the turn farthest from the announcer, and there was little 3-5 year old kids not but 25 feet from me with nothing but a chain link fence between us and them, and they were right up against the fence. The pits was filled with little kids too, I couldn't help but feel like I was going to run one over when trying to creep my way to the course. Hard to go fast when you're that gun shy about running over someone.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Quote Originally Posted by Danny72 View Post
      I only had a problem with not knowing where the registration building is and how long it took to get through the cars. It as my first time ever doing autocross in my El Camino so I'm not complaining. I had lots of fun. It just sucks that i left early on saturday so i couldn't get more practice in. I'm definitely doing it again.
      The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk. Now, this is the most popular thing going and the event staff sometimes has to turn people away. As for this last weekend, I felt they got the cars moving and up to the line pretty quickly and the event was run very efficiently. There have been some events (read: Columbus for the SMOTY runs) where getting through the lineup seemed like it took days ...

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons. It's up to each driver to know their abilities behind the wheel and while many think they can drive like Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, and Brian Finch, to name just a few of the Good Guys hotshoes, trying to do so in the close confinement of a Good Guys course may get not so good results. Of all the incidents I've witnessed first-hand, almost all have been due to the driver running out of talent.

And your Elky looked great out there ...

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Just be happy to know they at least put this on. Its a great way for novices to open up and try it. Just think of all the new drivers and enthusiasts that it brings out. I remember sitting next to a guy in the crowd and he said " wow, I can bring my car out there?" He grabbed his girl and ran off to the show area. To me that's another car off the show grass and out doing what it was meant to do.
      The man is here, maybe he will read the comments and changes will come sooner to make it easier and safer for cars. Barriers are there to protect the crowd, not paint jobs. Insurance costs must be astronomical.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

[QUOTE]
      Quote Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
      The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk.
      I sure do miss that.

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons.
      It sucks leaving time on the track but when you gotta drive your junk home and that's 500 miles away it aint worth it.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I thought this weekends event was a success for most. Obviously, James had a bad weekend due to many factors. The crowds were huge and they all seemed to have a good time. The stands in the shade were packed. The pits were full of spectators checking out the competition. It does get a bit crowded and hard to manuever thru to and from the track. That just shows the excitment and interest the autocross brings to the Goodguys show.

As far as the course goes, it is a bit scary to have the cement K rails so close to the course. I drive at about 8 - 9/10ths max. I always leave some time out there as it is not worth it to me to go all out and have something happen. I find it a challenge to drive as smooth as possible and get the best time possible while still under controll. Once in a while I will drift it a bit on the u turns where it is safe. I did not do that this event.

Here are a few videos of the event. Two I took on either side of the car and one I found someone took with their phone and posted on Youtube. The video I found is pretty cool from a non competitor.

http://youtu.be/yXgoXg4Nn0M

http://youtu.be/vq4i-acz6rI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw0CdGtHQoc
      Brian Hobaugh
      65 Corvette
      73 Camaro

the track was very tight this weekend, I enjoyed it, the crowds are always tough to drive thru, I always leave a little out there (8-9/10ths) thats the hardest thing push the car to win or place but stay in control, Marys right when Im running I dont see trees or k-rails, just 14 ft lanes with orange cones. Mary had one run where she scared the K-rail pushing it to get that last big run, on my last run I pushed it also knowing the time i set earlier with a cone and I scared the tree in the back of the course with my spin, we should be happy to have the vendor support and the growing fan support, it creates excitement in auto-x, and PT in general, it was a great event and it does take a lot of nerve to pilot our rigs at speeds to win everyone ran great all weekend, a few close calls, but all the rails went home undamaged

Here are the results for the 2012 Pleasanton Summer Get-Together Goodguys AutoCross....

Class Name Year Make Model Best Time Points
      PRO Mike Maier 1966 Ford Mustang 29.044 11
      PRO Mary Pozzi 1972 Chevy Camaro 29.515 10
      PRO Bret Voelkel-Ride Tech 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.408 9

SM Brian Hobaugh 1970 Chevy Camaro 29.258 PRO
      SM Aaron Ogawa 1970 Dodge Challenger 29.862
      SM Deanna Marengo 1971 Chevy Camaro 30.613
      SM Kyle Newman 1955 Chevy Belair 30.642
      SM Keith Smith 1971 Chevy Camaro 30.762
      SM Mike Gaines 2002 Chevy Corvette 30.963
      SM Mark Frazier 1970 Chevy Camaro 30.994
      SM Rodney Prouty 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.059
      SM Rob Chandler 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.124
      SM Todd Vierra 1956 Chevy Belair 31.408
      SM Martha Gregory 2002 Chevy Camaro 31.521
      SM Rob Patten 1969 Chevy Camaro 31.907
      SM Steve Kavros 2010 Chevy Camaro 31.975
      SM Rick Herger 1966 Pontiac GTO 32.265
      SM Ben Elwess 1971 Chevy Nova 32.487
      SM Henry Brown 2009 Chevy Corvette 32.853
      SM Susan Seeno 1970 Chevy Nova 33.1
      SM Willie Taitano 1965 Ford Cobra 33.229
      SM James Fields 1974 Chevy Camaro 33.368
      SM Jason Benson 1986 Buick T-Type 33.527
      SM Penny Morika 1973 Chevy Camaro 33.748
      SM Andrew Range 1995 Lincoln Towncar 33.835
      SM Brian Ferranti 1970 Chevy Camaro 33.93
      SM Michael Carter 1970 Chevy Chevelle 33.977
      SM Tom Vansteya 2009 Pontiac GXP 34.067
      SM Nate Smith 1993 Chevy Corvette 34.101
      SM Dennis Molzakis 1969 Pontiac Firebird 34.17
      SM Dan Bailey 2007 Jeep SRT8 34.243
      SM Scott Costa 1964 Chevy Nova 34.252
      SM Craig Johnson 1963 Ford Falcon 34.256
      SM Scott Mallery 1969 Dodge RT 34.495
      SM Joe Escobar 1974 Ford Pinto 34.733
      SM Kevin Lyons 1992 Ford Mustang 34.783
      SM Will Rosgen 1963 Mercury Meteor 34.969
      SM Clare Malone 1999 Ford Muastang 35.278
      SM Skyler Duke 1965 Ford Mustang 35.736
      SM Robert Mullius 2010 Chevy HHR 36.052
      SM Andrew Range 1971 Pontiac Grand Ville 36.76
      SM Timothy Dickerson 1973 Pontiac Firebird 42.543

TRK Rob MacGregor 1969 Chevy C-10 30.616 PRO
      TRK Mike Hickman 1968 Chevy C-10 31.522
      TRK Kurt Grimes 1998 Chevy Tahoe 23.985
      TRK Connor Phillips 2001 Dodge PU 35.34
      TRK Daniel Bojas 1972 Chevy Elcamino 36.321

Rodney, thanks again for the ride! My beast will be out there soon....Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikes70 View Post
      Rodney, thanks again for the ride! My beast will be out there soon....Mike
      anytime Mike, and hurry up get that car out there!!

looks like i picked the wrong day to show up! I missed all the excitement of every one's brushes with car death!
      Kyle Newman
      Fabricator at Newman Car Creations
      57 Chevy Wagoon
      "Bad Idea" 55 Chevy

Country Flag: North Korea
      Quote Originally Posted by 73CPCAMARO View Post
      The pits were full of spectators checking out the competition. It does get a bit crowded and hard to manuever thru to and from the track.
      I think that issue is because of the banners on the chain link fences. Which makes it so the pits are the only area to get a good view of the course.

Quote Originally Posted by DartorDemon View Post
      I think that issue is because of the banners on the chain link fences. Which makes it so the pits are the only area to get a good view of the course.
      Actually, there was a perfect view from the other side of the course, IN THE SHADE...
      Steve Martin
      67 Camaro RS
      66 Chevelle

The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk. Now, this is the most popular thing going and the event staff sometimes has to turn people away. As for this last weekend, I felt they got the cars moving and up to the line pretty quickly and the event was run very efficiently. There have been some events (read: Columbus for the SMOTY runs) where getting through the lineup seemed like it took days ...

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons. It's up to each driver to know their abilities behind the wheel and while many think they can drive like Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, and Brian Finch, to name just a few of the Good Guys hotshoes, trying to do so in the close confinement of a Good Guys course may get not so good results. Of all the incidents I've witnessed first-hand, almost all have been due to the driver running out of talent.

Mary Pozzi
      Wow. I didn't expect to get a response by the great Mary Pozzi. Haha I would expect people not wanting to put their show cars through the track. My dad has a camaro sitting in the garage and barely drives it and I always tell him to take it to the show but he never does. I told him i wanted to do autocross since the last time it was at Pleasanton. I fell in love right away. I don't see the barriers that much on the track either. It's scary now whenever I see or hear someone spin out cause I think the may hit the k wall. I'm just glad I got to drive. It's been a dream of mine for over a year and I'm definitely doing it for years to come.

Thanks still a work in progress.

Mary Pozzi
      Wow. I didn't expect to get a response by the great Mary Pozzi. Haha I would expect people not wanting to put their show cars through the track. My dad has a camaro sitting in the garage and barely drives it and I always tell him to take it to the show but he never does. I told him i wanted to do autocross since the last time it was at Pleasanton. I fell in love right away. I don't see the barriers that much on the track either. It's scary now whenever I see or hear someone spin out cause I think the may hit the k wall. I'm just glad I got to drive. It's been a dream of mine for over a year and I'm definitely doing it for years to come.

Thanks still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by bosses son View Post
      looks like i picked the wrong day to show up! I missed all the excitement of every one's brushes with car death!
      I was really Digg'n your guys wagon out there! nice work!
      1967 Cougar XR7, DSE, Sbf, TKO600. PM me about wheel tool rental

I went I showed my 57 Chevy Wagon. Didn't bring the 68 Camaro though.

Quote Originally Posted by starski View Post
      I went I showed my 57 Chevy Wagon. Didn't bring the 68 Camaro though.
      We can make that 57 do everything your Camaro can! http://www.newmancarcreations.com/55-57-chevy/
      Kyle Newman
      57 Chevy Wagoon
      "Bad Idea" 55 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by 67cougnut View Post
      I was really Digg'n your guys wagon out there! nice work!
      Thanks,
      that is a customers car that is going together. The thing is a blast to drive and the owner is LOVING these events. The fact that they can drive the car anywhere and be comfortable and then have it perform like it does is a blast. Now we just need some more of our customers to bring there toys out and play with us!
      Kyle Newman
      57 Chevy Wagoon
      "Bad Idea" 55 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by bosses son View Post
      We can make that 57 do everything your Camaro can! http://www.newmancarcreations.com/55-57-chevy/
      WHAAATT!! Kyle you better fix my car then because I was the fastest first gen there, and I want to be a little faster!!! I will drop that car off on the way to the lake this weekend!! ;) ha ha ha ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com