Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 73 Bird

73 Bird

Hi,

I have utilized your website for information for a while and would like to show you all my latest project. 1973 Firebird Formula my father purchased and restored a few years ago. He recently added a new toy to his collection and something had to go. The bird was on the chopping block, and I hated to see this very clean southern california car go. I purchased it and drove it home from Texas a month ago, and have since added a ridetech coilover kit, strongarms, 4-link, and front musclebar. I purchased GEN IV SFC, solid body bushings, and G-braces to stiffen the chassis, but have yet to install.

The future plans include installing a set of 540 HRE wheels i purchased from a forum member, and front and rear brakes from KORE3. I want to keep Pontiac power, yet lighten the package up with weight saving pieces up front. This will be a street car that will ocassionally see some track time. I work for NASA at Edwards AFB as a research aircraft maintenance technician, so Willow Springs is just down the road.

You have all been the inspiration to continue forward with my projects. I'm loooking forward to sharing my progress with you and maybe helping someone else in the process.Name:  P1010275e.jpg
Views: 4354
Size:  649.6 KBName:  photoe.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  319.1 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Awesome car do you have any more pics? What size are those wheels

Car looks great already. Tobin is great to work with(Kore3). Good luck.
      Asa Walker
      Houston, TX

Thanks for the compliment.

I purchased the wheels from RoninSoCal(great guy), they are 18". I am replacing the front 1.5" outer with a 2.5", to make it a 9" rim. The rear is a 9.5" According to my measurments this will allow me to tuck the wheels at this ride height. I actually ordered a replacement rear spring slightly softer the lower the rear a little.

I spoke with Tobin on the phone last week about options, and it was a very positive experience. I'm looking forward to doing business with him in the near future on several projects.

Name:  P1010266e.jpg
Views: 3508
Size:  500.0 KB

Looking forward to seeing those wheels on it. Great starting point.
      Stephen

Ugly wheels. Hate the car....

Haha! Just kidding Michael! Way to go brother! That car is clean clean clean. Can't wait to see it done and hear your diriving impressions when you get it all set up. Also curious how you're gonna keep it off Willow being so close...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Hre wheels

Wow, beautiful car. I have owned three of the '70-'73 Formula's. I love that era the best. Coincidentally, I run the same rims on my Pontiac (640R's) 18X8.5 / 18X10. Same design, just built a little heavier for SUV/Truck applications. They will look great on your car. It is very cool that you are so close to Willow Springs. I am hoping to get up there when my car is finished. Looking forward to following along with your progress on the car.
      Name:  2012-05-19 14.32.59.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  49.4 KBName:  2012-05-19 14.33.06.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  63.6 KB
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Ron,

I have been driving the car quite a bit, dialing in the pinion angle, preload, and dampning settings. I cant believe it rides this nice at this ride height. I am a firm believer in ridetech.

I plan to draw from your project experience to steer me down the correct path!

Later-A-body,

I have been following your LS7 build and just love that body style. Did you sell the 455 shortblock?

What specifically drove you to abandon the Pontiac power for the LS based motor?

I did. It was the only way to afford the LS7 build. What motor is in the Formula?
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

The car currently sports the original 350 motor, looking to step up to a 400 based stroker.

If you have not picked a Pontiac builder yet, I would contact Dave at SD Performance. I used them for most of my Pontiac stuff. They are a great shop, and really know the Pontiac stuff best, plus just real good guys to work with.

Got it, thanks for the info.

What an amazing start!! WOW...can't wait to see the wheels on it!
      1973 Firebird 466 Pontiac, T56, C5 Brakes, PTFB and Hotchkis suspension
      2011 Camaro SS Supercharged, ZL1 body and brakes, Z28 suspension.

Thanks Bird, any pictures of yours?

Very nice project! The short rear spoiler looks great on that car.

Country Flag: Australia
      That is a really good looking car.....the Camaro spoiler looks great on there (those D80 rear spoilers don't work great, apparently, but they look awesome...had one on my 70 RS/SS) I love the colour of the car.....can't recall seeing a Firebird quite that shade...nice.
      I'll also be following your progress.....I have a thing for early 2nd gen Firebirds, lol.

Another Pontiac builder a bit closer to you than SD Performance is Ken Brewer at Pacific Performance Racing in San Pedro...good guy.
      Stay the heck away from Rock and Roll Performance (Bruce Fulper)....do some internet searches if you'd care to know why.
      I had my heads sent over to Australia from SD Performance and they are a work of art...great guys to deal with.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Thanks guys,

Love and have studied both your cars. I figured i would try the small Camaro spoiler and replace with the correct one if i didn't like it. It is kinda growing on me, although I realize it is not very effective.

That is the original color of the car, Valencia Gold. Although it looks more Orange than gold, it was mixed to the original code.

I will check out Pacific Performance Racing, thanks for the referral.

Man, my favorite, 70-71-72-73 Formula. I am envious!
      Todd B.
      Vengeance Racing
      Formerly at:
      Kurt Urban Performance and Wheel to Wheel Powertrain

Country Flag: Australia
      Valencia Gold, eh? Its surprising, but I've seen quite a few original colours that have been mixed in new 2 pack paint systems that end up looking WAY better than the colours ever did when they were painted in acrylic. Its a great shade between orange and gold.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com