Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 73 Bird

Thanks everybody, now I just need to come up with a couple grand for the brakes.

What do you guys think about the rear spoiler? Keep the Camaro spoiler or install the correct factory spoiler?

Country Flag: United States
      My vote is for the firebird spoiler. Otherwise, the car looks great!

Country Flag: Australia
      Aesthetics aside, the D88 Camaro spoiler basically doesn't work. It looks good, but thats the reason that Chevy moved quickly to adopt the Firebird's rear spoiler as a COPO option (with different end caps), then later as the regular spoiler option. The Firebird spoiler was wind tunnel designed...it works. I hope you've got the early version...70-78...the end caps look better than the 79-81 versions (centre section is common 70-81 Firebird or Camaro).
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Leigh,

I have the early end caps, but not the correct 70-73 versions. My understanding is the early ones have a flat bottom and the 74-78 have a pointed bottom, is this correct? This is from research I have done on the web and resto books. I am not hung up on the small difference between the two as this is car is nothing desirable.

I will post some pictures when I get home next week.

So by my count that's 3 votes for the factory Pontiac spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      Car looks great with the new wheels and tires!
      454bug have spent many summers near you at Elington field collecting data with the NASA ER-2. I live in the Mojave desert but damn it gets hot there. You do some fantastic metal work!

looks great, the camaro spoiler looks smooth and it goes with the body a bit better than the wrap around f bird version.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Rear Spoiler

I would vote for the factory rear spoiler.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Car looks Awsome....love the wheels....what suspension setup are you using to get that Awsome ride height?? Looks perfect

Wheels look great! I prefer the larger rear spoilers on the 2nd gen Fbodies so I'd say go back to the OEM firebird and not the Camaro short spoiler that's on there now.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

So that's 5 for the factory spoiler and one for the current setup...

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
      Car looks Awsome....love the wheels....what suspension setup are you using to get that Awsome ride height?? Looks perfect
      Thanks

Ride Tech coil over setup front and rear. I need to get the brake, wheel, and tire package finished and then dial in the ride height and suspension settings.

I have other long term projects that will require more time, attention, and $ to complete. I would like to backwards engineer this project with the visual cues first. Keep it drivible and enjoy the car, have something to keep my head in the game of moving forward with the more complicated projects.

Wow that is a great looking car,love those hre wheels on it!!!

Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by xplane View Post
      Leigh,

I have the early end caps, but not the correct 70-73 versions. My understanding is the early ones have a flat bottom and the 74-78 have a pointed bottom, is this correct? This is from research I have done on the web and resto books. I am not hung up on the small difference between the two as this is car is nothing desirable.

I will post some pictures when I get home next week.

So by my count that's 3 votes for the factory Pontiac spoiler.
      Not even sure the 73's got those early, slightly shorter ends or not....I know the real early cars did. I believe you can shorten the pointer ones down a bit to resemble the shorter ones...truth is, unless they're side by side ,I'm not sure most people could even tell the difference.

But you're wrong on one count....your car is VERY desirable!!!!!! lol.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

I prefer to have a clean example of the bodystyle I am looking for which is plain jane and not a sought after power train or package. I don't feel bad about modifying or not having the hard to find high dollar parts which make it correct. At some point I will post pictures of the other projects I am working on.

I will get the OEM spoiler ready for paint and install it in the next few weeks. My dad ordered and painted the Camaro spoiler, and we installed it when I flew down to drive the car home. He liked the looks of it, but I don't think he will be to upset with the factory setup. It just looked like it lacked something when it had no rear spoiler.

After mounting and test fitting the tires I am pleased with the results, so I ordered the other two. Great deal thru Discount Tire online, all four were free shipping and a free $50 visa card for the purchase of Nitto's.

I had an offer for a short article on PowerTV, check it out.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/a-...in-the-family/

Way to go Bro!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

I finally ironed out all the options with Tobin (KORE3) on the brakes, I should have everything next week. I am very happy with the service he has provided so far, a really first class guy to deal with.

I ended up going with the 325mm/305mm kits with C6 calipers and upgraded rotors. I could have gone up one size on the rotors (340mm/330mm), but really didn't see the need. This kit should be a dramatic improvement over the factory disk/drum setup. I plan to go hardcore on the 70' Boss trackcar i'm building, but keep the bird a pretty mild streetcar.

Nice ride!
      HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Man this little yellow bird has a great color combo and im not really a fan of orange.I dont know if i like the original or new wheels better?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com