Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      wow all that work only to be ridiculed by chevy vehicles

Why do you say that?
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Trans seems to be a troll, every post update that I have this morning has him making a negative comment of some sort. Looks good, I feel your pain on the welding to the stock material. It either looks "globby" or if you have it too hot it burns right through, only every so often I hit that perfect welder setting and speed and they turn out looking nice.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Looks good. Its the little things that make a difference.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      Trans seems to be a troll, every post update that I have this morning has him making a negative comment of some sort. Looks good, I feel your pain on the welding to the stock material. It either looks "globby" or if you have it too hot it burns right through, only every so often I hit that perfect welder setting and speed and they turn out looking nice.
      Well, it's good to know I'm not alone and I at least have something to blame for my poor fab skills. Just seeing some of the cars on here, including yours, makes me try harder and harder to get better. Probably the last weld I lay down to complete the car will be my best.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

just keep after it. make everything as clean as possible before you weld and keep the heat on the better metal and let the puddle reach the stock metal, has wored for me fairly well. practice over and over. looking good! ed

Glad to see youre still making progress! That Maverick is gorgeous btw, Ive never seen one on fr500's.

Country Flag: UK
      Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      Well, it's good to know I'm not alone and I at least have something to blame for my poor fab skills. Just seeing some of the cars on here, including yours, makes me try harder and harder to get better. Probably the last weld I lay down to complete the car will be my best.
      Welding on your back is a pain in so many ways...

Just like losing something - it's always in the last place you looked. At least it will make you better for the next time.

Pretty nice welds considering you were on your back. Thats a PIA to do. Only thing I can see is your parent material may not have been cleaned enough.
      Keep up the good work. Love your car and the color.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post
      Pretty nice welds considering you were on your back. Thats a PIA to do. Only thing I can see is your parent material may not have been cleaned enough.
      Keep up the good work. Love your car and the color.

Steve
      I completely agree on the parent material. I had it cleaned down to bare metal and I wiped it all with cleaner but I believe the metal is saturated with some type of grease. Thanks for the compliments.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Subframe connector modification:

And here is where I ran out of gas.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

welding teacher once suggested to me to use a torch to pre-clean the metal after griding. according to him, it "boils" saturated materials out.
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Hmmm... maybe if I didn't have all that sound deadener in the car I would. Boy that would make a nasty mess. I'll just stick to inching my way along, 60% of the time it works every time.

Oh and I ground the paint off that subframe connector although it doesn't look like it. I ain't that stoopid.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Cool idea. that ought to help. stiffen it up.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

I've been busy scrubbing and cleaning the underside of this thing, it's sooooooo grungy. Oil leaks, trans leaks mixed with daily abuse made it nasty. Paint stripper makes an EXCELLENT degreaser BTW. Both subframe connectors are in and fully welded. Driverside wheel tub filler is in, just needs a little grinder clean up. Passenger side should be done quickly. I still need to work on fabing up sheet metal for the trunk and find/fit a fuel cell. I've lost some real estate with these frame rails.

Crappy cell pics, like all the others

Ride height with a 17x9 275 combo. It eats this wheel up easy.

Compared to the 315, I'm so ready to order wheels!

Wheels I'll be running
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

are you going to try to get away with stuffing 17x9 fr's up front or are you going to get them narrowed?

I'm not real sure, my wife want's me to stick with the chrome Bullits because it's cheaper and the fronts are already 8s. I may just go that route for now.

Also, I'm thinking of spraying the car satin black. I've added the deck lid and I'll be shaving the drip rails. After I fix some dings and paint cracks it will need a respray and I'm not sure if I should stick with the grabber blue or not. The satin black is the next choice if I don't stay this color. Opinions?
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

leave it grabber blue. it looks good that color, and as you said. satin black is your SECOND choice.
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Grabber blue, end of debate! Yours is the only coupe I have seen in the GB thus making it unique and it looks great as is. If you go black yours will be the same as the sea of other satin black cars out there. On the wheels, I would consider getting the chrome blasted and go with a silver or maybe even a darker color powder coat/paint. I am not a fan of chrome, but that is just me. If you can sell off the bullits I say go with the new rims, much like satin black paint, bullits on a mustang are sort of bellybutton.

Ps. Let me dig up some pics and I will answer your PM.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

As a possible suggestion, you could add some black accents to the grabber blue, which could make it look meaner & sharper. No such thing as making everyone happy, but that could make you & those whose opinions actually count happy.

Speaking of opinions that count, HA HA, I see the previously mentioned trans was banned a few weeks ago.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com