Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      You may have hit post reply a few times?

Cat Junk!!!!

theres a reason summitt racing carried there stuff for about 2 weeks before they junked it, toom any issues with machining and breakage, take pics when it blows up

I'd run cast GM internals before no name forged seconds that ended up on Ebay. Thats just me. Atleast the GM stuff has design, mettalurgy and QC behind it.

test
      Chris V
      SOLD

Im surprised Frank from prodigy hasnt chimed in on this thread as i seen on his website that they used CAT rocker arms on JAGARANGS 69 FIREBIRD which is supposed to make upwords of 1000HP with race gas..

I talked to a friend of mine who works at Car Quest who told me that CAT is actually made by SCAT(the company had split) and both scat and cat come from a offshore country! But most people consider SCAT parts as high quality!

Only time will tell.. YOu guys will just have to wait!
      Project JUST-N-SANE

84' Camaro Z-28, 355CID,9.0-1 compression, ATI procharger 9psi (over 650HP),T56 6 speed, 3.73 Motive gears! 11.70 at 122mph in the 1/4 while babying the throttle to keep the tires hooked ,with pump gas! (NOW INTERCOOLED)

Here is some testimonials from people who have used CAT products..

http://www.catpep.com/about%20us/CATtestimonials.htm
      Project JUST-N-SANE

84' Camaro Z-28, 355CID,9.0-1 compression, ATI procharger 9psi (over 650HP),T56 6 speed, 3.73 Motive gears! 11.70 at 122mph in the 1/4 while babying the throttle to keep the tires hooked ,with pump gas! (NOW INTERCOOLED)

Well I feel bad for Jagarang considering the CAT rocker arms are supposed to be one of their worst products. Also I don't think reading testimonials from the manufactures site is going to be very one sided. good luck again, your going to need it!

Ouch..didn't know that. I guess we'll find out. They were recommended buy Jim Butler personaly. I trust Jim Butler and Jim Butler Performance and hope it turns out favorably.
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

at that HP i would only have a set of shaft mounted jesel rockers anything else is a time bomb
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction
      at that HP i would only have a set of shaft mounted jesel rockers anything else is a time bomb

As long as you use screw in studs with roller rockers and stud girldles (like i do) he wont have a problem...

One thing almost every guy i have ever know overlooks is that they think that the amount of HP you make is what breaks parts, but in reallity its the RPM at which you make the HP that breaks parts...

With a procharger you dont need to spin a motor 10,000 rpms to make 700hp.... My motor redlines at 7,000 and i could actually use a smaller cam and only spin it 6000 and still make 7-800hp as long as you add more boost and octain!

People dont think that companys like Lunati and Dart dont have parts fail... BECAUSE THEY DO>.....

A friend of mine told me a funny story last night...... He said... I know a guy(whos name i wont mention) who bought a Dart block, Dart crank, Dart rods etc etc..($12,000 in just the short block) for his pro stock car and then goes out to Thiesens and uses the cheapest oil and oil filter for it, because Thiesens will donate it as a sponsorship! LOL and then he wonders why his engine blows up....
      Project JUST-N-SANE

i know why it blows up, because he is using cheap ass parts like someone else in this thread.
      Chris V
      SOLD

Dart parts are cheap???
      Project JUST-N-SANE

OK, we are not going to make 1000 HP with Kevin's car. At anything more then 700 HP it will most likely blow the lifter valley out before the rockers break. The lifter valley is our self imposed limiting factor to keep us from getting crazy.

Jim Butler did swear by the rockers, although I am the first to admit I am not Cats biggest fan. However, breaking a crank is slightly different then breaking a rocker. Seeing as I am not a Pontiac expert, and seeing as Jim Butler is, I thought it best to shut up and let him make the decisions, and keep my personal prejudices to myself.

For the record, my basic operating theory is to spend fair money for good lower end components (guts) because when they go they pretty much destroy anything in site. I have bought budget cranks in the past, only to have to turn them and have them nitrated, which ended up making them cost what a good one would have cost.

With that said, A guy that worked with me has a street race car with a similar engine to mine, 400 SBC, bought a set of Cat 5140 I beams. Put them in out of the box, turns the snot out of it on 450 HP spray, and has not hurt it yet! but then again I hear constant horror stories of other just driving down the road and snap! So, it is probably a craps shot at best.

I wish you luck with it Brian, I respect the fact you are on a budget. I guess if it lets go it wasn't like you had a mountain of money in a high dollar block.

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
      OK, we are not going to make 1000 HP with Kevin's car. At anything more then 700 HP it will most likely blow the lifter valley out before the rockers break. The lifter valley is our self imposed limiting factor to keep us from getting crazy.

Jim Butler did swear by the rockers, although I am the first to admit I am not Cats biggest fan. However, breaking a crank is slightly different then breaking a rocker. Seeing as I am not a Pontiac expert, and seeing as Jim Butler is, I thought it best to shut up and let him make the decisions, and keep my personal prejudices to myself.

For the record, my basic operating theory is to spend fair money for good lower end components (guts) because when they go they pretty much destroy anything in site. I have bought budget cranks in the past, only to have to turn them and have them nitrated, which ended up making them cost what a good one would have cost.

With that said, A guy that worked with me has a street race car with a similar engine to mine, 400 SBC, bought a set of Cat 5140 I beams. Put them in out of the box, turns the snot out of it on 450 HP spray, and has not hurt it yet! but then again I hear constant horror stories of other just driving down the road and snap! So, it is probably a craps shot at best.

I wish you luck with it Brian, I respect the fact you are on a budget. I guess if it lets go it wasn't like you had a mountain of money in a high dollar block.

Thats exactly right..... I dont have a moutain of money to spend and i wont have a ton of money in the engine either..... and if it holds up i will have hell of a great engine!

THere might be alot of guys on this site with 6 figure incomes or more that might be able to afford $1000 crankshafts and $800 rods and $800 pistons but im trying to do it on a very very small budget and quickly i might add, as i actually like to drive my car.. If i had to build my car according the the guide lines of every person on this website i would easily have $20,000 in my motor! But to be honest there is also alot of guys on here making big power ,without any problems, with stock and or cast parts!

You have to respect me for being willing to try something out of the norm verses spending rediculos amounts of money to do the same job!
      Project JUST-N-SANE

sorry I am only 25 years old and am unemployed. beat that for a budget!! Well you might get lucky. Make sure to have your machinst triple check everything on the crank and rods, hopefully he is a decent machinist. Also are you having the the motor balanced? You will find out real quick if it is a crappy crank when you get it balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by yody
      sorry I am only 25 years old and am unemployed. beat that for a budget!! Well you might get lucky. Make sure to have your machinst triple check everything on the crank and rods, hopefully he is a decent machinist. Also are you having the the motor balanced? You will find out real quick if it is a crappy crank when you get it balanced.
      yep mallory is expensive
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by yody

Yes the complete engine is being balanced from the SFI balancer all the way to the aluminum fidenza flywheel!

Its amazing how an unemployed guy can afford $3500 wheels LOL... Im sure you werent unemployed to recently... My girlfriend only makes $7 an hour and i am left to pay for the WHOLE house payment and expenses..
      Project JUST-N-SANE

BTW, I would not go with a billet crank but i would do with a forged eagle or scat crank. I know a good scat dealer that could hook you up with some nice prices.
      Chris V
      SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction
      BTW, I would not go with a billet crank but i would do with a forged eagle or scat crank. I know a good scat dealer that could hook you up with some nice prices.

Thanks for the offer... but, like i said before im willing to take the chance on the parts i have already purchased... the machine shop talked to me today and the motor should be done in the next few days..

Just call me Welterracer the guinee pig... LOL
      Project JUST-N-SANE

Well i worked at home depot as a peon for 2 years if that counts. Also my wheels didn't cost $3500 not even with tires

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com