Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      3m 8115 is a great product, I used it when I rebuilt a wrecked viper. I honestly don't think that you can bond two different substrates (steel and fiberglass or smc) and have 100% for long term use. I live in Wyoming and did some fiberglass work on a truck I had in high school. It cracked out a few years later. We have extreme temperature variations from winter to summer. I think it depends on where you live and if you leave your car outside in the winter vs a heated garage. 3m makes two different guns here is a picture of one that might save you a few bucks if you decide you want to buy one.
      http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/...V3DTtiXXUQ.jpg

For someone with only a little bit of work to do & not wanting to buy a special 2 part gun, you can cut a scrap of 1 x 4 lumber with a slit in it to push into the 2 individual tubes & mount it in the large sized home caulking guns. Worked for me.

I use this in my shop quite a bit and it is hands down one of the best products I have ever used, there are other companies that make similar products and all work great but I would stick to this if you have little to no experience using bonding agents.

http://3mcollision.com/products/adhe...ive-08115.html
      ASE Master Certified Collision Repair Technician, Custom fabricator and Engine Builder
      1988 Monte Carlo SS, LT1/4L60E
      1963 GMC K1502 4x4
      1990 Toyota Hilux Surf Turbo Diesel

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Touring SS View Post
      I use this in my shop quite a bit and it is hands down one of the best products I have ever used, there are other companies that make similar products and all work great but I would stick to this if you have little to no experience using bonding agents.

http://3mcollision.com/products/adhe...ive-08115.html
      X2, great product.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by V8 Square View Post
      Thanks for the info. But what about "glass" bodies/firewall? Do they burn also?
      The early Lotus Esprit a guy once rebuilt in my home town did...on its first drive.

As another thought, anything you bond to should be bonded to an edge of the fiberglass part. As an example I know of a '38 Chevy with fiberglass hood top built to hinge at the rear. It has a pair of oak planks bonded to the underside and glassed in to provide attachment for the hinges, running side to side. No matter what, differing temps allow the planks to distort the hood surface and show in reflections off the paint.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

A little late to the conversation but wanted to pass along this guide that should help you make the right choice for bonding composites. Hopefully, this will serve as a good guide for others with a similar project. This is the guide for 3M Scotch-Weld two part adhesives. You should find what you're looking for from this list.

Spidy senses say you're probably interested in their DP-410 or DP-490.

Good luck with the flares.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/3...hesive%20Guide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com