Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking great. I would make one recommendation. Mount the bottom LCA spring mount in double-shear. The load on the lower bolt will be pushed to the limit quickly. I am sure you can fab something. Also, try and distribute the load through three contact points. Look at this design from Fabtech's kit for Dodge Rams. Name:  fabfts93013_1.jpg
Views: 5368
Size:  40.6 KB
      Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work.

MichaelUser, thanks for the suggestion!!! I've redesigned the lower coilover mount. I cut out some 10GA steel, put some bends in it, welded on some gussets and powder coated them mini-tex black. As mentioned earlier there is very little room for coilovers in the shock area on these IRS's (axle and boot on one side, tie rod on the other) - positioning the shock was a pain in the A&&. After it's all said and done I should have just enough room on either side for full articulation...now, on to the quarter panels.

Name:  IMG_20130820_212606_044.jpg
Views: 5116
Size:  59.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_20130820_212644_008.jpg
Views: 5096
Size:  70.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_20130820_213054_079.jpg
Views: 5103
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20130820_212814_066.jpg
Views: 5161
Size:  67.3 KB

Danny,

Great job.

Keep us posted.

On to the quarters...

In my efforts to remove the old quarter panels I uncovered some rust with a big hole and some other pin holes around the driver side B-Pillar (luckily the pass. side is solid). Time to break out the shrinker\stretcher again.

Name:  DSC01755.JPG
Views: 4940
Size:  209.4 KB

Name:  DSC01756.JPG
Views: 4974
Size:  230.8 KB

I cut out the affected area and fab'd up some pieces to replace it.

Name:  DSC01761.JPG
Views: 5009
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  DSC01763.JPG
Views: 4932
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  DSC01771.JPG
Views: 5007
Size:  182.0 KB

Danny,

wow youre pretty good with that stretcher shrinker!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Touring-Truck

DMP Fabrication LLC
      Follow me on Instagram for welding and truck progress! - Americangraffiti

Quote Originally Posted by the dan View Post
      wow youre pretty good with that stretcher shrinker!
      Thanks! I had a little practice making a corner for my one piece floor pan (to line up with the wheel house) since it didn't initially line up as produced. The key to that machine is patience!

and your truck is sick! What an awesome project!

Danny,

Nice progress, not sure how I missed this build. In for updates!
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

I just love removing bad metal to...find more bad metal!

I'll have to fabricate and replace a large section of the roof support shown here that's rusted out. Dang, I was hoping to start welding in the quarters :-|

Name:  DSC01787.JPG
Views: 4829
Size:  202.9 KB

Danny,
      1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???
      Build Thread: Project OCD

Story of my life right there. Rust, rust and more rust.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      Story of my life right there. Rust, rust and more rust.
      LOL, my wife walked into my shop earlier this week so I proceeded to show her my progress (of course I was excited, like a kid showing his parents how he learned to jump a ramp)...she just stood there nodding her head as I was explaining the current work completed as well as all of the pieces I have left to replace\fix...when I was done she simply smiled and asked "why did you buy this car?"

1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???

My wife does the same thing. When I fabricated the trans tunnel I asked her to come take a look. She looked in, said "that is nice" and went back inside. She does not question why I bought the car and she is a bit of a car chick but more on the driving side than caring about working on them. Her eyes glaze over when I go into detail on my plans for the Falcon. I am just happy she puts up with me.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Same here with my wife - she asked why I didn't just go buy a new mustang and why I put myself through this nightmare! I get excited about every little thing about the car, but she has had to put up with the restoration for almost 10 years.

Country Flag: Greece
      Nice build. I like your version of an IRS build. Very clean and well thought out. You addressed all the issues that might arise from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      My wife does the same thing. When I fabricated the trans tunnel I asked her to come take a look. She looked in, said "that is nice" and went back inside. She does not question why I bought the car and she is a bit of a car chick but more on the driving side than caring about working on them. Her eyes glaze over when I go into detail on my plans for the Falcon. I am just happy she puts up with me.
      Quote Originally Posted by GT500KR_Vert View Post
      Same here with my wife - she asked why I didn't just go buy a new mustang and why I put myself through this nightmare! I get excited about every little thing about the car, but she has had to put up with the restoration for almost 10 years.
      LowFast and GT500KR Vert, even though our wives don't quite understand the insanity (I question it myself at times), it sounds like we're all lucky they put up with us ;-)

Made a little progress this weekend. Removed the trashed roof support section and started building and welding in some new metal. I don't plan on trying to match every shape, dimension and hole the factory had - I'm primarily going for structure.

Name:  DSC01791.JPG
Views: 4507
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  DSC01804.JPG
Views: 4565
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  DSC01806.JPG
Views: 4601
Size:  158.8 KB

Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by alexandros View Post
      Nice build. I like your version of an IRS build. Very clean and well thought out. You addressed all the issues that might arise from the beginning.
      Thanks alexandros! I sure hope the IRS ends up performing well! I've got at least a solid years worth of time invested in getting the IRS to fit in a modular fashion. It's pretty much self-contained, where the coil-over shocks mount to the IRS cradle brackets. And the cradle itself slips over the somewhat factory frame rails. Towards the end of the year I'll be going through the whole thing - replacing all the bushings with delrin, stronger tie-rods, FR diff cover, etc.

Danny,

Made some progress through the holidays. Finished the driver side inner roof structure and to my surprise the passenger side was just as bad - somewhere along this car's life it had it's roof replaced; as with other sections of this car there were too many overlapping pieces of sheet-metal and\or the welds were not structurally sound. And of course rust didn't help either :-(

Cut out the bad section (passenger side).
      Name:  DSC01830.JPG
Views: 4441
Size:  214.6 KB

Rebuilt the section using my brake and bead roller.
      Name:  DSC01833.JPG
Views: 4385
Size:  110.3 KB

Finished trimming the piece to fit and applied some weld through primer.
      Name:  DSC01834.JPG
Views: 4419
Size:  119.6 KB

Welded the new section in place.
      Name:  DSC01837.JPG
Views: 4474
Size:  198.0 KB

The interior roof structure needed some sections replaced as well.
      Name:  DSC01839.JPG
Views: 4430
Size:  223.3 KB

and after another fun day of sand blasting (what a freaken mess), finally got everything epoxy primed.
      Name:  DSC01850.JPG
Views: 4510
Size:  152.1 KB

On to the quarters...except I've gotten myself side-tracked again building more tools and started working on my rotisserie (pictures to follow).

Happy Holidays!!!
      Last edited by modmotor46; 08-18-2014 at 02:30 AM. Reason: edit the font size of the picture captions

I'm enjoying your build. I did chuckle at your rust comment. Most of us are surrounded by rust. Once a body is blasted, you find that the paint and gunk was all that was there.

Thanks wfo_guy! I guess sometimes we have too much optimism; hoping that we've seen the last of the rust...nope, just found some more ;-) At least I'm down to the final stretch considering I've replaced or repaired dang near every possible section of sheet metal on the car. The crazy thing is, it will actually be a brand new car - it'll just look old.

Awesome ..... will be watching..... you got skills for sure !!!!

Thanks DC-69! The best part of all of this is the learning. It's sometimes frustrating trying to figure all of this out but at the end of the day I'm learning a ton of cool stuff, especially the welding and metal work.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com