Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      On to the Rotisserie, this thing will be pretty sweet once completed. All steel used is 3/16" wall in a variety of sizes from 3 1/2" to 1 1/2" depending on the component. I made the legs removable to save space in my shop (it's amazing how quickly you run out of space). An unforeseen byproduct of my design is I can flip the legs over if I need a more stationary position or flip them back over to ride on the casters (the picture below has them flipped casters up) - obviously this is only with the rotisserie unloaded. Between the main carriage (the part the jack will push up) and the primary square tube there is a 1/8" gap all the way around due to size differences and wall thickness of the tubes - I plan to put 1/16" thick shims made out of acetal plastic in each of the four corners. This will help take up the slack and provide a better bearing surface vs. metal on metal. The shims will start as 2" x 12" strips that will be heated slightly and then bent 90 degrees on a small sheet metal bender I have.

Cutting the tube steel on the trusty ol' HF band saw.
      Name:  DSC01848.JPG
Views: 10865
Size:  157.2 KB

Welding has been a combination of TIG and MIG. My MIG welds here are definitely getting better.
      Name:  DSC01854.JPG
Views: 10734
Size:  105.2 KB

The majority of the parts are cutout and welded together.
      Name:  DSC01855.JPG
Views: 10792
Size:  152.6 KB

Close up of the primary structure with nuts welded on to secure the removable legs.
      Name:  DSC01856.JPG
Views: 10689
Size:  104.9 KB

Getting closer to being done. Still have to secure the jack, weld in some gussets and figure out how to secure the acetal shims.
      Name:  DSC01860.JPG
Views: 13390
Size:  228.4 KB

Maybe soon i can start back on my car ;-)

Danny,

1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???
      Build Thread: Project OCD

Danny,

Looking good !!!! I really like the IRS ......Rotisserie looks good,they sure make it nice to work on one when you don;t have to stand on your head to work on it or lay on the concrete to work on it. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks DC-69, the IRS has, so far, been the most fun of this build! Can't wait to finish the dang sheetmetal work though; I'm ready to start on wiring, drive-train, etc.
      1967 Mustang Coupe - I think I've built more tools\jigs than worked on the car???

ok, enough of building tools...on to the quarters

In preparation for the quarter panels I had to address the tail panel first.

Removed the trunk corners as I knew there was rust under them. Cut that crap out and welded in a bent metal replacement.
      Name:  DSC01871.JPG
Views: 10213
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSC01876.JPG
Views: 10242
Size:  101.8 KB

Welded new Dynacorn trunk corners in.
      Name:  DSC01885.JPG
Views: 10538
Size:  102.9 KB

Notched the quarter panel every 1 1/2" to bend the lip up for more clearance. I bent the wheelhouse lip first and then I'll bend the quarter, hoping to get a nice smooth uniform bend in the entire opening.
      Name:  DSC01897.JPG
Views: 12260
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  DSC01899.JPG
Views: 11147
Size:  121.1 KB

The quarters are finally welded in...woohoo...there actually is light at the end of the tunnel!

The next hurdle is the drip rails. I had removed an eight inch section of the drip rails on each side as they were beat up and rusted out in places. I debated on completely cutting them off, welding and smoothing out the roof but at the end of the day - the drip rails are one more aspect of old cars that make them unique - to me they're definitely worth keeping/saving. That being said, short of finding a good donor set in worthy shape, no one makes a set for the coupes. I had bought a set of fastback drip rails a while back to use a section out of but they're not even close! They were at least an eighth of an inch narrower and the inside lip didn't match.

Time to put the shop tools to good use. I ended up making my own and felt I should post the process I used in the event someone else needs to repair their's ;-)

I started by forming what would end up being the inside lip that the drip rail moldings attach to. Here the lip was formed using a step die on my bead roller.
      Name:  DSC01915.JPG
Views: 10273
Size:  107.8 KB

Next I bent/folded the metal back over the step formed above to start forming the actual drip rail lip.
      Name:  DSC01917.JPG
Views: 9880
Size:  86.2 KB

I then clamped the piece in my vice and carefully hammered the rail section down and over to form the final lip.
      Name:  DSC01919.JPG
Views: 9935
Size:  111.8 KB

Once the lip was complete, I put the piece back on my metal brake and bent the 1/4" radius that allowed me to weld the whole thing in place. (note: the 1/4" radius was created using a custom die I made that fits my metal brake. basically it is 1/4" round stock with a slot milled in it that fits over the angled die on my metal brake).
      Name:  DSC01921.JPG
Views: 9876
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  DSC01928.JPG
Views: 9909
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  DSC01930.JPG
Views: 9858
Size:  105.2 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Wow that is amazing metal work, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Spork82 View Post
      Wow that is amazing metal work, keep it up!
      Thanks Spork82! I am so ready to be finished with sheet-metal work for a while. Can't wait to start on other things like suspension, drive-train, etc.

Danny,

Very Impressive metal work
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
      Very Impressive metal work
      Thanks KnightMare! I just checked out your thread, that's one hell of a project you took on - quite impressive. I guess we're gluttons for punishment in our rust attacks.

Danny,

Luckily for me the availablity of parts I didn't have to do much fabricating like you but I love the methodical approach you have taken. I know when I start my GTO project I'll have to fab a lot of parts like you, so I'm taking notes from this tread!
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

thanks, the funny thing is some of the parts (or sections of parts) I fabricated were actually available (well...except for the inner roof structures and drip rails). I just got tired of spending money on sheet metal :-) and it was pretty fun making them!

I'll definitely be following your Camaro build, you should stick a new Camaro IRS in the rear ;-) and can't wait to see the GTO build!

Your feedback and pics are great, really helps to simplify the logic and fabrication process. Sorry, the cradle build is way beyond my talents. Keep it coming. Its this kind of stuff that really helps us beginner DIY guys. First priority, in my next life, I want a bigger garage. I'm doing my build in the space of a small one car garage, constantly moving cars to have space to work.

Quote Originally Posted by groho View Post
      Your feedback and pics are great, really helps to simplify the logic and fabrication process. Sorry, the cradle build is way beyond my talents. Keep it coming. Its this kind of stuff that really helps us beginner DIY guys. First priority, in my next life, I want a bigger garage. I'm doing my build in the space of a small one car garage, constantly moving cars to have space to work.

Thanks groho! Everyone starts as a beginner; i'm still learning some of this stuff as I go too. The key is - you can't learn unless you do it!

I started years ago in my garage also, what a pain in the a$$. Stick with it man!

Danny,

Nice work, Its looking good.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

What an awesome build/thread. Your talent and commitment are inspiring and impressive, just WOW on the metal skills!! Here's wishing you good luck and "winning" as you march forward, and thanks for sharing.

Bossed

Nice project, and making and purchasing new tools never ends... I've been making all kinds of equipment over the last 2-3 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice work, Its looking good.
      Thanks Motown 454.

Holy Bat Sh!+ I thought I had little left to work with. That is seriously impressive and going to be one sweet ride! Do you have any updates? Have you got the engine and trans in it yet?

Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by Bossed View Post
      What an awesome build/thread. Your talent and commitment are inspiring and impressive, just WOW on the metal skills!! Here's wishing you good luck and "winning" as you march forward, and thanks for sharing.

Bossed

Thanks Bossed! That's what makes this forum so cool; there are so many guys out there building some really awesome rides you can't help but get inspired.

Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Rod Technologies View Post
      Nice project, and making and purchasing new tools never ends... I've been making all kinds of equipment over the last 2-3 years...
      Thanks man! The good thing is once you build them you have them for other projects! :-)

Danny,

Got some more sheet metal work done.

I had removed sections of the rear window side/channel area on both the driver and passenger side due to rust. A little tricky matching some of the radius's but with trial and error it all worked out in the end.

Jacked up sections removed (passenger side).
      Name:  DSC01937.JPG
Views: 9196
Size:  127.3 KB

Here's where I had to get creative to reproduce the indent for one of the rear window molding clips. I chiseled out a section of a 2x4 and bent the metal into the recess with a rounded punch.
      Name:  DSC01933.JPG
Views: 9430
Size:  109.5 KB

Pieces tacked in place awaiting final welding and grinding (I hate grinding!!!)
      Name:  DSC01943.JPG
Views: 9225
Size:  121.7 KB

All that's left now is to fab the sail panel to tie the roof and quarter together :-)
      Name:  DSC01948.JPG
Views: 9377
Size:  115.3 KB

Oh yeah, and once again...I got side tracked and started working on adding digital readout (DRO) to my Smithy. Here's a picture of the quill collar I had to make to be able to mount the DRO for the Z axis. Hopefully I can finish mounting the scales for X, Y and Z and get back to the car again.
      Name:  DSC01949rs.jpg
Views: 9128
Size:  81.5 KB

Danny,

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com