Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Oil catch setup on Whipple charged BBC

I have a Dart 540 with a Whipple 3300 EFI setup. I put breathers in each valve cover, even though 67ls1vert warned me that I was going to make a mess. Well guess what...now I'm getting oil all over my valve covers and the top of my headers.

I've read through the threads on the PCV setups and think I have a solution planned out, but wanted to run it across the experts here to make sure I'm not going to cause other problems.

Since the car is just as much about "show" as it is "go", I needed a solution that would be functional, but would still be a clean install. I bought an All Star breather tank from Summit and plan to mount this on the firewall up under the fender on the driver's side. I also purchased Billet Specialties PCV Valves for each valve cover.

The plan is to run AN6 hose from each PCV valve into a Tee at the back of the motor, from there was going to run a single AN6 hose to the catch can under the fender. I am then going to run a drain line down so that I can periodically drain the tank.

A couple of questions...
      Is it OK to run the PCV valves? or should I be running an open hose? I prefer the clean look of the PCV valves, but may be able to drill them out if necessary
      Is it OK to run both hoses to a Tee? Trying to limit how many hoses I have to run to the fender.
      Do I have to have a vacuum pump? or will the positive pressure be sufficient for this to work?
      Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
      ---Eric

Oil catch setup on Whipple charged BBC

Eric,
      You might want to contact Mike Norris on here...he should be able to help you out.
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

I am also curious on this as I am in the process of doing this on my turbo motor.
      David Butler
      "If you're not first, you're last"
      67 Camaro Twin Turbo SBC (changing from Blow-thru to Holley HP EFI)

Wow, no answers? How about you Mike, can you provide any input?

I have spent the last few nights studying Crank Case Ventilation... So far .. this has been the best information that I have found...

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf

Looks like I have my reading cut out for me tonight! Thanks for the information Cris...looks like just what I needed. ---Eric

1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

Country Flag: Finland
      PCV-valves works on na-engines. In boosted engine, there is much more positive pressure in crank case cos pistonring are letting boost pass down. You dont want to let that oily mist air go back to your intake, oil will build up and it will lower your octane. It causes knocing and engine failure.

Best way in FI-engine is with vacuumpump. Just have to make sure that engine is sealed tight.

I'm building 572 Hemi with 4.2L Kenne Bell and I'm useing Moroso vacuum pump.

NA-engine is totally different than FI-engine.
      Juhani

'70 Super Bee next in line...
      '01 SuperDuty 7.3PSD CrewCab Dually, little tuned daily driver.