Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I think 99% of the chassis and drivetrain work that should be done body-off is complete... Dry sump pump, pan, filter and thermostat are plumbed. Ive never heard of these guys Improved Racing until about a month ago but I really liked the look of their oil thermostat. Upon receiving it, the part looks very well made and its available in different opening temperatures. My Earls sandwich thermostat was only available in 180 and with the majority of my seat time being on the street I couldnt always get the oil temp up to 212. My Improved Racing one is 215*F

Trans is in for good... Bellhousing indexed to .002" I went with an ACT 10.5" billet steel flywheel. Weighs 12lbs with most of the material removed towards the outside. The clutch is a Spec 3+ with their billet aluminum pressure plate which is ~7.5lbs lighter than the standard. The whole assembly, clutch flywheel and pressure plate weighs 31 lbs

Body comes back home end of this week... I dont know if Im excited or scared to start bodywork!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Picking away some small projects while I wait for some space to clear up for the body in my shop...
      Titanium heat shield for the oil lines:

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Changing gears a bit, time for the body to get prepped for frame marriage...

Wheel tubs getting cut out for proper clearance... This car will be lower than most C3's and still have ~2.5" for suspension compression.
      Prior rubbing... Notice it also rubbed on the top!

Cut out the offending area, Ill be making a foam mold to raise the arch and get rid of the inward taper
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Beautiful build! crazy to see the how much its changed over the years as you click through the pages. I do have one question for you, I could be wrong but it looks like the rear diff is actually higher than the trans? if so im in the same situation and was kinda worried about drive line angle of the transmission being angled down. From everything i read you need to match the angle of the trans to the rear diff. Whats your idea or plans with your setup as far as driveline angle?

Thanks, Shawn! Im doing my best to make this thing "future proof" so that I can enjoy it once its done instead of wishing that I did something better a year from now (wishful thinking)... Ive BEEN ready to put some miles on this car again.
      The diff pinion angle is still technically the same as the trans. The motor sits pretty low and the diff has been raised. As long as the driveshaft is seeing the same angles, I dont think it cares what end is up.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      The motor sits pretty low and the diff has been raised. As long as the driveshaft is seeing the same angles, I dont think it cares what end is up.
      You are right. and after staring at the picture for a bit i can see the diff angle now. Its always hard to tell with pictures, but im just glad someone else is in the same boat as i am and still confident haha. Good luck! ill be following along

And just like that... Roll cage out, interior gutted, and told everyone at my shop to hold their complaints about fiberglass smell and dust everywhere for the next week...

Not a 100% smooth firewall, but I got rid of a few things that wont be needed anymore. Along with a bunch of unnecessary holes.

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Temporarily mounted the rear section of the cage on the chassis for storage... Its hard to get the perspective of how low the car is but these pictures are chassis rideheight (suspension is drooped) It should be around 45" tall with the T-tops on

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

I finally made it through the entire build thread. Wow. Very nice build. I'm afraid Mine may get this extreme eventually, but I'm going to try to be conservative. Nice work on the frame and suspension

Rough first layer of glass for the wheel tub, and a comparison to the stock drivers side.

Quote Originally Posted by jimco84x View Post
      I finally made it through the entire build thread. Wow. Very nice build. I'm afraid Mine may get this extreme eventually, but I'm going to try to be conservative. Nice work on the frame and suspension
      Thank you! Had the ridetech and detroit speed stuff came out before I started this project, I may have just gone down that route... Id probably be driving the car right now if I did!! My one piece of advice if you do plan to go this far; keep your car on the road and buy another frame so you can (a) still drive the car and (b) use your car for reference measurements
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Country Flag: Canada
      Thanks! Its a Dart SHP 427, Dart 215 heads, hydraulic roller (have to dig up the cam specs). It made 595 on the dyno, Im hoping I can hit the 600 mark with some light intake porting, tuning and the drysump vacuum... Ive also wanted a 427sbc forever (hence the username!) and I came across this motor for a price that I couldnt pass up. The only reason This car doesnt have an LS is because I plan to have this car mostly completed to take a road trip down the east coast spring of 2019. The LS would have delayed that with the extra wiring, tuning and cost of parts. Ill build a nice N/A 427 LS based motor in my spare time while I enjoy the car. My current daily driver is 5800lbs and 140hp. I need something fast in my life again ASAP

PS start a thread on your 64!
      Is the Dart SHP a spreadrail block? Meaning, are the oil pan rails spread apart to make room for the stroker crankshaft? I have a Dart Iron Eagle 434 block and the pan rails are spread out from stock so a stock dimension pan wont fit. Im having trouble finding a dry sump oil pan.
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Quote Originally Posted by shortrack View Post
      Is the Dart SHP a spreadrail block? Meaning, are the oil pan rails spread apart to make room for the stroker crankshaft? I have a Dart Iron Eagle 434 block and the pan rails are spread out from stock so a stock dimension pan wont fit. Im having trouble finding a dry sump oil pan.
      No the SHP is a standard pan size... The Aviaid oil systems website is difficult to navigate... I called and they were very helpful getting my non standard oil pump fitment figured out. Worth a call to see if they have or can make you a pan.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Country Flag: Canada
      No the SHP is a standard pan size... The Aviaid oil systems website is difficult to navigate... I called and they were very helpful getting my non standard oil pump fitment figured out. Worth a call to see if they have or can make you a pan.
      Thanks I'll give them a call. Car looks good keep diggin'
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Progress!

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

Bit more progress tonight... got my masters cut into the firewall and the pedal box mocked up. Also working on the positioning for the oil tank... it's going to be VERY tight with the planned cage routing, oil cooler and all the associated lines. Fingers crossed!

I plan on cutting the fender "gutter" to allow for oil fill access. The drain is easily accessible underneath as well. I had ports welded on the tank for a level sight, but it's only a clear plastic hose with hose barbs... I'm worried that may fail and dump oil in close proximity to the headers so instead I'm going to see if I can find a low level sensor that will fit and hook it to my existing oil light.

And the car at rideheight... 26" front fender height and 27" at the rear

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

been making progress, just not able to host my pics anywhere (easily from my phone... working on that though!) Heres a couple that I was able to host on another forum:

335/30/18 mocked up, I know I said I was keeping this chassis under stock fenders, but I may or may not have messed up my total track width measurement According to my chassis build sheet, my tires are 72" outside to outside. 2" flares already on their way, and the subtle widebody idea has already grown on me. (I was going to run the 2" flares out back anyway)

Cage is almost completed, forward-leaning radiator position and size is mocked up and ready to order, Mercedes electric PS pump is plumbed and fender gill-exit oil cooler is mocked up. Pics coming, I promise!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

been making progress, just not able to host my pics anywhere (easily from my phone... working on that though!) Heres a couple that I was able to host on another forum:

335/30/18 mocked up, I know I said I was keeping this chassis under stock fenders, but I may or may not have messed up my total track width measurement According to my chassis build sheet, my tires are 72" outside to outside. 2" flares already on their way, and the subtle widebody idea has already grown on me. (I was going to run the 2" flares out back anyway)

Cage is almost completed, forward-leaning radiator position and size is mocked up and ready to order, Mercedes electric PS pump is plumbed and fender gill-exit oil cooler is mocked up. Pics coming, I promise!
      Widebody C3 Vettes are cool. They have real character.

I love this build. Very well done.

Keep the updates coming. I have made a few math mistakes as well, its how we adapt them to make it work.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      Widebody C3 Vettes are cool. They have real character.

I love this build. Very well done.
      Thanks, Bill! You know, I always wanted a flared vette, but when I had this car completed (before I took the body off) I fell in love with the stock fendered look - as long as the stance was right. The big flared cars like the detroit speed car, danny popp and everyone else running a C3 in the goodguys/optima scene are cool, but not the look I want for this car. I dont want the average Joe to be able to tell that this car has flares. I have a custom set of 2" flares for the rear coming that will hopefully have even the corvette guys doing a double take wondering if its flared. The cage, tire size and big brakes kind of ruin the "suble look" though

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      Keep the updates coming. I have made a few math mistakes as well, its how we adapt them to make it work.
      Very true, Daniel!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ

I love this build. I was wondering if you have those BMW wheels still and if you're looking at selling them?
      Doug

1970 chevelle, carb'd, turbo'd 383ci with a tremec tko.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com