Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project "Schism" 69 camaro

So- as most of you know- i got the car on the road last weekend to head to Pigeon Forge for RTTHs 8!
      Here is how it went- enjoy...

So it went like this... I took a vacation week prior to leaving for TN on thursday-knowing this was the only way i could get the car on the road...
      All of the wknd prior, 0600-0300am every day- thrashing away... Tues night- setting alignment- realize the rack & pinion has **** the bed... Overnight new one from Sumitt..get it on weds...

Thursday morning comes & first thing, i get a sliver of metal in my left eye... It's killing me... Supposed to meet up with two other guys @1200 to drive out... Im working all morning with one eye & about to go to the hospital... 230 comes- hop in the shower with a bloody red eye & it feels better after the shower so i forgo the hospital & get on the road to meet up. Construction detour- back road... Hit first big dip- scrape the headers a little- first war wound... First time driving car ever- EVER- break in is on way to Pigeon Forge, TN-300miles each way.. I know- i know... Dumb idea... Lol...

Spring an oil leak on pan about half way there... Car runs smooth otherwise & i'm grinning ear to ear the whole drive! People are waiving at me & my buddy mike the whole time with thumbs up! He has a 69PT as well... Get into town & drop our stuff @ hotel- head to friends garage to put on lift so we can see what the leak is- oil pan gasket- no big deal...small leak

Friday morning-0630- tech inspection- im running way behind tryin to get a lap belt in(didn't have time prior to leaving-priorities...)- bolt hole cross threads- retap it- get seat belt in- start driving school rt away... Front & rear tires are rubbing in corners- stop driving @1000- work on car until 4... Raise ride heighth 2" all around, change camber from -1/4" to -1"... Suspension is good but now pinion angle is off a little- no one has a gauge- no biggie... Go to hosted dinner...
      BTW- the grand run is going on this wknd as well- thousands upon thousands of muscle cars & whatever you can imagine cars along Dolly Parton pkwy... Plus 500,000+ people...
      Traffic was insane... On way back from dinner, about .5 mile from hotel & sitting in stop & go traffic for 90 minutes- i hear a flap flap inside my hood... Pull over immediatly... Ac belt snapped & shredded, entangeling all around my crank pulley... 20 minutes later of cutting with a dull pocketknife borrowed from a local bystander- im back on the road... Make it next half mile- turn onto hotel street & out of no where- blueberries come into rearview... Old man pulls me over b/c he couldn't see my tailights... BTW- the strip is lit up like daytime...talk my way out of it & make it to hotel where my buds who have been waiting on me for an hour have a well needed cold one waiting... Lol...

Sat... 0600- realize my rear wheels aren't centered in wheel wells(almost all the way to back fender)- back to work-adjust torsion bars & center -go to track,do 4 laps... Spraying fuel now... Crawl under- tank venting is not working- overflowing...& my flex line to hardline compression fitting is now spraying rt beside muffler... Time to shut her down & go back to work...back to DSE tent-take off exhaust... Fix AN connector, test... Good... Lunch... Back to track- 7 laps before end of day shutdown. Car finally feels good- knocking a second or more off every lap! They wave us in-done...right when i was feeling good & starting to open her up a bit...4 seconds slower than vendor leaders...sorry- im a bit & know my car is capable! First time so i can't complain...
      Afterwards- i pop hood to see that my serp belt has been chewed a bit- 6 rib belt is now 5... Appears that the power steering pump pulley is the culprit & has moved out 1/16-1/8"... Still have to look & see if it's the shaft coming out or pulley since it's just pressed on... Maybe to much torque for stocker?

Sunday-Decide to sit out the speed stop squared event as i have a few issues & still have have to drive 300 miles home with oil leak, pinion angle off, & 5 rib belt... Pick up a couple extra belts for the road just in case!
      Get on the road around 1pm & drive home- no issues & only got 22mpg... Btw... I got all my gauges working while we were there- so i noticed on drive back that i was running 2500rpm @80mph... Way too high for my overdrive i'm supposed to have... Investigate a bit- make a phone call to American Powertrain- they sent me a CR tranny instead of the WR i ordered... Now they are sending me a new ring & pinion gear- went with a 3.5!

So that was how i broke in "Schism"! Not the preffered technique but it worked out all in all! I would say i got some bugs worked out...
      With everything i learned & fixed- i should be GTG for GG next month in Charlotte! Lol...

Everyone loved the car & it made it's first magazine debut into camaro performers with the lovely Kiki that the photographer snagged outta the crowd... Lol... Alot said it was their favorite car there which was a huge compliment! ;-) all that with no interior even in it yet- just two vette buckets & dynomat! Great time ;-)

Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

I can top that.......oh wait, no I can't. Lol. You forgot to mention the 12 inch wide, 50 feet long black marks you left on the road after dinner which were done while already moving 45mph and by merely smashing that pedal to the floor. Needless to say, that bitch is powerful.
      Brian Peacoe

68 Camaro Heidts Subframe and 4 link. 2015 LS3, T56.

Oh yeah... Sorta left that out for sheer stupidity reasons... Lol...
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Congrats on making RTTH8 Josh! That was no small task. Glad you got to meet quite a few of the faithful pro-touring RTTH crowd. They are all a great group of guys and gals and are always willing to help someone out. Your hard work is paying off. The car looks great. Good luck at GG.

KUSI

Kusi- it was very nice finally meeting you as well! You caught me off guard... Lol... Hope you got alot of ideas & pics for your project! Can't wait to see it!
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

I got a little work in today on the baby... Who needed some TLC after her break in thrashing...
      So today i removed the whole rear end as i have a new ring & pinion install this week due to running at 2500rpm on the hwy... I had a 3.89 in there & am going with a 3.50 now... Awaiting my install kit at this point but its ready to go.

Next i fixed my power steering pump issue... The pulley was being pulled off the shaft & had come out about an 1/8" chewing into my serp belt... Had to lower my rad to get the press to fit in...Pressed it back on & put a 1/8" bolt a washer into the shaft to keep the pulley from sliding back out! Not sure why GM doesn't do this- they told me no bolt goes in there- just pressed on???
      Put the new 6 rib belt on since i was down to 4... Lol...
      After that i cleaned up all the rubber belt spew from hood & everywhere else it sprayed... Lol..

Next i braced my CF hood where i had to trim it to fit around the whipple. Just ran a piece of 1" AL flat bar across it & bolted it in.

I also noticed where my rear tires were rubbing a little on the inside tubs where the extra pieces were sticking out below the welds- so i trimmed them up a little.
      Changed out my fluids on tranny & had to drain rear end before i pulled it- which reminds me... Don't ever use the auto parts store brand of gear oil- even for break in... This stuff seriously gelled up & came out like diarrhea... Clumped up very badly... Wouldn't even drain until i pulled the vent off... I put a small spectre vent on a hose & ran it up high to breathe my rear end since it was spewing on the track.
      I also got my II Much fuel vent in & installed it yesterday- very nice piece!
      Put some boot covers over a couple of my plug wires that were touching headers.

Gonna have my air intake tube & clamps powdercoated this week while im putting rear end back together. Hopefully this will be the perfect gearing for all around driving! We will see...
      Going to start on the interior next since hopefully i got most of the drivability bugs worked out...
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by diesel25lrs View Post
      So- as most of you know- i got the car on the road last weekend to head to Pigeon Forge for RTTHs 8!
      Here is how it went- enjoy...

So it went like this... I took a vacation week prior to leaving for TN on thursday-knowing this was the only way i could get the car on the road...
      All of the wknd prior, 0600-0300am every day- thrashing away... Tues night- setting alignment- realize the rack & pinion has **** the bed... Overnight new one from Sumitt..get it on weds...

Thursday morning comes & first thing, i get a sliver of metal in my left eye... It's killing me... Supposed to meet up with two other guys @1200 to drive out... Im working all morning with one eye & about to go to the hospital... 230 comes- hop in the shower with a bloody red eye & it feels better after the shower so i forgo the hospital & get on the road to meet up. Construction detour- back road... Hit first big dip- scrape the headers a little- first war wound... First time driving car ever- EVER- break in is on way to Pigeon Forge, TN-300miles each way.. I know- i know... Dumb idea... Lol...

Spring an oil leak on pan about half way there... Car runs smooth otherwise & i'm grinning ear to ear the whole drive! People are waiving at me & my buddy mike the whole time with thumbs up! He has a 69PT as well... Get into town & drop our stuff @ hotel- head to friends garage to put on lift so we can see what the leak is- oil pan gasket- no big deal...small leak

Friday morning-0630- tech inspection- im running way behind tryin to get a lap belt in(didn't have time prior to leaving-priorities...)- bolt hole cross threads- retap it- get seat belt in- start driving school rt away... Front & rear tires are rubbing in corners- stop driving @1000- work on car until 4... Raise ride heighth 2" all around, change camber from -1/4" to -1"... Suspension is good but now pinion angle is off a little- no one has a gauge- no biggie... Go to hosted dinner...
      BTW- the grand run is going on this wknd as well- thousands upon thousands of muscle cars & whatever you can imagine cars along Dolly Parton pkwy... Plus 500,000+ people...
      Traffic was insane... On way back from dinner, about .5 mile from hotel & sitting in stop & go traffic for 90 minutes- i hear a flap flap inside my hood... Pull over immediatly... Ac belt snapped & shredded, entangeling all around my crank pulley... 20 minutes later of cutting with a dull pocketknife borrowed from a local bystander- im back on the road... Make it next half mile- turn onto hotel street & out of no where- blueberries come into rearview... Old man pulls me over b/c he couldn't see my tailights... BTW- the strip is lit up like daytime...talk my way out of it & make it to hotel where my buds who have been waiting on me for an hour have a well needed cold one waiting... Lol...

Sat... 0600- realize my rear wheels aren't centered in wheel wells(almost all the way to back fender)- back to work-adjust torsion bars & center -go to track,do 4 laps... Spraying fuel now... Crawl under- tank venting is not working- overflowing...& my flex line to hardline compression fitting is now spraying rt beside muffler... Time to shut her down & go back to work...back to DSE tent-take off exhaust... Fix AN connector, test... Good... Lunch... Back to track- 7 laps before end of day shutdown. Car finally feels good- knocking a second or more off every lap! They wave us in-done...right when i was feeling good & starting to open her up a bit...4 seconds slower than vendor leaders...sorry- im a bit & know my car is capable! First time so i can't complain...
      Afterwards- i pop hood to see that my serp belt has been chewed a bit- 6 rib belt is now 5... Appears that the power steering pump pulley is the culprit & has moved out 1/16-1/8"... Still have to look & see if it's the shaft coming out or pulley since it's just pressed on... Maybe to much torque for stocker?

Sunday-Decide to sit out the speed stop squared event as i have a few issues & still have have to drive 300 miles home with oil leak, pinion angle off, & 5 rib belt... Pick up a couple extra belts for the road just in case!
      Get on the road around 1pm & drive home- no issues & only got 22mpg... Btw... I got all my gauges working while we were there- so i noticed on drive back that i was running 2500rpm @80mph... Way too high for my overdrive i'm supposed to have... Investigate a bit- make a phone call to American Powertrain- they sent me a CR tranny instead of the WR i ordered... Now they are sending me a new ring & pinion gear- went with a 3.5!

So that was how i broke in "Schism"! Not the preffered technique but it worked out all in all! I would say i got some bugs worked out...
      With everything i learned & fixed- i should be GTG for GG next month in Charlotte! Lol...

Everyone loved the car & it made it's first magazine debut into camaro performers with the lovely Kiki that the photographer snagged outta the crowd... Lol... Alot said it was their favorite car there which was a huge compliment! ;-) all that with no interior even in it yet- just two vette buckets & dynomat! Great time ;-)
      tits or tires buddy! gonna have problems, Not to bad though at least your driving yours, Looks like you drove the heck out of it awesome

tits or tires buddy! gonna have problems, Not to bad though at least your driving yours, Looks like you drove the heck out of it awesome[/QUOTE]

Lol... Travis i'm gonna have to steal that line! Yeah- it was a blast being there & just a great feeling to have it on the road- my first build & all...
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Sweet

Hey Josh,I got to seee your caar at RTTH, I was checking it out and KUSI was taking some picks and we started talking about it, really nice build you got going on there really liking the wheels and the whippple, I noticed something was eating on the belt when i was looking at it, glad you got it figured out, I'm leaning towards a whipple myself when I ge to that point, Is it practical for daily driveng, good street maners? and on longer trips?? any way I posted up on KUSI thred also, you going to the GGshow in Charlotte?? again really sweet build Thanks Keith

Josh,
      Just did the quick read on your build thread. Wow, lots of build in a short amount of time. Looked great this weekend at GG's Charlotte. Glad we were able to talk a little. I know Sam will really enjoy talking with you next time we see you at an event. Stay in touch,
      Tom

Hey Josh isn't it time to post some up to date pictures?? Just sayin!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Country Flag: Australia
      Uh.

Wow.

Congrats on getting her running and off to rtth

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstine View Post
      Hey Josh,I got to seee your caar at RTTH, I was checking it out and KUSI was taking some picks and we started talking about it, really nice build you got going on there really liking the wheels and the whippple, I noticed something was eating on the belt when i was looking at it, glad you got it figured out, I'm leaning towards a whipple myself when I ge to that point, Is it practical for daily driveng, good street maners? and on longer trips?? any way I posted up on KUSI thred also, you going to the GGshow in Charlotte?? again really sweet build Thanks Keith
      Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in almost a year now...I wasn't getting notifications on this thread anymore for some reasons and honestly haven't done a whole lot to the old girl lately but drive a little...I just got in from an overseas deployment and after helping my best friend a bit with his 67 shoebox nova LS3 conversion, it got me excited to get back on mine again!

Keith-Yeah, I went through 2 serp belts before I figured out I had to stick a bolt through my power steering pulley which GM says is just pressed on...I don't think it helped that when I did my highway burnout it snapped the ac belt and probably chunked my serp a bit... Yes- IMHO the whipple is great for daily driving, you don't really notice it until you get into the gas a little but it can make it touchy to say the least...just some getting used to driving around town is all. I did make it to Charlotte GG and hope to again this year! Was a little hairy after Tuck put TROUBLE into the wall on our first run... Thanks for the props-Hope to meet up with you at RTTH this year!
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Josh,
      Just did the quick read on your build thread. Wow, lots of build in a short amount of time. Looked great this weekend at GG's Charlotte. Glad we were able to talk a little. I know Sam will really enjoy talking with you next time we see you at an event. Stay in touch,
      Tom
      Hey Tom, Thanks for the brake info the other day! Was great meeting you finally and hope to see you guys some this summer!
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
      Hey Josh isn't it time to post some up to date pictures?? Just sayin!
      Here ya go Geoff!

So I finally got around to installing my MODO pedals-not at all hard, just took a little time to do...Probably woulda been faster to just pull the pedal assembly out and do it...Name:  modo.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  12.5 KB

I also fixed the driver side mirror that was cracked and replaced it with a new one...

fabbed up an clutch pedal stop bracket from a nice piece of lightweight thick aluminum I had laying around since I just put in a new master cylinder when I blew out my first one from over traveling the pushrod...
      Name:  clutchstop3.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  8.2 KBName:  clutchstop2.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  8.3 KBName:  clutchstop1.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  10.3 KB

This looks like it will do the trick! I'll try to get a better pic of it mounted later- had to run and throw the steaks on the grill before the wife ate me for dinner...

Dropping the car off this week to get a chromoly cage put in...should of done this from the beginning stages but who knew I was going to be bitten by the race bug
      My buddy Is doing it in the evenings so he said about a month... can't complain for the deal he is giving me! It will be off the get the interior finished off after that, nothing special, just need them mainly to cut down my rear GTO seats and make them look pretty. I will be working on my console in the meantime.

That's it for now, slow process...but time, money and the hectic traveling work schedule keep dragging it out...
      Standby for some major changes coming this fall...going to be nasty!
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Be sure to watch for the RTTH registration announcement!! It'll sell out FAST!

Man I can't type lately - fixed a typo
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Thanks Geoff- please drop me a line when you see it pop up!
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

clutch mount & TM shifter

Got the clutch stop mounted, works perfect & is adjustable! Also got my new Twist Machine shifter in today & installed- i love it already- perfect ergonomics with the different shims it comes with. My old 12"hurst was hitting my leg, wrong angle & just too long making shifts feel like forever... This TM stick is perfect length & beautiful to boot!
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by diesel25lrs View Post
      Got the clutch stop mounted, works perfect & is adjustable! Also got my new Twist Machine shifter in today & installed- i love it already- perfect ergonomics with the different shims it comes with. My old 12"hurst was hitting my leg, wrong angle & just too long making shifts feel like forever... This TM stick is perfect length & beautiful to boot!
      Looking good. Cant wait to see the cage installed.

And I feel you on the schedule, mine's finally calmed down to the point where I'm in town on a consistent basis. We need to do some cruising!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com