Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Newbie from Texas with a 1978 Trans Am

Hi guy's, my name is Mark. Like others, I found the site while searching for wheel ideas for my 1978 Trans Am. Info on my Trans Am. For right now, the suspension is mostly stock. We saved the car from it's dragracing day's and we are hoping to turn it into a nice street cruiser with great road manners. In other words, we want it to handle some curves. The current engine a .030 over Pontiac 400 that came with the car. It's a fully forged bottom end with a .550 lift solid roller, ported and polished heads, roller rockers, aluminum intake, MSD ignition and after market fuel system. My only planned changes for the engine are to pull the solid roller and go back with a hydraulic roller. Other changes were to pull out the ugly 3000 stall converter and replace it with a nice B&M 2400 stall converter. Then we replaced the race 3" exhaust pipes and 3" Flowmasters with a nice sounding 2.5" system and Magnaflow mufflers. We also swapped out the gears from 3.42's to 3.08's making it much easier to drive on long hauls. Our latest change was to have the car sprayed with SEM Hotrod Black. I plan to install the factory style Trans Am decals over the satin black paint. I think it will look pretty trick. Back to the wheels, everyone tells me to go with the 17" Snowflakes from Year One but I would like to try something different. Maybe something like Fikse's or CCW. Any other 2nd Gen Trans Am owners here please chime in and give me some ideas.

Thank You

The Pics

Before

After

Mark,

Welcome to the site! Love the satin black look for sure....... keep the pictures coming as the build progresses.

welcome aboard Mark! the T/A looks great!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Thanks for the welcome guy's. We went ahead and installed the Firechicken decals last night. I think they look great over the satin black paint. Will post better pics this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
      Thanks for the welcome guy's. We went ahead and installed the Firechicken decals last night. I think they look great over the satin black paint. Will post better pics this weekend.

That looks great, I love these Firebirds and yours looks MUCH better now.
      Tyler

Howdy,

Nice ride, really dig the satin finish! Moved from TX up to IL last year. Miss it bad!
      Jeff

'64 Buick Skylark Convertible, ZZ383
      700R4, 4 wheel discs, 3.73 Posi
      A/R Torque-thrusts & BFGs

Price wise u can't beat the 17s from year one I have them on my 79.
      I will be in Texarkana in May for the Bandit Run maybe u could get ideas there a bunch of other TAs will be there I'm sure.

WELCOME!! your car looks amazing. if you dont mind me asking, what wheels are you running?

Mark,

If your looking to upgrade the rear suspension, take a look at the Super Chevy install article done awhile back on our bolt-in Torque Arm rear suspension kit on a 2nd gen:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...arm/index.html

We also offer the kit with a Ford 9in. housing available in custom widths as well. Here is a great write up from a PT member here who owns a 73 Firebird:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...my-73-Firebird

We are developing a true coilover kit for your front subframe right now as well to complement our rear suspension.

The wheels on the car right now are A/R Torqlites. Jegs had a close out sale on them. Picked up some 17x7's for the front and 18x9's for the rear. Got all four wheels for $450.00. When I bought them they were for my Malibu wagon. Went with different wheels on the wagon so the Torqlites are on the T/A for now. Heck, these wheels have been around....lol. Also had them on my son's 1973 Camaro.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com