Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
      Might need a bigger wall when the El Camino gets done. Congratulations! Love seeing IA cars get press.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by RodZZilla View Post
      Might need a bigger wall when the El Camino gets done. Congratulations! Love seeing IA cars get press.
      Thanks.

In preparation for the USCA Daytona event the Monte Carlo is in for a little transformation. The installation of the wrap was videod for a segment on the Search for the Ultimate Street Car tv series. I wonder if we'll attract any attention in Daytona.

#3 Forever!
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Took the Monte Carlo to West Bend Dyno to get the required tune after replacing the FAST with the Factory GM. We gained 30 rwh and lots of top end drivability. Before power died at 5750 rpm. Now we get 426 @ 5500, then the convertor unlocks distorting the power, but we maintain over 410 through 6400 rpm. Now you touch the key and it starts, very smooth idle with no surging, no stalling on takeoff, and it just sounds crisper. Win win.

Now the bad news, half way through the test drive the trans lost 2 and 4th, burned up a band. So now, almost 3 weeks before USCA in Daytona, I am embarking on a T56 swap. I have most of the pieces purchased for the El Camino. Hopefully 10 days from now I'll be rowing gears. No, I'm not doing the swap myself. I'll be going out to Milwaukee to get the job done. I'm currently stripping the car of all the automatic pieces in preperation.

In a 24 hour period starting Saturday evening and ending Sunday evening the Monte was converted to a 6 speed manual. Overall the install went pretty smooth with only a few hiccups.

Jesse went through the trans and installed the needed upgrades to handle the upcoming abuse it will receive.

The clutch master is from Tick and mounted to a bracket by sickspeedmonte.com. It sandwiches between the brake master and firewall. Provides the same mounting position as a F body. Worked great and is silky smooth. I recommend this to any fellow G body builder. Now I need a second one for the El Camino.

We mocked up the trans and mark the floor board. The hole is big enough to remove the shifter easing remove of the transmission. Actually it was mandatory as we had about a 1/2" clearance to get proper alignment of the clutch and pilot bearing. Position in the floor was exactly where the factory automatic shifter was.

Some massaging of the left side the floor was needed to clear the reverse lockout.

The trans mount was cut and modified to fit. Looks right at home.

Back inside, an isolator form a F body was used to seal around the shifter.

The console was installed and a shifter/coin tray was cut to clear the B&M shifter. Then a boot was set in. Turned out super clean and factory looking.

How does it run? Between the GM pcm, the new tune, and the manual, this car is a new animal.
      Everything is so much more responsive. It pulls forever. Sure wish I had done this from the start.

Thanks Jesse for all your expertise. I'm pretty confident now I can pull this of in the El Camino.

Want to see it in action, come to Daytona for the USCA event Memorial Day Weekend. It is going to be awesome.

I know I've said this to you befor eDan, but you are going to love this swap... It makes it seem like a completely different car.

Congrats and we'll see you in a week or so.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Went for a 30 mile drive today. Got the speedometer calibrated and just enjoyed the sounds. This car just keeps getting better. Given some seat time it will be much improved on the track, and it wasn't bad before.

With the 350 gear it turns 1400 rpm @ 60 mph in 6th gear.

Now to button up some loose ends and change the oil. May hit a local autocross on Sunday to get some seat time and break in the Rivals. Work and preparations for Daytona my get in the way though.

Just wait until you get really smooth with the clutch and shifting and it just becomes effortless to just slip the car through it's gears...It only keeps getting better.

I'll skip gears all the time, going up or down...there is so much range with a T56. I'm actually getting to where I love just cruising around in it as much if not more so than taking it out and beating on it.
      Lance

All the odds and ends are complete. Reverse lights work and I finally mounted the switches for the Dakota Digital VHX gauges so I could reach them and not bidding in the glove box. The new white Hurst shifter ball looks perfect. Now for and oil change and we are set for Daytona.

First autox yesterday for the T56, GM PCM, new tune, and BFG Rivals. It is way better in every aspect. Now I need to relean how to drive it.

USCA Daytona is this weekend and I can't wait to partake in the fun.

Nice! Daytona should be a blast......do you have a go pro? That would be awesome to have in car video laps @ Daytona with a GoPro.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      Nice! Daytona should be a blast......do you have a go pro? That would be awesome to have in car video laps @ Daytona with a GoPro.
      GoPro is a go.

Told ya!! When are you heading South? We'll see you on Saturday for sure.
      Lance

Leaving Wednesday late afternoon. Need to be in Daytona Thursday by 6pm for some video with the production company. Still don't know what it's al about but been told it will be very cool.

Congratulations!

Any updates?

Any updates?

Well I guess I never did update.

Daytona was the event of a lifetime. The production company brought Kerry Earnhardt down and I got to spend over an hour with him. He LOVED the Monte and even took it for a quick spin.

Running on the track was an experience I hope to repeat annually. To have a chance to drive my car that my son and I built in a barn is beyond belief. Thanks USCA.

I hit 149 mph on three different sessions according to the speedo recall. Fast enough for a car without a cage and a loose nut behind the wheel. It never felt over the edge.

I ended up receiving the Spirit of the Event award so for the second time in 3 years the Monte will participate at OUSCI and be displayed at SEMA. Couldn't be happier.

Here's one of the later sessions

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjR-...e_gdata_player

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com