Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Dynamat Extreme vs. Second Skin Damplifier-Pro

I am currently finishing my build, and wish to add sound/vibration dampening to my first gen coupe. I am considering either Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro. It is my understanding that they are comparable products (although damplifier has slightly thicker foil).

Dynamat Extreme pricing (best I could find):
      Cut to size Door kit: XGMF1D: $139 (from Autoplicity.com)
      Cut to size Floor kit: XGMF1F: $250 (from Autoplicity.com)
      Cut to size Under rear seat kit: XGMF1U: $150 (from Summit or Jegs)
      Cut to size Trunk/qtrs kit: XGMF1T: $116 (from Autoplicity.com)

Total of $655.00 (I did not include the Trunk lid, pkg tray, or roof at this time)

Or, it's my understanding that I could do all of the above with (3) of their Dynamat extreme kits which contain 36 sqft each running $137 ea x 3 = $411 (on Amazon)

The other option would be to go with Second Skin Damplifier Pro:

I was told that their Shop kit would cover the doors/cab/trunk floor for a 1st gen with 80 sqft @ $350. (it may be cheaper, but I have not found where)

Any suggestions given the information above? Or perhaps I am not correct on pricing or the direct comparison between Dynamat Extreme and Damplifier Pro? I would prefer purchasing from Second Skin because they are a smaller company, and have provided unbiased opinions and good/informative posts on Pro-touring.

Thank you for your help!
      Best Regards,
      Bobby
      -67 Camaro in process: Speedtech Track Time Pkg (AFX Spindles, C5 Zo6 brakes, rack, rear torque arm, 9", Ride Tech coils, and a L92/6L80e Swap).

-2005 Jeep Rubicon Limited LJ, 35"er's, 6" Nth Degree Lift, Hanson Bumpers, 8274 Winch, with a Redbone Coonhound in the backseat.

Country Flag: United States
      i personally like fatmat its way cheaper and you achieve almost identical results without the cost of dynamat i've used it in my past 2 vehicles and loved it just ordered some for my nova also

i use the fatmat rattle trap you can usually find it on amazon for about $90-100 for 50 sq ft...

for what you are paying for dynamat you can get almost 200 sqft of fatmat rattle trap lol

rattle trap is their top of the line too theres thinner cheaper ones that work pretty well too
      -Blake
      yellow 72 nova in San Diego

Consider the amount of weight you are going to add, it is very easy to add 80+ lbs if you are not careful on your selection.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

I used damplifier pro and damplifier lite and it works great for stopping the heat and vibration. I have it uncovered and it is holding up well. if it cost less that's a big plus. Also there is no asphalt type smell and I have tested it with a flame and it is very hard to ignite which makes me feel more comfortable in case of an interior fire.

It is easy to buy direct and you will have it in 3 days with standard shipping from my experience.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Does anyone have experience with edead?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24

Also curious how much sq footage is required to do a 1gen Camaro.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by blakes72 View Post
      i personally like fatmat its way cheaper and you achieve almost identical results without the cost of dynamat i've used it in my past 2 vehicles and loved it just ordered some for my nova also

i use the fatmat rattle trap you can usually find it on amazon for about $90-100 for 50 sq ft...

for what you are paying for dynamat you can get almost 200 sqft of fatmat rattle trap lol

rattle trap is their top of the line too theres thinner cheaper ones that work pretty well too
      Fatmat is roofing paper with a logo. The owner of the company owns a roofing distribution supply and sells roofing tape as "fat mat" They are NOT the same product which is why dynamat costs more. Dynamat is Butyl and aluminum. FatMat is asphalt based (hence the cheap price)
      Id say Dynamat extreme all the way.

FYI:
      http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...hts-on-fatmat/
      John S.

68 "Bloodline" Camaro in assembly...

Speedtech Sub, Alston G-Billet/Fab 9 rear, Ridetech coil overs, Moser axles, Fesler 19's, Lots of Anvil parts,Twin tubo LS3/T56, Carbon fiber manifold, and the list goes on and on..........

Quote Originally Posted by John510 View Post
      Fatmat is roofing paper with a logo. The owner of the company owns a roofing distribution supply and sells roofing tape as "fat mat" They are NOT the same product which is why dynamat costs more. Dynamat is Butyl and aluminum. FatMat is asphalt based (hence the cheap price)
      Id say Dynamat extreme all the way.

FYI:
      http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...hts-on-fatmat/
      fatmat did not used to be asphault based btw guess the stuff i bought was old stock cause it did not have their blue logo nor was it asphault based it used to be advertised as butyl based, your thread says when the new owner bought it he changed it.... i've used peel and seal before and it is definately asphault you can tell by the smell but the fatmat i had used previously had no asphault smell or characteristics whatsoever and it held up great to the heat and humidity of a few summers in georgia before the car was totaled...guess ill have to see what the new stuff looks like when i get it if it's asphault based i'm going to return it asap

thanks for bringing that to my attention
      -Blake
      yellow 72 nova in San Diego

Thanks for the input! I just got my Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro yesterday!
      Bobby
      -67 Camaro in process: Speedtech Track Time Pkg (AFX Spindles, C5 Zo6 brakes, rack, rear torque arm, 9", Ride Tech coils, and a L92/6L80e Swap).

-2005 Jeep Rubicon Limited LJ, 35"er's, 6" Nth Degree Lift, Hanson Bumpers, 8274 Winch, with a Redbone Coonhound in the backseat.

I used Lizard Skin. Coated everything inside and underneath. I was extremely satisfied with the results as far as looks and performance on closed tests (bang on metal!lol) I did alot of research and finally talked to alot of people and was comfortable going this way. It ran $700 for the kit but that was enough for EVERYTHING! you would probably on need half. I know you already got yours but just thought this would be a good tip for people hunting for info. It is a two stage application. the first being a ceramic based heat barrier and the second a sound deadener. The thickness and weight is less as well.
      project 72 chevelle rs1

Used to be known as streetmetal

One thing to keep in mind is the different levels of sound deadening. There is vibration damping, then noise reduction. It has been shown that you only need a 25% coverage on metal to dampen vibrations, so the concept of layering every square in is just a waste of money as far as vibration goes.

I'm currently putting in products from sounddeadenershowdown.com in my truck. Don (the owner) takes a different approach and actually works up a list of materials based on your specific vehicle. I told him what I thought I needed and he actually changed it up quite a bit based on what I said I wanted the end result to be. The price was almost exactly the same as my estimate, within $10 if I recall. His stuff is most known in the DIY car audio community.

For my cab, an 87 Chevy, the full deal was about $600 shipped. He also gave me detailed instructions on what to put where and how to do it, especially in the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by zipsimons View Post

I used Lizard Skin. Coated everything inside and underneath. I was extremely satisfied with the results as far as looks and performance on closed tests (bang on metal!lol) I did alot of research and finally talked to alot of people and was comfortable going this way. It ran $700 for the kit but that was enough for EVERYTHING! you would probably on need half. I know you already got yours but just thought this would be a good tip for people hunting for info. It is a two stage application. the first being a ceramic based heat barrier and the second a sound deadener. The thickness and weight is less as well.
      This is good info, I am looking to buy lizard skin for my Monte project this week. Is there any site sponsors / venders that sell it?

Thanks again.

i researched each product to death at the time 2 years ago and went with 2nd skin damplifier pro. I would also agree that its not needed to cover every square inch. I found that I still a lot of heat comming through my floor so If I ever need to pull up the carpet I would have put down a heat barrirer.

Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com