Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

RTTA Lessons Learned

Any good feedback/problems or issues with the new rules at RTTA? Didn't hear much so I'm guessing there were little to no surprises. Any tips so no one gets blindsided?

Either everyone had the equipment to run in the "full out" group or they let them slide because there werent 80 + cars out there to run.
      It was a road course only event and after a couple lead + follow sessions, it became a "point by, pass on the straight" event. (except for one guy who seemed to really like passing in the tighest turns on the track).
      My only experience on a road course before this was RTTC2, so it was an education for me. With one of the slower cars at the event, I found myself constantly looking back and just trying to stay out of the way of the others. (The DSE peeps were really awesome and never tried to run me over, thanks, you guys rock).
      You basically went out whenever and came back in as you wanted, or to gas up, in some cases. I don't think anyone felt cheated on seat time that's for sure.
      The only way it could have been better is if the weather had been good, which of course is not something ASCS had any control over.
      All in all, had a great time but wonder how the new rules will work at an event with a full field, like RTTC3 in a couple weeks.
      Valerie Pichette

1988 GTA LS3 (418 stroker)/ T56 - "DragonLady GTA"

Country Flag: Canada
      I don't know if anything has changed with El Toro - and based on the most recent rental agreement I saw I doubt that it has - but the El Toro facility operators have an absolute zero tolerence policy on passing... period. They even have the right to observe the event and if they observe anyone passing on the road course they have the ability to shut the event down. That being said, Bill's event - Bill's rules so I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Man that sounds more like the typical open track day with 20 minute sessions.... interesting.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
      Either everyone had the equipment to run in the "full out" group or they let them slide because there werent 80 + cars out there to run.
      It was a road course only event and after a couple lead + follow sessions, it became a "point by, pass on the straight" event. (except for one guy who seemed to really like passing in the tighest turns on the track).
      My only experience on a road course before this was RTTC2, so it was an education for me. With one of the slower cars at the event, I found myself constantly looking back and just trying to stay out of the way of the others. (The DSE peeps were really awesome and never tried to run me over, thanks, you guys rock).
      You basically went out whenever and came back in as you wanted, or to gas up, in some cases. I don't think anyone felt cheated on seat time that's for sure.
      The only way it could have been better is if the weather had been good, which of course is not something ASCS had any control over.
      All in all, had a great time but wonder how the new rules will work at an event with a full field, like RTTC3 in a couple weeks.

We will assess the conditions at every event and determine if we need to enforce the class break. There are several factors with the main one being the amount of trouble one can get into on that particular track. For instance if there are hard barriers/walls to hit at high speed where correct and accurate breaking is required then we will want to slow the cars down that do not have the required equipment. At the RTTA event the speeds were so low due to the wet conditions it was not necessary to slow anyone down.
      Brian Finch
      Pro-touring Hero

The Proof is on the Pavement

Sponsored by Baer Brakes, JRI Shocks, Pennzoil, Tremec, Magnaflow, Centerforce, AFCO Racing, Kurt Urban Performance, Amercian Powertrain, Forgeline, Holley, and of course BFG.

For the best engine money can buy please visit http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/

Authorized dealer for Baer, Ridetech, Detroit Speed, Vintage Air, Motorstate Distributing, Wilwood Engineering, American Autowire, Forgeline, Holley, Afco,

Contact brian@finchperformance for special Pro-Touring.com member pricing

www.hotrodtransformations.com

I learned that even if you win, you don't get an optima invite.

I think that its a joke that you can beat the field by a MASSIVE amount, and not get the invite.

So how did this change come about? The guy that won didn't suck up to Bill Howell enough, so this new rule comes out of thin air?

Greg Davidson won, period. He deserves the invite, period. Theres no gray area in this one.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

James,

I don't think Bll Howell chose who got the invite. There's new criteria in place for this invite now.

Mary P.
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Quote Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
      James,

I don't think Bll Howell chose who got the invite. There's new criteria in place for this invite now.

Mary P.
      In that case I apologize to him, its not him I guess. So optima made this up? Where and when did any of this come about?
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

James I just received a phone call from Jimi Day regarding this posting.... He is aware of the thread and asked me to notify you that the optima board outlines the process/criteria of selection to an event operator... The board does and will make all rules that relate to how optima qualifiers are presented and offered... Jimi further stated he would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have directly himself...
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      I learned that even if you win, you don't get an optima invite.

I think that its a joke that you can beat the field by a MASSIVE amount, and not get the invite.

So how did this change come about? The guy that won didn't suck up to Bill Howell enough, so this new rule comes out of thin air?

Greg Davidson won, period. He deserves the invite, period. Theres no gray area in this one.
      James,
      Since you have called me out on this, I have to do the same, except mine will be with facts, not BS!
      1. You were not at the track so obviously don't know that the only good track time was the last 30 minute session. It rained all day and the dry track late in the day changed everyone's times by about 5 or 6 seconds.
      2. I was so impressed with Greg and his car that I had picked him to recieve the ridetech Renegade Award, even before the rain stopped.
      3. ASCS has two OUSCI Qualifiers this year out of our 7 events. OUSCI is an Invitational event and they set the rules on who is invited. Promoters like myself that have qualifiers simply go by those rules to pick that event's invitees.
      4. With OUSCI growing yearly, picking the right 50 cars is getting harder and harder to do out of 1000's that want to participate. I don't envy the guys that have to make those rules. For you to insinuate that I dreamed up a new rule off the cuff to keep someone out is asinine.
      5. Producing these events is no cakewalk and we certainly are not doing it for the money. We started doing them so like minded people could get together and have fun. Do we make mistakes? Of course we do, we are learning just like everyone else as to how to do events of this kind since they are unique from any other event out there. One thing I have learned is I can not make everyone happy and you are obviously on that list even though you didn't even attend RTTA.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

I was not happy with RTTC2, but it had potential. The problem I have is your complete lack of desire to make the event better for next year. I did apologize in the post above that I now realize it wasn't you, im not afraid to admit that I was wrong in being a *******.

So where is the criteria for the OUSCI invite? I imagine its not published? I just think that the winner should get the invite, there shouldn't be a surprise at the end, and I know I'm not alone on this.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

This just in...
      http://powersource.optimabatteries.c...-invitational/

When the final results were tabulated from the Run To The Alamo qualifying event for the 2012 optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational, the top-5 finishers eligible for the 2012 OUSCI Fan Favorite voting were Greg Davidson, Mike Yale, Tom Farrington, Terry Neuville and Paul Wilke.

optima wanted to give fans the opportunity to help select the field for the 2012 OUSCI and asked on Facebook which of those five finishers was their favorite. Unfortunately, irregularities began to appear in the voting and concerns were raised about the voting process itself.

Since there was no way to determine which votes were questionable, the race committee felt the most-equitable outcome for all involved was to revert to the finishing order from the event itself and award the invitation to Greg Davidson, who posted the fastest lap time at the event with a 1:46.4 run.
      Scott Shanks
      70 Challenger 6.1 Hemi 6-Speed

James the last time I looked you haven't done a dam thing for the community to host an event or otherwise improve the community at large.... You made a demeaning cutting & inflammatory statement about one of the community leaders that has in fact hosted events for all our benefits, moderated this board, and made a positive difference in the community....

optima has also made a difference in hosting and sponsoring events BTW.... They, as recently as this morning indirectly offered through there marketing arm of Jimi Day to answer your questions personally,,, and yet again here you are standing on your soap box preaching/typing away........

Personally I'll state that you should step back from the keyboard, read, and shut the **** up until you're informed... You've done nothing to improve this community yourself and further more are making an ass out of yourself....
      Last edited by tazzz25906112; 02-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      I was not happy with RTTC2, but it had potential. The problem I have is your complete lack of desire to make the event better for next year. I did apologize in the post above that I now realize it wasn't you, im not afraid to admit that I was wrong in being a *******.

So where is the criteria for the OUSCI invite? I imagine its not published? I just think that the winner should get the invite, there shouldn't be a surprise at the end, and I know I'm not alone on this.
      James, you bring up good questions sometimes I'll admit... but you certainly have the tact and acumen of an 8 year old.

Of course not everyone is going to always agree with how this is done and that is done, but Jeez Man.... show some respect for the guys bustin their butts to bring fun to everyone in this little niche of a sport.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

WOW!!,I am glad I don't promote these event's.I have atended the RTT event's.Ton's of fun,Lot's of great folk's,And Albert's Alway's Cook's up some awesome Food.Getting an optima invite is a FREE bonus.

We put on two small track days each year. It's a ton of work. I had a blast at RTTC II, and we'll see you there this year. I had my guys help out last year, and they had a blast too. Bill and his crew are doing a great thing for our hobby (it is a hobby after all). As for optima, the OUSCA is a marketing tool. I really wanted to go again last year, and with the strongest truck in GoodGuys by far, thought that was enough. - but, silver doesn't photo well, and rules are rules (I didn't change the look enough), so, no invite. So, I went out and watched and helped. Had a great day. Sometimes I need to remind my clients about a simple rule of Hot-Rodding, - If this isn't fun for you, go fishing or something else. Life is to short.

I just wanted to add my .02 to this discussion, I have been running events since the mid 60's,
      they have included racing Formula Atlantic, running time trials, hill climbs, autox and
      even a car show or two. In the early days I used to run as many as three autox's on one Sunday
      because there were dozens of clubs and many places to run. Think about it, these days you might
      to be able to run one autox a month and that usually involves a long drive. The series of events
      associated with the Protouring groups are terrific compared to anything else I have run. They
      are fun, safe and most of all well run. I have chaired a number of small events over the years
      and it was a pain to do, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to run an event like RTTH
      or any of the other RTT events. I am entered in RTTC3 with the wrong tires so my runs won't
      count. I am coming because the event is a blast to run. We are lucky to have people willing to
      sacrifice the time and energy to put these events on in the first place. Any other reward, like
      a trip to the optima in Pahrump is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by thedodgeboys View Post
      This just in...
      http://powersource.optimabatteries.c...-invitational/

When the final results were tabulated from the Run To The Alamo qualifying event for the 2012 optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational, the top-5 finishers eligible for the 2012 OUSCI Fan Favorite voting were Greg Davidson, Mike Yale, Tom Farrington, Terry Neuville and Paul Wilke.

optima wanted to give fans the opportunity to help select the field for the 2012 OUSCI and asked on Facebook which of those five finishers was their favorite. Unfortunately, irregularities began to appear in the voting and concerns were raised about the voting process itself.

Since there was no way to determine which votes were questionable, the race committee felt the most-equitable outcome for all involved was to revert to the finishing order from the event itself and award the invitation to Greg Davidson, who posted the fastest lap time at the event with a 1:46.4 run.
      I saw this too when I checked the voting results to see if Tom won with his Chevelle. Anyone know how the results got to be questionable? Does this mean that we won't have a fan vote for future events?

Kerry
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

I might be able to answer that one. If you have access to Internet via a cell phone, iPad, several computers, a work computer ... one person can vote a bunch of times. That's the only issue I could see here.

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra 498 View Post
      I just wanted to add my .02 to this discussion, I have been running events since the mid 60's,
      they have included racing Formula Atlantic, running time trials, hill climbs, autox and
      even a car show or two. In the early days I used to run as many as three autox's on one Sunday
      because there were dozens of clubs and many places to run. Think about it, these days you might
      to be able to run one autox a month and that usually involves a long drive. The series of events
      associated with the Protouring groups are terrific compared to anything else I have run. They
      are fun, safe and most of all well run. I have chaired a number of small events over the years
      and it was a pain to do, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to run an event like RTTH
      or any of the other RTT events. I am entered in RTTC3 with the wrong tires so my runs won't
      count. I am coming because the event is a blast to run. We are lucky to have people willing to
      sacrifice the time and energy to put these events on in the first place. Any other reward, like
      a trip to the optima in Pahrump is just icing on the cake.
      Oh man, Bruce ... I remember those days where we drove our cars to the event, changed tires, ran our runs, changed tires again, and then drove to the next event to do the same thing all over again, and then again. We schlepped a jack, tools, four competition tires, and God know what else, inside a 240Z and probably logged 350+ miles of windshield time in between autocrossing.

Now it's trailers, toterhomes, and luxury compared to what we had to deal with 35 years or so ago. Glad you're coming down to Irvine and talk soon. These guys nowadays have got it easy by comparison. Plus, the cars they compete with are so much better, too.

Mary Pozzi

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com