Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Has Anyone tried the New Rossler Transmission "little Black Box" ????

"PATENT PENDING Ross-LockTM HYBRID MANUAL VALVE BODY"
      "THE LITTLE BLACK BOX"
      Name:  hybred.jpg
Views: 12958
Size:  142.4 KB
      Using Plug and Play Technology Convert any Gm Computer Controlled Electronic Transmission into a full Manual Shift Transmission Without Having to Remove the Pan or Valve body.
      Looking for some feed back on this item, looks like a awsome way to run that 4l80e sitting in my garage without all the hassle of the compu-tech or various other transmission controllers.

Country Flag: United States
      Seems like a good deal if its just that simple a conversion. I'd be interested to hear wbout it before I pull the trigger in the EZ TCU or OptiShift
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Looks like www.Jakesperformance.com makes one too. After reading & checking the several forums these black boxes just plug & play with no additional modifications. You have to wire up a switch to lock up the convertor. So I will be ordering one after I have a conversation with Jake & Rossler on Monday. I will keep ya updated

What a shame to give the 4L80E a frontal lobotomy. This is a great product. It lets you temporarily convert your 4L80E to true manual valve body without permanently eliminating electronic control. But that's all it does. It makes sense for a pro street car, where you pull out of your garage, do a monster burn-out in front of your house, and then put the car away.
      For a pro-touring car however, where multi-purpose functionality is king, nothing beats a comprehensive E trans calibration. Your transmission can have multiple personalities all controlled by your right foot. 29% throttle angle can be radically different than 30% throttle angle (not that a calibration should be designed that way, but it can). Computer control is the best part of the 4L80E. Computer control is what makes that particular transmission pro-touring.

During a recent visit to a very prominent transmission builder (and I do mean PROMINENT) trans shop, I spied FIVE LARGE white-boards with job orders. Out of 50 plus jobs spread across these boards--all transmissions for hot rods--only four were E-transmissions. Everything else was a TH350, 2004R or 700R4. Needless to say, I was a little bummed.
      There is a comprehensive wiki page here that reminds us that these transmissions are antiquated. If the 2004R was introduced in 1980, it must have been engineered back in the 70's -- when Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both still living in their mom's basements watching Soul Train. The 700R4 hasn't been in production for 20 years. It's a shame to go backwards with the 4L80E.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic

I fully appreciate that electronic transmission control is not cheap. The value provided by that expense is real. There are clear differences between a 2004R, a manual valve body 4L80E, a budget trans controller and a full featured trans controller. I'll be happy to break it down if anyone wants.

I couldn't agree more with you, I love the idea of having a paddle shift and or the functionality of the controller attached to the 4l80e. I talked to several transmission builders here in California only to be shot down & told not to waste my time or money on a 4l80e. I even had one guy yell at me for disagreeing with him on the direction I wanted to go with the 4l80e.
      The little black box looks like a viable option to keeping my project on target & the car useable while I do my research on the different controllers available. I would enjoy talking in depth about setting up my 4l80e, making the transmission work the way I want it to behind the power my motor setup I had decided to run.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Steve is the man when it comes to e-trannies and support. I've run the 4L80e, it's a great transmission and you'll be very happy to go down that road. You'll forget the addittional cost quickly once you drive it.

I have the entire set up; 4L80e, TCM, paddle shifter now waiting to be installed in the 68 Vette Roadster I'm building up.

Thanks Rene'!!!

Let me say first that you don't NEED a paddle shifter up front. It can be added at any time. Let me also say that our paddle shifter works with all of the main trans controllers. We're the only paddle shifter company that can make that claim. As such, we're happy to steer you in the right TCM direction.
      Rossler make great transmissions and their Little Black Box is a fine product as long as you realize that each and every upshift and downshift must be applied manually -- Not very pro-touring and not very smart for a car that sees regular use.

You mentioned "hassle of trans control". I deal with this all the time totally understand that concern. Most people correlate trans control with EFI. Trans control is extremely simple. Especially if you work with the right source. Some companies are better at tech support than others.
      Hope that helps
      /Steevo

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com