Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Hillclimb event proposal needs support! Waumandee, Wisconsin

See below... local hillclimb event needs some support from responsible people who might be interested in attending.

I have done one of the MAHC events, and they are very fun. Definitely plan on doing this one too if it goes through.

A message from Tom Hazen:

I need people to speak up for local motorsports! Have you enjoyed the Healey Hillclimb at Afton Alps? How about the Amery Airport Autocross and Straight-Away Speed Run? Through the Minnesota Austin-Healey Club, I’m developing an additional hillclimb event on a beautiful country road near the small town of Waumandee, Wisconsin. The road climbs up 400 vertical feet of wooded hillside and is two twisty miles long. If you have Google Earth installed you can run the attached .kmz file for a bird’s eye view of the course, or check out this clip on YouTube: http://youtu.be/rk1H1Lns3hA I would set up the course with cone chicane esses to keep speeds down, and yes, I did have someone at the top of the hill stopping traffic (there wasn’t any).

This Saturday, February 11th at 10:00am I will present a proposal to the Waumandee Town Board requesting their approval for this event. One member of that board is the sheriff of Buffalo County, and so far he’s not in favor of our hillclimb. We need to show the sheriff what a great group of safe, responsible, and trustworthy people we are. To increase our chances of getting this approved by the local authorities, entrants for this inaugural hillclimb will be limited to vintage (1979 or older) cars. Nothing against the modern car drivers, but vintage cars are simply less intimidating than modern high-performance machines in the minds of the powers that be.

Please join us at the fire station in Waumandee, WI this Saturday morning at 10am. It’s a beautiful two-hour drive from the Cities. At the southeast corner of 494, take Hwys 10 and 61 south and east out of the Twin Cities. Turn left to stay on 10 East, heading toward Prescott. Cross over the drawbridge in Prescott and turn right onto Wisconsin Hwy 35 South. Pass through Diamond Bluff, cross Hwy 63, go through Bay City, Maiden Rock, Stockholm, and Pepin. In Nelson turn left to stay on Hwy 35. Arriving in Alma, take a left up the hill onto County E. Stay on E through Cream by taking a right onto Hwy 88, then a left off of 88 to stay on County E. Stay straight on County U into the town of Waumandee. The fire station is a white building with rescue insignias on the east side of the road. You can’t miss it.

Carpools and caravan: Meet at 7:30am at the Rainbow Foods in Cottage Grove, 7282 S. East Point Douglas Road. Take Hwys 10 and 61 southeast past 494, exit on 80thStreet and turn left, over the highway then right onto East Point Douglas Road. Rainbow will be on your left. The group will head for Waumandee at 7:45am. After the board meeting we can visit the hillclimb site then have lunch in Alma.
      If you are unable to join us in person, you can still help by writing a short letter of support and sending it to me via email by this Friday evening. Put yourself in the mind of a skeptical sheriff. What would he like to hear? That we’re a safe and responsible group of people, that we have a history of running safe events, it’s up to you. If you decide to write, please include your full name and mailing address so it looks official.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 612-237-1883 or e-mail[email protected]

This can be forwarded to anyone you think might be interested.

Your humble event master,

- Tom Hazen

Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com