Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Bill from Texas

Country Flag: United States

Bill from Texas

Hello all,
      My name is Bill and I'm an...sorry, wrong forum. I work for the Border Patrol and am currently in El Paso. I build Mustangs, and have built several that fit the site's definition of pro-touring. The current project is an 86 vert, with is in shell mode at the moment for some welding. I have a 99 Cobra parts car that has a bent frame. I am using dang near everything but the back seat out of the Cobra on the vert. Right now what I have is a shell and a really big pile of parts. I used to own Atlantic Coast Mustang, so I have to skills to do most of what I'm planning. I've never been a trim guy, so I'm going to develop some of those skills as I put the Cobra dash in the 4 Eyed Fox. As far as the mechanical, it is mostly time consuming and cumbersome, not technically difficult. I am adding all of the power options and will have functional HVAC, etc. I haven稚 decided if I知 going to fight with the air bags or not. The car will be black and silver throughout and under the hood, so I知 using color very sparingly. The interior in the Cobra is black leather. The car was silver from the factory and will be again when I知 done. I知 using black and fabricated aluminum parts under the hood. I actually found the site while looking at wide body kits, as that is the plan for the body. That should be enough details for now. I値l post up more later.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Call me Bill, everybody does. I build Mustangs. The 85-86 are my favorite from a visual perspective. Current toys: 86 Lx Vert, 97 GT Vert, 98 GT, 99 Cobra, and the grocery getter.

Some details about the car...
      The front end is a D&D roadrace k-member with a Kenny Brown four point brace, Kenny Brown Strut tower brace, Kenny Brown sport springs all around (designed for the 99 Cobra Convertible), Steeda offset control arm bushings, Kenny Brown SCCA caster plus kit, Cobra power rack, Cobra ABS brakes, Tokico D-specs and Cobra sway bar. The rear end is mostly factory 99 Cobra with some bushing and mounting upgrades and D-specs in the back as well. I used a FIT system from Inovative Performance, so full length subframes, full length jacking rails and web bracing. I haven't settled on tires and wheels yet, as I haven't got the wide body kit on yet. The engine/transmission are stock out of my 99 Cobra donor car, with a few minor upgrades. I used a Steeda Ultra-cool radiator and Taurus 2-speed fan with custom mounts. The interior is still gutted, but will be getting the dash, console, seats, HVAC, radio, column and door skins from the Cobra. I still have a couple of parts to round up before I'm ready to start on the interior, as I want all the power options to work properly. I still have some welding to do and a bit of fabrication to make the seat belts work properly, tranny cross member to seat right, etc. If all goes well, I'll have it on the road by the end of summer. It is primarily a touring car that will see road trips, Hot Rod Power Tour/Mustangs Across America type events and the occassional autocross. I have been enjoying some of the how-I-did -that articles on here, as my skills are weak in the trim deparment, so the interior will be a challenge. For me, the suspension, engine/transmission, and chassis stuff is the easy part and the part I have always enjoyed. This will be the first car I've ever built that wasn't for someone else. The last vert I built, I will eventually get back as it was for my father-in-law, who doesn't drive much anymore. I anticipate this one being very much over built for what I plan to do with it, but I hate to not do a complete build. I welcome comments, suggestions opinions good and bad. I don't have thin skin, so tell me what you think. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
      Call me Bill, everybody does. I build Mustangs. The 85-86 are my favorite from a visual perspective. Current toys: 86 Lx Vert, 97 GT Vert, 98 GT, 99 Cobra, and the grocery getter.

Rear half interior:
      Ihave most of the parts to upgrade the 86 to the 92/93 spec rear interior, including the black seat belts with sholder straps. I'm considering selling that stuff and using the interior out of a new edge (99-04) Mustang convertible, so they match the black leather I'm using from the front half of the 99 Cobra. I would love to hear from anyone that has done this kind of swap.

Holly thread resurrection. I haven't seen that convertible in a very long time.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com