Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Annodize or not?

This will be my first aluminum radiator and I have some choices for finish. In addition to a natural finish with a scoth brite dullness, Mark 7 offers an anodized coating option for new radiators. I am on the fence with this one. If I anodize it, I was considering either black or clear. Any future repairs would mess up the anodizing but the coating would mean almost no maintenance.. Although I do not want more work cleaning and detailing I wonder if the simplicity of an uncoated radiator would be better. Car is pretty much total resto mod now with polished aluminum valve covers, air cleaner, hydra boost, injection,etc. but I am wondering if a bare aluminum radiator adds too much brightness to a black engine compartment. thoughts?

Country Flag: United States
      Bare aluminum like the Ron Davis I have looks great and has no maintenance. I have had it going since 7/07 and looks like new still.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

Most andodizing is easy to scratch...that would be my only concern with it. That, and if you spend lots of time with your hood up (at car shows, for example) anodizing tends to fade in diect sunlight.
      Joe Hinds

Anodized surfaces are better at heat loss due to radiation than a polished or brushed surface.

I'd just leave it natural aluminum, they don't require any maintenance and still look great.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com