Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Hydroboost install without power steering....

I thought I would post a couple of pic's of my Hydratech Hydroboost install without power steering. I am really happy with the way my car steers with a manual rack but wanted power brakes. Not enough vacuum to run a booster.

I installed my Hydroboost a little higher that it normally would be installed for V/C clearance
      Name:  IMG_0836.jpg
Views: 14263
Size:  236.7 KB

Jim at Hydratech told me about using a PSC remote resevoir made for Hydroboost. It made the installation much easier. I also used one of KRC's new pro-series pumps and dropped it down to 1.7GPM. I like the way I can easily swap flow valves if needed. I am waiting on KRC to manufacture some lower pressure reliefs for the new pumps once they get caught up. Right now the pump vents at 1600, I want to drop it down to 1200 psi.
      Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 11473
Size:  194.6 KB

I tried to make the suction line as short as possible. Now I just need to wait for some warm weather.
      MUCH THANKS to the gang at Hydratech for all the help and support. VERY happy with the quality of the product and service.
      Tom

VERY nice installation Tom! Thank you for the kind words. Any chance you have a complete and / or driver's side engine bay shot? Pictures speak a thousand words, and being able to show the complete plumbing arrangement in one image would be very useful to anybody else looking to do this. If KRC is building you a lower pressure relief valve, you may also want to have them build you a second one with say 900-1000 relief, as a standalone installation such as yours can be tuned in just right without having to consider the effects to the steering (as you are running manual steering).

Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Paul M. Clark
      Founder / Master Engineer

Hydratech Braking Systems ®
      www.hydratechbraking.com

WOW! I got to take the Nova out for my first ride today. First time using it with the hydroboost, all I can say is what a difference! I wish I would have done this sooner.
      Tom

Country Flag: UK
      Quote Originally Posted by Fuelie Nova View Post
      WOW! I got to take the Nova out for my first ride today. First time using it with the hydroboost, all I can say is what a difference! I wish I would have done this sooner.
      Tom
      Sounds great, nice neat install too! I'm looking at the possibilty of hydraboost as well, but I will be running Electric Hydro Steering, so will be running it off the electric pump...

Quote Originally Posted by uk68327 View Post
      Sounds great, nice neat install too! I'm looking at the possibilty of hydraboost as well, but I will be running Electric Hydro Steering, so will be running it off the electric pump...
      Which system are you going to be using? I've got the 10-56 from ABS Power Brake in my 69 Camaro and the system works great. Bleeding was a pain in the rear though...make sure you bleed the fronts before the rears and you have to do it with the electric motor powered on.

Tom
      EMAILED You. Would love to know details about this kit and which exact part numbers you acquired....

I just called up Hydratech and talked to them about my needs and let them tell me what I need. One of the best investments I have made on the Nova....
      Tom

Awesome, I will give them a call. I think I found the right pump, just need to figure out which reservoir tank. Where did you get the lines?

I also got my lines from Hydratech, I figured they know all the correct fittings etc I needed. Make sure to pic your tank carefully. The PSC tank I used has a filter inside and also keeps the return oil away from the suction area. It is a nice built unit. Eventually I went to power steering because I'm getting old
      I also can't say enough about KRC pumps, they are a piece of art...
      Tom

Nice job! I am doing this with my car. Do you know if you have to have the power steering lines in to bleed and do initial test of my new brake lines and disks? I have everything plumbed and gravity bleed... But I am getting zero resistance on the brake pedal (none of the power steering lines are hooked up until I figure out how I want to route them.... Thoughts?

I also got my lines from Hydratech, I figured they know all the correct fittings etc I needed. Make sure to pic your tank carefully. The PSC tank I used has a filter inside and also keeps the return oil away from the suction area. It is a nice built unit. Eventually I went to power steering because I'm getting old
      I also can't say enough about KRC pumps, they are a piece of art...
      Tom
      I know this was a while ago, but I'm looking at this exact setup to use with the Hydratech, so having the picture showing where to mount in order to be above the PS pump is great! I was planning on order the lines from Hydratech as well, but I wanted to know if the 4' lines are sufficient? I have a 69 Firebird so I'm assuming I could use the same as you did on your Nova?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydratech View Post
      VERY nice installation Tom! Thank you for the kind words. Any chance you have a complete and / or driver's side engine bay shot? Pictures speak a thousand words, and being able to show the complete plumbing arrangement in one image would be very useful to anybody else looking to do this. If KRC is building you a lower pressure relief valve, you may also want to have them build you a second one with say 900-1000 relief, as a standalone installation such as yours can be tuned in just right without having to consider the effects to the steering (as you are running manual steering).

Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Sent you a PM.

I thought I would post a couple of pic's of my Hydratech Hydroboost install without power steering. I am really happy with the way my car steers with a manual rack but wanted power brakes. Not enough vacuum to run a booster.

I installed my Hydroboost a little higher that it normally would be installed for V/C clearance
      Name:  IMG_0836.jpg
Views: 14263
Size:  236.7 KB

Jim at Hydratech told me about using a PSC remote resevoir made for Hydroboost. It made the installation much easier. I also used one of KRC's new pro-series pumps and dropped it down to 1.7GPM. I like the way I can easily swap flow valves if needed. I am waiting on KRC to manufacture some lower pressure reliefs for the new pumps once they get caught up. Right now the pump vents at 1600, I want to drop it down to 1200 psi.
      Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 11473
Size:  194.6 KB

I tried to make the suction line as short as possible. Now I just need to wait for some warm weather.
      MUCH THANKS to the gang at Hydratech for all the help and support. VERY happy with the quality of the product and service.
      Tom
      Howdy!
      I am currently building an old European Ford Taunus 20M with V8 and stuff, and Hydraboost is the only booster that will fit.
      I am using a Lexus 4.0 V8 (1UZFE) and plan to use the original powersteering pump with relief vale to modulate pressure to aprox 1400 psi. Original it vents at 1750...

The other day I sent a mail to PSC Motorsports, asking for advice of buing reservoir, like the one you have.
      Here is what he says:
      "Fred, The system will work as you plan with the addition of a inline tank of some type to defuse the pressure once the fluid passes through the hydroboost brake unit. You cannot return fluid to the reservoir tank at full pressure. It will aerate the fluid in the reservoir and damage the pump."
      Tom Allen
      PSC Motorsports Inc.

Your system has no inline tank, does it? How do you avoid the issue he mention?

Best regards!
      Fred-G
      Norway

Hi Fred - greetings from the USA! As proven on the Fuelie Nova (and hundreds of other builds we have worked with as stand alone systems without actual power steering), PSC is actually exactly wrong on the matter. The second high pressure line that would normally connect to a steering gear builds no pressure at all when simply plumbed back to the reservoir because it is not being placed up against any type of load. Load is what creates pressure - no load = no pressure, just flow...

Lets look at it the other way around for the sake of clarity. If you can imagine a steering gear only in use (without a hydroboost in the system), you know that the low pressure return coming out of the steering box going back to the reservoir has essentially no pressure (just return flow). Now visualize only running a hydroboost unit (but no steering gear in the system) = "same difference" in that the return back to the reservoir acts exactly the same as the return from the steering box. Get it? Got it? Good

Paul M. Clark

www.hydratechbraking.com

So a PSC reservoir or any other Power steering reservoir with two return connections is all good?

There are many styles

There are many styles available, though definitely get one with the filter built in as it calms the fluid flow down and also provides excellent de-aeration of the PS fluid:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/nsearc...mote reservoir

Also, our favorite PS fluid these days is:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lbg-20902

Paul M. Clark

www.hydratechbraking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hydratech View Post
      There are many styles available, though definitely get one with the filter built in as it calms the fluid flow down and also provides excellent de-aeration of the PS fluid:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/nsearc...mote reservoir

Also, our favorite PS fluid these days is:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lbg-20902

Hello!
      Long time has passed, but finally I am there where I am doing the last part of my Hydroboost install.
      Sent the guys at Hydratech a mail some days ago, regarding the need of some parts for the high pressure system, but no answer so far.
      The company is still up and running??

Best regards!
      Fred-G

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com