Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Aluminum Radiator Modification Question

So the lower radiator hose on the Galaxie is turning into a packaging nightmare.... flexible rubber hoses aren't flexible enough, flexible stainless hoses from companies like spectre are all too long, can't find a stock hose that will will fit or can be modified to fit etc etc. The problem is, the lower outlet come out of the radiator and is angle upwards (not quite 45* up). So my question is, can I just cut the lower outlet off and flip it over so that it is angling down? This would make the stock hose fit, but would it hurt the flow characteristics of the cooling system? I just don't want to start hacking away with adverse consequences....

JC Scott

as long as you can tig weld, you can cut off the bottom angled section, rotate it and weld it back together. But here is the harder part: make sure that you stuff a wet rag inside the tube after you finish welding, push it all the way back in (taking care not to damage anything), and then use a dremel to grind any excess weld that penetrated inside the tube. That way you have a smooth flow of coolant when filled up. Once finished, pull the wet rag out and it'll bring any remaining shavings out with it.

Thanks Sparky!

Anybody else have any objections? I may call Griffin Tech Support tomorrow and ask them the same thing....
      JC Scott

As long as your not cutting into the cooling fins or rows your can cut ans reweld any part of the radiator. Even add to the radiator if you need to. In school I narrowed several radiators, its not too hard. If you dobt have the best AL TIG welding skills do the most work and take it to a shop and have them TIG it. Unless you add a large obstruction you wont hurt anyflow, however if you are feeling crafty adding a thin AL plate inside the inlet tube that divides it in half does A LOT to increase flow. It disrupts the swirl affect and coolant flows much faster.

Before you go cutting, take a coat hanger and bend it into the shape that you need. Cut it to length. Then march into an auto parts store and go to the hose rack with your hangar to see if they have anything that is the right shape.
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Better than a wire hanger, buy the aluminum flexible tubing that is used to heat the air cleaner on 80's cars. bend it to shape and go to the parts store and match it up.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
      Before you go cutting, take a coat hanger and bend it into the shape that you need. Cut it to length. Then march into an auto parts store and go to the hose rack with your hangar to see if they have anything that is the right shape.
      No luck with that either..... I've found some that are probably close enough to work, but then they're 1.5 inch I.D. instead of 2 inch....
      JC Scott

Didn't have time to call Griffin today.... maybe tomorrow. I have a feeling they'll say not to cut on their product though lol.

The super flexible stainless hoses from Summit.... can they be shortened? The only lengths are 12" and 24".... nothing in between. I need it to be about 15-16 inches.....
      JC Scott

On any company's product, if you cut it or weld on it, you will void any warranty. Due to insurance, they have to tell you not to do that, from a liability stand point. Do you have a picture showing your condition?

also, have you thought about getting some tubing and having it bent to shape, then use short sections of hose to make the end connections?

Can you take a picture of what your problem is, its easier for us to shoot suggestions that way.

Find a hose that reduces from 2" to 1.5" and use that for one half. Then use an aluminum pipe to meld together the hose with something that works up top. It is a TON easier to monkey with the hoses versus cutting and welding on an aluminum radiator.

Here are some pictures.... best I could do with the camera phone....

JC Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyRnD View Post
      also, have you thought about getting some tubing and having it bent to shape, then use short sections of hose to make the end connections?
      Didn't think about tubing and fernco couplings.... who do you get to bend tubing? Muffler shop?
      JC Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1969 View Post
      Find a hose that reduces from 2" to 1.5" and use that for one half. Then use an aluminum pipe to meld together the hose with something that works up top. It is a TON easier to monkey with the hoses versus cutting and welding on an aluminum radiator.
      Not sure I understand what you are saying here...... can you explain it again?
      JC Scott

Anybody else have any ideas?
      JC Scott

Got the hose figured out so hopefully I won't have to modify the radiator. Solution to flexible radiator hoses are found at O'Reillys instead of Advance Auto. O'Reillys carrys a Gates hose found here: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=1175 that is extremely flexible for a rubber hose, it doesn't crimp or fold in on itself, and it has a completely smooth bore. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Put a fork in this one... it's done.
      JC Scott

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com