Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

64 F-85 radiator /electric fans

Guys in building the 64 post car I have decided to go with an aluminum radiator and an electric fan set-up Has anybody worked with this combo on these early 64-65 A-body cars? I already discovered as far as radiator size the 64 is a one year only being about 3 inches shorter than a 65 from top to bottom. Original core measurements are 25.5 wide, 15.5 high. The distance from the water pump pulley to the radiator should be the same Between the two years. Also a 64 had the bottom outlet on the drivers side two, but that's no big deal because I know this will have to be built to spec anyway. This is going to have to support 500HP, 200R4, with Vintage A/C. What options are there?
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

I have a pair of Spal 11" fans on mine.

Country Flag: United States
      We are going to build one for Project Lonestar, which will be getting an LS swap. I think their core support is still original and unmodified, so it should be the same. What is your time frame?

Project LoneStar a 64 or 65?

Just looked, it's a 1965. We can still build one for yours, but would need a lot of pictures and measurements before sending us your original. That way we could build for your mounts, and if there is a possibility to make it wider or taller, we could do so. that is assuming you want us to build one. If you decide that you want us to build one, just email me or send me a message here.

The core measurements are 25.5 wide and 15.5 high. With the tanks it's 20.5 inches high. There maybe room for a 4 core as far as width. Unless you somehow modify the core support, that's what I have to work with. I will let you know.

The radiator core supports are the same between 64 / 65. Make a new aluminum radiator for the 425. I'm not a fan of SPAL fans, no pun intended. We took ours off because of the noise they created. I'm using Cooling componets on the new setup we're building for the LS engine. This will be the fourth vehicle using that system. The ZZ430 engine I had in my 34 Ford made me a beliver in that setup. Remember, nothing worse than a cool car that's runs too hot all the time! I'm just saying.
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

HMM I wonder how they get three more inches of tall in the 65 radiator? why I can't use a 65.If the core supports are the same must be in the design of the hood? Shows in your signature you have a 64 and 65 could you take look and see what the difference is. Coolcraft has a 65 aluminum radiator. Also I have barely 2inches between the radiator and the fan pulley studs. Looking at 2 11 inch fans. Thanks for your help.

I measured both cars and they are they same dimensions.
      -Paul
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

as soon as BullDawg MuscleCars is ready, we're going to take measurements off their customer's car (project Lonestar) and build a prototype. I'll send each of you a pm before we start to confirm that their core support matches what each of you have, that way we can rule out any differences.

It appears the the difference in the core supports is the "cradle" the radiator sets in is about 3 inches lower on a 65. So now I'm wondering is there is enough square inches of cooling space on the 64 to build an aluminum radiator, shroud fans etc to support 500 plus hp?

Just a quick question for you. In looking thru the chat's, Is Mark going to copy the A/C bracket for you to use on the 425 ? If so, are you using aluminum heads? If not, the spacing front to back will wrong I believe. Not wanting to stick my nose in but couldn't help. There is a company in Florida that makes brackets for 508 compressors for Olds engines.
      -Paul
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

Not a problem. Yes he had one made for me. I will run aluminum heads on the 425 for now original iron on the 400E, most likely I will get the new heads available from Bernard Mondello. That said from my experience (a novice at best) that I should be fine with the bracket, otherwise other issues would have come up with Edelbrocks with pulley alignment etc in the past with aluminum heads? The only issues with Edelbrocks is having to very carefully clearance that pass side head if your going to run a mechanical fuel pump. I appreciate the input if Marks will not work I need to call that company in Florida. Don't tell me that the company in Florida make the bracket that looks like a boomerang?

For the amount of space available, if you build a stock-sized radiator (original size) you will possibly have some issues cooling a 500hp beast. I would look at the amount of available space and build one as big as you can. That will also facilitate more power adders down the line if you choose to later go with some boost. We just built our latest series for the 1968-1972 C10 pickups here, and this will support around the 800hp + range:

Sparky, a little more info ( but some the same) the 64 area is 25.5 wide and 20.5 high, the 65 is the same width but 23.5 inches high, you have 3 more inches to work with. 65 was the first year of the BB 400E for the 442, 64 was either a 6 or the SB 330. The tank width is 3 inches. I will look into re-fabbing the core support, because by the time I buy a 65, ship it in have it blasted and powder coated I can most likely have this one modified to fit even a bigger one for about the same money.

Ok, and thanks for the information. I will be at BullDawg's shop this week and will measure Lonestar and start setting up a rough sketch.

SparkyRnD, I think an aluminum radiator shrouded with dual low profile fans should work, 200R4, A/C, 550 HP??

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com