Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada

"D20" 1968 Mustang - Pro Touring Project

Hey there, this is my first car, I picked it up today (dec. 20th), a couple months after my 16th birthday
      Its a 1968 Ford Mustang, its gotta 289 V8 and a Toploader 4 speed (apparently original to the car)

Anyways, its gonna be my daily driver in a year or two (when I get my full-ish license), I'm also on a budget, so my plans aren't huge, I want to update the suspension, add some new disc brakes, put a tach in as it didnt come with one from the factory (recommendations are appreciated) and add some sway bars, and hopefully get some new wheels soon. Any suggestions on what to do for the suspension would be awesome.

The car, as it sits right now, needs clutch work, it shakes and squeals, but gets better as you drive it, (if anyone could recommend me something to fix that itd be awesome too!)
      The bodies in real good condition, the paint jobs pretty sloppy, but right now I couldnt care less.
      Other than that it needs a good clean up, which is tomorrows project lol.
      The car runs awesome and drives great as is right now.
      Not bad for a first car eh? Picked it up for 4500.

Country Flag: United States
      Looks good! Look into the " rally pac" tach combo, they look real era and came factory on some cars.

this is on a 65, but you can get the idea

Congrats on the car. If your plans aren't crazy, maybe start with "freshening" up the engine (new plugs, filters, hoses, flush/replace fluids) -- same goes for the drivetrain (trans, rear diff) -- to ensure the car runs reliably and happy.

Then as you noted start with some suspension work. Did you plan on keeping the rear leaf springs? Or something like a bolt-in 3-link kit?

After suspension you should definitely do disc brakes and wheels/tires as well (as you noted).
      ~JB
      68 Mustang Build | 3rd Time's the Charm

Used to be known as BlackFlame

Nice Project. I am building a 67 right now also. Check out Mustang Plus in Stockton Ca, They should have you need for parts.

Morgan
      Morgan
      Fresno CA.
      65 Shelby 427 S/C
      67 Mustang Coupe
      Thread: Morgan's 67 Project Trans Am Coupe

nice buy!
      63 Fairlane 500
      07 Mustang GT Convt
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Bring-the-rain

Man that's a cool first car congrats!! and Welcome as posted above I would def. freshen it up there are always used SBF parts on the cheap. Good luck and keep us posted.

1967 Pontiac LeMans in the works

I will be in the market to buy a mustang just like this one as soon as i finish my Dart, i will be building a daily dirver for my wifey, like a PT Rat Rod combination.

By the way this car looks like a very nice find good luck with the project i will be watching your progress very close.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlame View Post
      Congrats on the car. If your plans aren't crazy, maybe start with "freshening" up the engine (new plugs, filters, hoses, flush/replace fluids) -- same goes for the drivetrain (trans, rear diff) -- to ensure the car runs reliably and happy.

Then as you noted start with some suspension work. Did you plan on keeping the rear leaf springs? Or something like a bolt-in 3-link kit?

After suspension you should definitely do disc brakes and wheels/tires as well (as you noted).
      Thanks, and yeah, Im pulling the engine in the next couple days to get everything cleaned and painted, its gonna need some clutch work, so thats what Im getting done first,
      I'd love to put a 3 link in, I dont know if its in my budget right now (Ive started saving my money back up after I spent it on my Mustang), what are the options for a 3 link?
      And yeah my wheels arent so sexy right now, Im looking at a set of used 5 spokes, possibly new if I can get the right price

I am putting TCI's 3 link on my 67 coupe. for what it's worth, i am very pleased with the quality..

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      I am putting TCI's 3 link on my 67 coupe. for what it's worth, i am very pleased with the quality..
      Looks like a great kit, not in my budget right now but in the future who knows, Im still planning the build though so ynever know

I am looking forward to seeing your progress, I have been thinking about starting a thread on mine, but as slow as it is moving i feel like it wouldn't be updated often enough lol

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      I am looking forward to seeing your progress, I have been thinking about starting a thread on mine, but as slow as it is moving i feel like it wouldn't be updated often enough lol
      Yeah at first I though that too, but it cant hurt, and lots of guys here are really helpful with the little questions
      BTW I added better pics to the original post

looks almost exactly like mine did when I first got it, but it was dark blue. I have since stripped it down, replaced both quarters, taillight panel, rear crossmember, and am replacing the floorpans right now. now i wish since i replaced all that i woulda done the fastback conversion

Nice buy for $4500 I think. I'm all for suspension upgrades, but personally, I'm in the camp that the first thing these old cars need are better brakes... A good as you can buy. Combine that with larger wheels, and the cars immediately become so much more enjoyable to drive. You don't have to go crazy, just some 16x7 or 8 gives you enough rom for larger rotors, and enough contact patch to stop the cart more effectively, which means you don't fear stop lights.

Good luck with the project!

As noted TCI is a great choice on the 3rd link. One other thing I forgot to note is while you have the engine out and such, look into a hydraulic or cable clutch system. The old school lever system on the vintage Stangs is terrible.
      ~JB
      68 Mustang Build | 3rd Time's the Charm

Used to be known as BlackFlame

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlame View Post
      As noted TCI is a great choice on the 3rd link. One other thing I forgot to note is while you have the engine out and such, look into a hydraulic or cable clutch system. The old school lever system on the vintage Stangs is terrible.
      Yeah I wanna go hydraulic, its too late to just replace the lever system, the clutch shakes and squeals so, Im gonna needa whole new one Im thinking, havent really looked into it. I dont know alot about clutches, does mine need replacing?

Congrats on your new ride, I'm building a 65, pretty much heading the same direction as you are. As mentioned above, Mustangs Plus is a great shop to go to for parts and advice. I've been dealing with them for 25+ years, Good folks! Good luck with the car, I'll keep an eye on it!

One more thing..... GO SHARKS!!!!! ha ha ha
      JR
      1965 Ford Mustang

You mentioned wanting a tachometer for your Mustang. I had one for a while which replaced the clock in the stock cluster. They were made by Retrogauge for a few years and were about $100. You can still find them on eBay from time to time. Here is a picture of the one I used to have.

look into rod and custom motorsport suspension. Products look to be nice but i have not used them yet. http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/ I have seen quite a few builds with there products on.

Sweet project btw! I will be watching the progress
      Tyler

Put A FORD In Your FORD!

Ok sorry its been a while, Ive been super busy and havent even the seen the car in the last 3 weeks, now that Im back I started tearing out the old carpet, Ill get pics later, the floors are in pretty good condition with the only major rust being on the front of the drivers side, I think Im just going to weld in a patch panel, sand it all down to bare metal, and paint it with something thats gonna keep the metal from rusting in the future. If I didnt mention before its a 289 car, with a running 289 in it. Im pulling it out soon to get a better look at it, clean it up, and I may or may not swap for a 302/351.

Right now Im planning ahead as to what suspension to put under the car, I really like the 4-Bar Coilover rear suspension from Rod and Custom Motorsport as suggested by 56pickup, and its a good price. Also looking at the coilover front suspension. Anyone have any input? And suggestions for what my options are? I am on a budget, thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com