Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Who wants to run @ Thunderhill January 23rd?

I'm signed up already and a couple others are likely joining.

Get a head start and some practice time on the track that will be the site of a 2012 Run to the X (American Street Car Series) event.

Here is the registration page and NCRC is a first class track organizer.

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

They were guaranteeing it not to rain or your money back when they first opened up registration for this date. I looked a couple of weeks ago and it said that the gauarantee was off for anybody else that registered. I have a buddy that will be there with his Shelby. I'm waiting for warmer weather in May.

Robert

Yeah not sure why they changed that.
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

I just noticed this event. I've never been on the track but definitely want to learn. My car has been on the street for a few months and i think all (most) the bugs are now worked out of it. Is there still room to register for this event and would you recommend a newbie participate?

I tried to email the coordinator on the website but have not received a response yet.

There is room left in the Driving School group, which is for those with no track experience. See here:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

I have not run with NCRC yet but many I know have and say it is a good track sponsor and well organized. The price is about as good as it gets to get on a track as well. I don't see why this wouldn't be a good newbie place to start.

What is your car and setup?

Dave
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Thanks for the reply, are you the Dave from the site?

Car is a 72 Camaro It has a pumped up fuel injected 377, Richmond ROD 6 speed, and 3.42 gears. Have Hotchkiss leafs on the back with QA1 shocks and QA1coilers on the front. Detroit speed subframe connnectors. I boxed the LCA's and added PT F-body tubular uppers and there solid bushings in the LCA's. Factory from sway bar and no rear bar. Brakes are C5 front and LS rear with hydaboost. I'm thinking to add some more aggressive pads and rotors if I head to this event since I jsut have cheap pads and rotors on it for now. I also have an autopower bolt in bar with 5 point harnesses to keep me in the seat. I'm pretty sure the car can handle the track much better than I can

I've been driving around the street and hitting the dragstrip every other week for testing and to deal with all sorts of small issues from exhaust rubbing to fuel pumps dying to oil pan leaks and shifting isssues but after ~9 months I think 99% of them are all fixed. Most importanly the leaks are fixed

Did I read it right that the cost $99 plus membership? If so count me in. I guess I'll be calling in sick to work.....

DO you have any recomendations for additional car/driver prep? I live in Sac so the drive is ~2 hours. Am I a pansy to trailer the car there or should I suck it up and drive?

Oh no, that is Dave Mills. He runs NCRC.

Your car sounds killer man. Another destroked 377 -- I love it.... I just finally added race pads too so this will my first track day with those. Sounds like you got some good track day essentials there already.

Yes only $99 plus a non-member fee I think of $10. Or it's like $40 for an annual. Not sure if I will make it 4 times with NCRC this year so I did the non-member thing. Plus transponder is an extra $20 I think.

What do you mean as far as add'l prep?

I am trailering and don't feel bad about that. Ya just never know what can happen on the way, at the track, or coming home ya know.
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Trailer it if you can. You never know what might happen and a two hour tow back home is no fun(ask me how I know). Most everybody that can, does trailer there and back.

Robert

Open group still shows plenty of room so I'll wait ti'll I see the 5 day forecast before signing up.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

As far as additional prep I was thinking more along safety items I should make sure I have more than anything. I'm already going to check all my critical bolts (contol arms, ball joints, linkages, lugs, etc), brakes, fluids. A few weeks ago I actually found my upper ball joint was loose and moving in the control arm, I never would have thought that would happen but now I check everything out with a good amount of detail.

I may go to watch, as my car is probably not nearly un-kinked enough for such a commitment; I just put the bike rack on, after all. As it looks, it is never going to rain again, so conditions should be tolerable, if not completely inspiring. Maybe if I'm outside at the right time, I'll catch someone practicing on the road by my new front yard...

Quote Originally Posted by sgernon View Post
      As far as additional prep I was thinking more along safety items I should make sure I have more than anything. I'm already going to check all my critical bolts (contol arms, ball joints, linkages, lugs, etc), brakes, fluids. A few weeks ago I actually found my upper ball joint was loose and moving in the control arm, I never would have thought that would happen but now I check everything out with a good amount of detail.
      Yes, definitely great idea and one everyone should pay attention to. The smallest thing can either ruin or end your track, or worse, be a big safety hazard.

We are definitely doing a nut and bolt check including fuel system, suspension, brakes before heading up. Lots to do before Jan 23.... the punchlist never stops!!!
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Here is a list I've saved from Stielow.

------------------------------
      My safety check list for Open Track Days....

High temp brake fluid
      High temp and bedded brake pads
      Fire extinguisher
      Differential catch tank or cooler
      Rad catch tank
      Transmission catch tank or cooler
      Exhaust system hanger strong enough to take a day of track use. (This was a big problem with my old One Lap of America car until I started to us OE style hangers.)
      Good seat belts
      Easy to read gages – better if you have warning lights
      Locktighted critical fastners. (I’ve seen a brake caliper come off at speed – not good)
      I run a torque run over my whole car before a track event.

Stielow
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Hopefully I won't be needing a cooler for the tranny or the diff at this stage but I think everything else is covered pretty well. I've been scanning the weather reports daily and if things don't look better soon I don't think I'm going to register for this one....

I know man.... what a ****ty forecast.... altho a forecast a week out has been known to change!
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Ha, Monday the 23rd as of today is the only non-rain day in sight.... LOL

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/wil...t/332003?day=8
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

I was looking at a different site and had given up. I guess I should purchase those new brakes and get them bedded in just in case.I was looking at a different site and had given up.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdet...A1244?dayNum=7

Yeah like any of them know what the hell is going on beyond a 24 hr outlook.... LOL

I am using accuweather because NCRC uses that site as the determining factor on whether they offer rain-out refunds on Sunday the 22nd if there is at least a 10% chance of rain.

I'd really like to go but we'll see.....
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Just checked the site and the driving school is sold out at this time. I'll have to wait and sign up for the next event. I hope for everyone else the weather holds out.

Have fun and be safe out there guy's. I just finished my car today and I cant wait to get her out now but weather is not looking to promising enough for me to gamble on.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com