Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

CNC Machinists/CAD designers, I need advice on creating my invention.

Not sure if this is better here, or in the General discussion area, but I figured the experts come in here, so here it is. I've got an idea, and I think it's a good one. Those I've bounced it off have agreed, but I don't know where to start. I have a need for a product, and this product would appeal to many, thousands I think, that also need this product. It is motorsports related, and would be very affordable to the masses. However, I have no experience in CAD drawing, and don't know where to turn for advice. I'm afraid if I mumble a word about it, my idea would be vapor and turn up elsewhere. It is a simple idea, and there is no product on the market to compete with in my search.

How do I work with a CAD designer to make a prototype, and consequently a CNC machinist, or other fabricator without fear of intellectual theft?

I don't have much money to invest yet, even after selling my PT car.

I know at some point I'll have to trust someone, but I'm not sure if I can even apply for a decent patent without some engineering advice and quality drawings. I'm a fine artist, but some of my idea will need engineering advice to see what aspects are feasible or cost effective/prohibitive.

Advice appreciated!!

1969 Firebird, Black, Parchment Arizen interior, Poncho 383 (4" crank), Kauffman heads, TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Wilwoods, DSE, Speed Tech, Koni, Hotchkis, GW, 18" TTI's, VA Gen IV, etc.

Also, what system could I use to learn some basic CAD drawings? It's not a highly technical part, but there are moving mechanisms that I'll need to determine the best manner to render.

1969 Firebird, Black, Parchment Arizen interior, Poncho 383 (4" crank), Kauffman heads, TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Wilwoods, DSE, Speed Tech, Koni, Hotchkis, GW, 18" TTI's, VA Gen IV, etc.

Country Flag: United States

I happen to be a mechanical engineer and therefore have access to all the fancy modeling, drafting and prototyping capabilities out there, but if I were in your shoes this is how I would proceed: 1) thoroughly think out what it actually is that you can/want to patent, go read a hole bunch of patents then rethink your idea and your strategy for what to claim in your patent. 2) make some hand drawings, mock up some prototypes, take some pictures and get a local shop to build you one, if you have mechanical parts and you really want to protect the idea split them up, send a part or two to three different mom and pop machine shops and assemble yourself, cad and 3d modeling is cool and speeds up the process, but any machinist worth their salt can work from a well made hand sketch as well. Make sure all this is recorded existing as you do it.... prior art goes a long way sometimes. 3) If you really are serious then while you do 1 and 2 find a patent lawyer and talk to them, it will cost you a little money, but they can give you some real sound, specific advice and it helps with #2 if the need to prove prior art ever arises. Also remember, you don't need to have a product fully engineered and ready for market to get a patent, you just need an idea; at both places I have worked we often applied for patents and even went through with being granted patents on ideas that were barely cocktail napkin sketches, some were later fully developed and marketed, some were done simply to inconvenience the competition who was doing the same thing to try and block us.

As far as modeling and drafting software, autocad is great for 2d drafting, I like both pro-E and inventor for modeling, all of these are quite pricey if you intend to legally purchase them though.

Like I said, I have access to a lot of that stuff, I cant get you the programs, but if you need something drawn up I'd be glad to help.
      Tom

trailers are for boats and broke stuff.

I am a design engineer for plastic injection molds (20 years experience). I have a journeyman moldmaker card and am knowledgable in cnc machining. I have access to Creo (latest Pro/E version) as well as Solidworks. I can be of assistance with design work as well as advice with manufacturing processes. I would contact a lawyer concerning confidenciality agreements for any parties that you wish to discuss your ideas with. Let me know if I can be of help in any way!

Good luck to you!

George

hi george, did you get my pm?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I've got a confidentiality agreement that you can look at. The company that this is for is a Global Company with very deep pockets to the enforce the document. By the way - Patents take up to 2 years to obtain between 12 and 15 grand in fee's and you can still get ripped off from an offshore entity and there isn't really a damn thing you can do about it. My advice to you is make a quality product, sell a bunch, provide excellent customer service (treat customers like you want to be treated) and let it go from there. If you are interested please PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward the document to you.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

I have a friend that I went to college with that is now a lawyer. He said the simplest and easiest way to obtain a patent is by not obtaining a patent at all. He said if I ever have an idea sketch it/write it/ document it somehow and then put it in an envelope mail it to yourself with some sort of tracking/date-time stamp and never open it. You have a verifiable date for the idea you established....... Never really researched the theory to see if it would hold up in court though. Seems logical on the surface however.

interesting....
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I'd skip the patent process. I had a US patent that was developed overseas and brought to market here after the 17yr patent period ran out. If it's a big enough idea, someone WILL find a way to screw you out of the patent rights.

Best of luck on your invention...just a bit of advice from someone who has been there.

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Hi,

I own a product development firm, and we get this question quite often. We recommend quickpatents.com in the past. They can do a patent search for $250, and set you up with a nondisclosure form (NDA) for less. With the NDA, you can to show your invention to a designer/engineer/shop to get your project quoted. I'm probably giving away business, but this concept sounds interesting: http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-...ns/page18.html , free cad software provided? I can't vouch for for them, but anything to help the pro-touring community.

Rick

CiroDesignRacing.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com