Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Looking for information/links on ABS 3 or 4 channel anti lock brake systems

I am looking for information or links for using a 3/4 channel ABS system on my 2nd Gen Camaro. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to hear from some one who added this to thier Pro Touring car.

Country Flag: United States
      Check out hotrod.com under tech articles for a guy who installed a 02 zo6 abs unit in his 69 camaro.

^ That was AME's Matt Jones install I believe. Matt's a smart guy, but the article really made it sound really simple. I've heard there's more to it (tuning, install, etc.) than was presented in the article. Pretty sure you engineers can figure it out!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Biggest thing about using ABS is keeping tire diameters same and try to use a reasonably current brake system. I have a guy with a narrowed 01 1500 Sierra rear end, and using ATS spindles and I am not exactly sure how he set the rear end up to to match The Vette stuff, but it uses the 3 channel Sierra controller and since he already had GM LSx engine from same 1500 and trans it worked well.
      Since we threw it together we also hacked it and piggybacked a MegasquirtIIxtra and he switched it out to use the new MS 3 board and is working it over to use the MS3 to run E85/E100.
      Lots of research on what works, but since Corvette uses similar height tires it works well if you can use that combo if not atleast try to use something like 1010tires or rimsntires to make sure you heights are idea, ABE REALLY hates anymore than 3% difference and really wants less than 2% difference in height.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Thanks for all the feedback! I will check out the other site & have read the magazine articles but no where near enough information to get started. I am sure its not as simple as some make it sound. I am actually surprised that there is not some aftermarket ABS controller with adjustable parameters. Anyone else have any information please post it!
      Thanks,
      Don

Country Flag: Canada

You just blew my mind with the truck abs monza. How does he like it? The thing that would appeal to me the most about that is that it might deal better with rearward weight bias than other abs systems. A quick look at the specs for the new silverado shows the loaded weight giving a rearward bias of 57% (4686 curb 59% front weight with a 1714 max payload). I'd think it'd be less aggressive than a performance car abs, but so long as it's better than what a person can do with just a left foot it'd be an improvement.

What about using the Bosch 2U ABS system? The 2nd Gen F-body shares a spindle with the B-body that the system came off of and the pinion mounted rear reluctor could be done up externally with something like the Jags That Run conversion that I've seen pictures of if you didn't want to adapt the B-body 8.5in 10-bolt rear axle. The 91-94 EBCM is seperate from the vehicle ECM so it could be integratable. At least that's the reason I have all the parts sitting around for.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Thanks I will check out the Bosch system. The b-body spindles & Moser has a new HD 12 bolt with a torque arm & the ABS sensor in the housing I was thinking could be used? Let me know what you think guys? I thought there would be more information available.

Anyone know if Mark Steilow has posted any information on how he adapted ABS to his 69 camaro? I am sure he had some help from the GM guys? I think I am going to check out the GM parts for ZO6 ABS controller, spindles, sensors etc where used?

Brake Package : Up front are 355mm rotors gripped by Brembo six-piston calipers. 345mm rotors on rear wheels with four-piston Brembo calipers. Hardware and software from Z06 Corvette antilock braking system.

The wheel and tire package is : 18x10- and 18x12.5-inch Forgeline wheels and 275/35 and 335/30-18 BFGoodrich KDW tires.

As for the Sierra stuff its basically an advanced 3 channel system that uses ONLY brake pedal input and wheel speed, no other input like steering angle or yaw sensor is used so it works well. AGAIN tire height is critical. He used stock Corvette tires (17s) and Nitto tires. The car runs like stray cat with firecracker up back side, to use the owners point. He can switch from stock truck computer or back to the MS3. So far his home made cam sensor is working, he had one issue with home made trigger wheel mimicking a Northstar trigger wheel and Northstar DIS. He used hot rolled steel, and it magnetizes so he has other means to make it run. He has local guy who says a proper heat treat and anodizing will stop it.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I will check out the 3 channel systems I think that will be the best system for what I have in mind. I found information on the ZO6 4 channel on another site if anyone is interested private message me & I will send you the link.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I've beat my system to death and have a good idea on what it can do for a hot rod.

BTW, IMO 4-channel is easier and more worth the effort.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      What about using the Bosch 2U ABS system? The 2nd Gen F-body shares a spindle with the B-body that the system came off of and the pinion mounted rear reluctor could be done up externally with something like the Jags That Run conversion that I've seen pictures of if you didn't want to adapt the B-body 8.5in 10-bolt rear axle. The 91-94 EBCM is seperate from the vehicle ECM so it could be integratable. At least that's the reason I have all the parts sitting around for.
      i remember reading somewhere out in internetland years ago that the Caprice ABS setup would be the easiest to swap into an older GM vehicle because you can use the Caprice spindles and get your existing 8.5 housing and pinion gear machined for the reluctor wheel, and that they tuned them to be a little more "safe" with each passing year so you want to get the earliest setup you can find..

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      I have been planning on put ABS in my 3rd gen Camaro, from what I have found, is that the newer the parts car the easier the install. the wheel sensors need to have the same count, and similar in volume in calipers. but with being able to go from at 2 piston to a 6piston calipers and does not effect the ABS, it just makes you wander how much of a change can a stock system compensate for. the OEM ABS computers can NOT be reprogrammed.
      I'm looking at a ZO6 system.

Long Shot

Hi Matt this is proubly a long shot you are still on here. but if you are someone else can help me with my 4 channel abs swap on my 2nd gen camaro would be great. I have the corvette ebcm, c5 front spindles and wheel bearings with the abs sensors built in, and 4th gen rear brake brackets, 4 channel sensors, and tone rings. I have messaged moser axles for help but couldnt get any. How do i get the tone rings on the 2nd gen camaro 8.5 axles in the right spot? would like as much detailed info as possible. Thanks

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ension-and-ABS
      this one uses the C4 vet system, He has a quick explanation of how he made it work. the C4 BCU is independent of the rest of CU's, only using power, brake input, and wheel sensors, he states he used the service manual for identifying each wire. he did not use the steering angle or yaw input, I think that those would only make a difference if you are doing SCCA or similar.
      Maybe we can get SoloC4 / Steven to do a thread on just the ABS for all of us.