Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cutting sheet metal

Hey guys, im getting ready make a few things for my car involving sheet metal. I was wondering what tool would give me the cleanest cut and wouldn't distort the edge of the sheet metal.

Matt

electric metal shear has worked best for me. The size of a drill, makes turns easy and its fast.

A few different companies make a shear that mounts in an electric drill.

Never tried one, but the theory sounds good; and I've heard good reports about them if you're cutting 18ga or lighter.

I prefer the kind that uses a "double shear" blade. It typically makes a cleaner cut, but it will produce strips of scrap, and you have to remember which side of your line to cut on!

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Sheet metal nibbler works nice for clean cuts. They double shear like Ray mentioned above. Come in hand operated, electric, or air powered. Googles will show the way to how to videos and brands.

The only thing I'd add is to avoid the temptation to buy a cheap shear or nibbler. Pay the money up front and get a quality tool. I'm speaking from experience, naturally.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

A electric/air shear or nibler

Cool, Thanks for the info guys. I will do some research on the sheers and niblers. Is there any brands you guys can recommend? I would rather buy it right the first time.
      Matt

I'm probably doing things the hard way, but I have had good luck with an angle grinder with a cutting disk. I can cut just about any shape fairly quickly and acurately, but I have also worked with that grinder so much that I could probably do surgery with it.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

If you are doing a lot of offhand cuts you may want to look into a beverly shear. Very handy tool and it leaves a very clean edge.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I have tried the cutting disk before but sometimes the wheel bounces around gouging the metal on both sides. The grinder/cutting wheel is a hit or miss for me.
      Matt

Country Flag: Canada
      Yeah, I use a beverly shear for long straight cuts and a nibbler for corners and smaller bits. The nibbler is awesome, but mine is a little slow at thicker stuff. And the thing with the shear is it leaves a good unbent piece on the top side, but the piece going under gets curved. Again, that's more an issue with thicker stuff.

If you are cutting thin sheet meatl use a 4 1/2 in. grinder w/a 6india.x.060 thick cut off wheel.Awesome str.cuts very little burrs' You can find them at www.Mcmaster-carr.com

MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by exwestracer View Post
      A few different companies make a shear that mounts in an electric drill.

Never tried one, but the theory sounds good; and I've heard good reports about them if you're cutting 18ga or lighter.

I prefer the kind that uses a "double shear" blade. It typically makes a cleaner cut, but it will produce strips of scrap, and you have to remember which side of your line to cut on!
      When using either type of shear like this it is best to cut the piece close to the line within 1/4' or so and then go back and make a final cut. This helps when you are at a curve to relieve the stress that folds over the edge a bit while the other side/scrap side is fighting to stay level with the other side. It also makes a fair amount of difference on straight lines too.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

i went to harbor freight and got something "like" a beverly shear and it was only like $140. Works pretty well. I'm sure you get what you pay for but I wasnt going to spend $700 when for 1/5 that i can get the same effect.

It depends what your cutting and gauge...midwest snips are the best snips on the market and are drop forged...If you cut right you can get a perfect cut...bettery than beverly more versatile.good luck

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com