Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: security

security

i wasn't to sure where to post this, but anyway i was wondering what you guys have for security on your cars? id like to get one of the grant removable steering wheel systems, but what do you guys have and recommend? also what is the best precautions to take if the unfortunate where to happen and it was stolen? like insurance and appraisals and all that

Country Flag: United States
      LoJack works, and works good. I would recommend it for everyone on here, for any car they care about.

If you were to combine the removable steering wheel with a "club" type device that locks on the brake pedal you should be fine.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

i was imagining something like that in my head but i didnt think they existed, do you have a link for them or anything? i wouldnt even know how to find them. and for low jack how do you actually get it, do you just call them and they bring out and install it?

I recommend over-insuring your car with collector car agreed value insurance and leaving the keys in it!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

well im really thinking about getting a removable steering wheel but i have nooo idea what i need to get or what even good.

And one thing about a lo-jack is that its not available in every city/state so see if its available first
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

I say Lo Jack, and A good Club.....Lo Jack with the early warning system....

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      I recommend over-insuring your car with collector car agreed value insurance and leaving the keys in it!
      I concur!!! good appraisal and full coverage insurance, and I Wish they would!!
      Havii Gonzalez, OC Calif.

68' MARO - UNDER FULL RESTO - LSX ect..

Used to be known as stilo

i would have to disagree with that statement i love my car to much.
      what is "a club"? ive never heard of it before and i would not even know where to start with that
      as far as lo jack you guys dont think its worth the money? is there anything else that would be good thing to do say like are there any up date lock systems or anything?

Country Flag: Wales
      The club is a good visual deterrent but they are very easy to bypass. You could wire in some kind of kill switch.. E.g. no starter unless you hold the head light switch on high beam. That will only help if someone try to hot wire it or you leave your key in it. But if they tow it then you need lo jack or some kind of tracking device.
      ''Courage is being scared to death
      - But saddling up anyway''.......John Wayne...

Anthony

I recently installed a lovely master cut-off switch in the dash, next to my glove box. It cost about ten bucks. What's cool is this: Remove the plastic key, and the battery circuit is completely broken.

In the past, I've wired kill switches into the positive terminal of the coil--just go to Radio Shack and get a nice (not huge) toggle switch, some decent wire, and drill a hole under the dash (you could even use double-side tape). The endlessly turning starter (no spark) then serves as a functional alarm.

Finally, The Club is largely a visual deterrent, which is good. Thieves are usually lazy, and won't bother if a certain amount of labor is required; if you go this way, get the kind that goes from wheel to brake pedal. The pedal kind is harder to cut, and you can only drive it if you cut it.

Be creative--you can still be effective while being cheap. Our cars cannot be accurately replaced with a ripoff insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      Be creative--you can still be effective while being cheap. Our cars cannot be accurately replaced with a ripoff insurance policy.
      exactly, so like a batterey disconect would be a good way to go? and that high beam switch is super sneaky! i like that idea a lot ha but im going to have to think of something but its not going to be easy ha

Yes, when I meant the Club, it was for the steering Wheel, haha...

I am thinking of going with the Club from the Steering Wheel to the brake Pedal, and the LoJack with the early warning System...A kill switch would be just another level... All are possible....

but the thing with a club to the steering wheel, they would just cut the steering wheel because its easy to cut

this is allowing me to get a good grasp on what needs to be done and what people recommend

do any of you guys know how they steal cars? get a good idea on what they do and then take the right steps in prevention

I would imagine that our type or cars are mostly stolen by pushing them into trailers or using a tow truck to take them away, much more than trying to start them and drive away.

ya i was thinking on what to do and some simple thing done to the car cut off switch or what have you then finding a spot where a truck cant reach it, but thats a flawed plan the could still pop it into nuetral and then push it to the trailer..
      Last edited by Hunter68; 11-02-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: second thoughts

What about just a regular alarm? I install them at my shop all the time, and will be putting one in my vette and my fathers '55 chevy. Door opens, alarm goes off. Car is moved or hit, shock sensor triggers the alarm to go off. If the car is too far for you to hear the alarm, there are upgraded units that will send an alarm to the remote to let you know. The chirps from locking the doors/arming the system are a good theft deterrent as well.
      I think an alarm and a lo-jack would be your best bet for security. Alarm will let you know when your car is being stolen or messed with, and lo-jack will let you know where it is after it is stolen.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Auto lock http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-The-UN...2493369&sr=1-1

The slot at the bottom goes around your brake and you pull up so it locks the brake. its hard to explain but it works... cheap too and get a battery cut off switch they are cheap and also good for when you dont drive your ride for a while..

No Lojack where I live so I am looking at this:
      http://gizmodo.com/5691724/how-to-tr...e-on-the-cheap

combined with a basic alarm + a kill switch on the power wire to my fuel pump.

I personally do not use any security tool for my car as it is very old. But many of my friends rely on safe service Los Angeles, CA. They say there automotive services are quite good. You can remove or replace your steering wheel in less than five seconds with grant installation kits. A patented lockout cap snaps onto the steering column to further assure the security of your vehicle. Insurance are must have stuffs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com