Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project Demon Spawn: the rebirth of my 70' Duster-efi, 408ci, t56, dana 60

Hey guys, some of you may have seen my thread on here once or twice. If you have you know ive been daily driving it since day one, making changes as time allows. I figured today is definatly a big turning point to my project, and as such deserves a new thread...it also allows me to vent a little about what just happened to me.

Today i just got out of an exam and was driving to go to work, Traffic was backed up at a light and i had come to a stop for 2-3 seconds. I was about 50' away from the next car in line so someone else could get out of a parking lot. I dont remember much, but i do know i had my foot buried in the brake when the car rear ended me. They hit me so hard that i got pushed 50' with my tires locked up into the car in front of me. The driveshaft yoke is pushed into the t56, and pushed the engine far enough forward to shear the rubber motor mounts. Luckally im ok, just a broken nose and 5 stitches. Even with my fuel cell in the trunk and an AN fitting getting hit, the only fuel leak from my car was where the braided hose got pinched in the subframe..Heres the pictures of the aftermath:

As soon as the insurance adjuster has come to look at it i plan on towing it back home, and looking for a good donor shell to swap everything over to. Not much else will change, I think i may paint it flat white w/ a flat black hood, shave the firewall better, and make a sturdier framework for the fuel cell, and tie the transmission mounts into the subframe connectors. Since i have no choice but for it to be out of service, i may as well put the efi in it before im done to...What else do you guys think i should change?

Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you are OK aside from the nose and lacerations.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Country Flag: North Korea
      Quote Originally Posted by ALLstrokedOUT View Post
      Hey guys, some of you may have seen my thread on here once or twice. If you have you know ive been daily driving it since day one, making changes as time allows. I figured today is definatly a big turning point to my project, and as such deserves a new thread...it also allows me to vent a little about what just happened to me.

Today i just got out of an exam and was driving to go to work, Traffic was backed up at a light and i had come to a stop for 2-3 seconds. I was about 50' away from the next car in line so someone else could get out of a parking lot. I dont remember much, but i do know i had my foot buried in the brake when the car rear ended me. They hit me so hard that i got pushed 50' with my tires locked up into the car in front of me. The driveshaft yoke is pushed into the t56, and pushed the engine far enough forward to shear the rubber motor mounts. Luckally im ok, just a broken nose and 5 stitches. Even with my fuel cell in the trunk and an AN fitting getting hit, the only fuel leak from my car was where the braided hose got pinched in the subframe..Heres the pictures of the aftermath:

As soon as the insurance adjuster has come to look at it i plan on towing it back home, and looking for a good donor shell to swap everything over to. Not much else will change, I think i may paint it flat white w/ a flat black hood, shave the firewall better, and make a sturdier framework for the fuel cell, and tie the transmission mounts into the subframe connectors. Since i have no choice but for it to be out of service, i may as well put the efi in it before im done to...What else do you guys think i should change?
      The arrangement of the idiot's face that hit you? Though that time may have come/gone :(

just WOW!!!
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Just how fast was that person going?! Thats one hell of a hit!
      Matt

That is painful to see. I am glad you are okay.

Score 1 for the fuel cell!

sorry to hear that man, glad your ok, I think its time to take the build to the next level

Thanks everyone, The idiot was some sorority girl, she and her frat buddies who came to the scene were very rude and inconsiderate. I was crying while i put my hand in the 8" deep pocket in the side of the quarter panel, blood dripping down the side of my face while these kids were laughing having a grand old time like she didnt just send 2-3 people to the hospital. After about an hour i go over to them and the driver says nothing to me, i say "you need to learn how to drive" even though much worse was going through my head she had begun crying now too..the frat guy got in my bloodied face (or tried to, he was a good 10" shorter than me) and said i needed to watch myself..the cops intervened.

The cops were very cool/polite-they told me the girl in the focus had told them "dont get too close to me, i dont like cops" rite when they got to the scene, they responded "dont worry, the next time we get close to you is to hand you your citations". Two tow truck drivers, a passanger, and a cop all recognized me by my car.

Heres a good picture to explain the accident:

I was a car length behind where the focus is now, stopped (for 2-3 sec easily) to let the mini in the dirt drive into traffic. the traffic 50' in front of me was stopped for about 3-400' to the light. With my brakes on the focus hit me, when i reacted to what happened i hit my brakes harder and locked them up for the remaining 40' or so. The speed limit is 40, and the car behind the focus said they never saw the focus' brake lights go on. i dont know if they were going the speed limit or not, but they literally just plowed into me w/o stopping.

To turn something bad into good, i can change the things i didnt like about my build this time around. Aside from what i had already mentioned, i really like how clean a grey engine compartment/underbody looks, so i may spray it that...whats everyones thoughts about the flat white/flat black hood? i think itll look cleaner and be a lot cooler than the black in the florida sun.
      Tim

Holy shoot Tim! Great to hear you walked away.

The black on white paint job is one of my favorites, it gets my vote.

BTW, your sig. is pretty ironic now...
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

haha..yea i guess it is...i wish people didnt take what i say literally haha. But hopefully itll be back on the streets quick enough, depending on the shape of the donors. Ive got a few donors lined up, all stripped out drag cars, so i need to make sure that nothings too far chopped up, no crazy roll cages so i can retain my rear seat still too.
      Tim

I say texting was involved. Frat boys laughing would have gotten a beat down IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HELLCAMINO View Post
      I say texting was involved.
      I bet so too.....mention to your adjuster that he should get her phone records, I bet she was busy behind the wheel and that is why she never hit the brakes.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Sorry about your car man, glad your OK!!!!! you showed much more restraint than I would have ever been able to! Somebody most likely would have gone to the hospital had the got in my face after totaling my baby! Glad your OK and smart enough to play it cool!
      JR
      1965 Ford Mustang

Damn Tim that sucks fookin sorority girls and frat guys. Im sure the next incarnation will be even better. It could have been worse...
      Chris Smock aka Blazed67
      1967 Firebird Convertible- Tough Luck- never ending
      2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T- the new DD
      2006 Suzuki SV1000R- greatly missed

Sorry that this happened to you. Do not sign anything from her insurance company till you have been fully checked out for back and neck injuries. You have got to have some soft tissue injuries after a hit like that. I second on the texting/phone call while driving. The cop should have told her fine on the not getting near her but only your statements will be in the report because she refused to make one at the scene. I would have planted that jackass on the ground and told the officers he threated me, so he would have gotten a beat down then off to jail......what an idiot.

I am glad to hear that you are looking at the good that can come out of this, a great attitude to have. Good luck on the search for a replacement.
      Stay in it till you see God....then lift

Where patience fails, force prevails

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat." G. Carlin

Stapp's Ironical Paradox...... "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Thanks guys, i got all checked out and x-rayed already, mentioned to her insurance company that i need to make a follow up appointment in a week or so for my nose. My insurance company called me, and i think its best i just go though her company all the way...they already said that their driver was 100% at fault. I found a clean titled 70 duster for $750 but its a few hours away and has "rust". I also found a demon a few hours away that seems to be o.k. for how much welding i need to do to install the roll cage, subframe, fuel cell...
      I forgot, the reiteration of the duster is also going to have 13-14" front brakes and Hydraboost, maybe hotchkis rear leafs/some kind of pinion snubber/rear sway bar, or if time and money allow a 4 link with coil overs...for the front id really like to custom make a k member that uses c4/5/6 suspension, but that will be at a much later date
      Tim

man glad your alright. i guess building an altered is out of the question? lol

Glad to see you're okay! I had a similar deal when I was 19 and in college--a girl (not to put blame on female drivers--it's just a coincidence) swerved into me on the freeway and guided my 1968 Mustang into a guardrail at about 60. I had the front-end version of your ride, but with no injuries. You've got a good attitude about things--just make sure that her insurance company pays up in full. Enjoy the new build!

WOW! wasn't expecting that!

Sorry to hear about your car! Glad you are OK.

Good Luck with the new project!

-Sean

Tim,

Glad your ok!

Here you go...... http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2626936597.html

Dan

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com