Country Flag: United States

1966 pro touring skylark -turbo Buick nailhead build

Name:  244.jpg
Views: 16859
Size:  195.1 KBName:  233.jpg
Views: 14535
Size:  215.0 KBName:  235.jpg
Views: 14888
Size:  176.4 KBi have been building this car for a little bit now and built a custom mid mount turbo setup with a garrett t67 turbo. car full spooled @ 3200rpms at 7psiand made TONS of torque!!! I wanted spool time a little sooner and the real neg part of the mid mount was the headers i had. they hung to low and would rub my concrete floor opening when driving out of the garage. I just got tired and decided to build a set of ss headers and put the turbo up front.. The car is pretty low and i dont want any clearance issues. The headers are not fully completed but everyday it is getting closer. I firgure while i put it up front i might as well make a custom serpintine belt setup.This car runs tubular upper control arms, qa1 coilover, detroit locker in a Quickstreet Perf 9" rear , c5 front and rear brakes, billet aluminum kore3 hubs, b body spindles,big sway bars and so on.. Here's a few updated pictures..

Paul
      66larkgs
      turbo 401 nailhead
      http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/a...bo%20nailhead/

Sounds like a cool ride. I love buicks. Just got rid of my '72 skylark. I look forward to more updates.
      '72 Skylark - 455, 6sp
      '72 Corvette - 350, 4sp

hoping to get headers finished for both sides by next week and get it out for some more burnouts!!http://youtu.be/dJCp9TsGe4E
      paul
      66larkgs
      turbo nailhead

Sweeeet!

MORE pics PLEASE!
      I know it's a 4DR but you still can't have a ride!!

more pics please! Very nice so far!

My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

i have about 90 pics on my photobuck but will be posting more of the headers this week. ss headers are coming out nice and just need some final fitmet and welding. planning on painting it torch red with a blk vinyl top, shaved chromed moldings. might paint the bumpers carbon fiber look with the grill and rear tail pan..not sure yet. http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...nailhead/l.jpg

dont mind all the body filler dust.. needs a good wash!! i really wouldnt mind some input on vinyl top and the painted bumpers, let me know your thoughts..
      thanks
      Paul

Great build! Love the turbo whine in the video, nice to see it coming from an early skylark.

JMO, I like the red and black top idea, but carbon fiber usually looks better on darker more aggressive colored cars. In my head I'm not seeing carbon bumpers going well together with red and black and polished wheels. But the important thing is do what you like.

Not throwing a sales pitch but have you considered doing a rendering yet? Having one done helps you visualize things like this before you do them so you get to say yeah or nay before you drop the cash on the mods.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing it all come together.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Attachment 50830Attachment 50828
      Attachment 50827Attachment 50831

here's a few updated pictures with the turbo headers i am making. still got a lot of work left on them but could knock them out if i could get more Garage Time!!\

Paul
      66larkgs
      turbo nailhead

Attachment 50880Attachment 50879

worked in the garage tonight, Got the crossover done for the single turbo setup and welded up a vband on the drivers side collector just in case i want to swap it to a twin turbo setup.

that thing is sick ,i also have a 66 skylark that im building pro touring style.

Buicks are so rare when it comes to anything but Buick parts. Fun stuff! I'll be watching this as I go through my build.

Attachment 51670Attachment 51671Attachment 51672Attachment 51673Attachment 51674

update pictures, crossover, headers and fitment is done!! final tig welding is being done and now i have to find the right spot for the wastegate. thinking about doing it on the pass side t4 turbo flange and making a 3 inch adaptor with a t4 flange on each side and wastegate in the middle. do you think i should send headers and all hot side out for hotjet? silver ,blk or leave it all stainless??? i am going to send out all the cold side for powdercoating or i might just polish it depending if i hotjet the headers. i am thinking it would just look alot cleaner if it was all hotjet and powdercoated. thinking of painting the car gunmetal and than doing a dark cuda/ yenko strip down the side and dark tinted windows,the interior is all blk and all redone, i should take some pictures of the seats and dash pad that i have all recovered. looks great!!wouldnt mind hearing some suggestions..

thanks Paul
      66larkgs
      turbo 401 nailhead

I'd coat them and get a turbo blanket too. you're most of the way there with the stainless, but you can't have too much heat suppression.

I'm itching to see your car done. My favorite car ever outside of 66 galaxies is the 65 riviera. I'd love to do a turbo nailhead when i eventually pick up a riv.

good luck and I'm sure that a turbo nailhead is a monster. Got any idea what kind of numbers that it's putting down?
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Killer project, love that you're upgrading the nailhead.

Attachment 51800
      Attachment 51802

i am exspecting around 650 tq and 500hp. I have a 550hp in a 53 international pickup and the buick felt just as powerful as the truck when i had the other turbo setup in it. i split the bellhousing on the turbo 400 with the old setup, tig it all back up and i am eager to see how the new setup. i am hoping with the new headgaskets, lower compression and arp studs i can bump boost from 7lbs to 10-12lbs boost. I dont think i will have any issue, i am using a 6btm and can pull timing out on the fly if needed.

Paul
      66lark
      turbo 401 nailhead

just ordered new power steering box, front end bolt kit , bumpstops, and eastwoods dual powder coating setup with the colors i need to due the rest of the suspension,intake, cylinder heades, ev carb hat ,pulleys, cold side tubing on the intake. scored a real nice oven for free so i am into everything for $300 with all the extra powder i bought.. i cant wait. i also bought some ceramic coating 2000 degree so i might play around with that and see how well it works. You spray it on with a touchup gun and then it air dries and bake @700 degrees.

Any one use either of these setups yet?

Thanks Paul

OH SHAWZZAM thats one Old School cool ride ! I dig all that off the beatin path fun and fins just don't push it to hard you've gettin it right

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com