Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      The tank in the car is from a '90-'96 Impala. It is the plastic 23.5 gallon tank. I installed the Racetronix 255 lt. Walbro kit. The tank cost me $30.00 at the local wrecking yard.

1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Powdercoated Parts

I also picked up most of my parts that were powdercoated. I decided to skip black and do a dark charcoal metallic finish. The car is silver, so there is a nice compliment between the two colors, and also against other components that are black like the suspension pieces. The core support, firewall cover, oil pan, front timing chain cover, and inner fenderwells are all in the grey color. The frame is still at Global West, but I should get it back in about a month. The frame will also be the same color as the other parts. The rear end was powdercoated as well, and I had them do the the cover in wrinkle finish black to give it a little contrast. I like the two together.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Thank you for the info on the tank, I was wondering if those tanks would work on our cars. How hard was it to install? Any major mods needed?

I like the color of that powdercoat, Its gonna look real nice when its all together.
      Nick

'67 Chevelle 350/th350..... soon to be all aluminum 5.3
      '73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

The tank is a bolt in. The chassis on the B-body is identical to the '73-'77's. I used the later tank straps.They connect the same on one end. What I did was cut one end off the original straps, and welded them on the newer ones. That's it.

Excellent build thread. Love the different body style build. I have a question on the gas tank. How did you get one out of the local wrecking yard? All the Florida yards have to puncture the tanks when they get the cars rendering them useless. Not only that...they wont even sell a tank. I have a 87 chevy caprice that I will slowly turn into a PT car...but for now I am really enjoying reads builds like yours..not just for the diferent body style, but also for the info on different parts from other cars and custom mods. The '77-'90 B-Body's all had a BOLT-IN Brace in the same place as your modified lower control arm brace. I am not aware if you could use them on your chassis or not. Food for thought. Keep up the great work.
      Todd

The local yards here also drill a hole in the tanks. I was able to find a private yard that had not disabled it. I have not seen that lower brace on the B-body chassis, so I dont know if it can be used. I will have to look at that next time I get to the yard.

Erl shortblock has arrived

I received the ERL shortblock today. Final size is 428". 4.130 bore with a 4" stroke. All forged internals. CR is going to be 11.2. ERL sends a clearance sheet of all cylinders, rod/main journal diameters and coresponding clearances. All 8 individual cylinder clearances are listed in addition to the oil ring gaps and many other specifications. It also list's the name of the technician that assembled the motor. I worked with Seth Shaeffer on this project, and he was great to work with. Very professional and willing to answer all of my questions. Overall it was a good experience, and I would highly recommend working with ERL. I will be getting it up on the stand this week and taping off the block to get it ready to paint. Luckily the weather out here is going to be close to 80* next week, so I can paint it and not worry about the temperature. It will be Pontiac metallic blue.

Name:  DSCF4008.JPG
Views: 2039
Size:  173.6 KB

More ls parts

I also received some other parts for the build. I purchased a Powerbond SFI balancer in standard ratio, no underdrive. Very nice piece. The rockers I ordered are the CHE modified factory 1.8 LS7 rockers. They have the modified trunion set up to eliminate the needle bearing issues that some people have had. Nothing exotic, just beefy reliable parts that will work. The balancer is specific for a late model LS3 Corvette. I went ahead and ordered the GM Corvette front accessory drive kit today from Superior Chevrolet in Kansas. They sell it with A/C for $760. It has the alternator placed high on the driver side, and A/C low on the passenger side. Since I have the frame apart, I will be able to make any modifications needed in order to clear the A/C pump if needed before it goes to powdercoating. I also ordered the Corvette water pump, and the GMPP Pontiac LS valve covers which I really wanted, but damn it they are expensive. Free shipping too.

Name:  002 - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views: 2054
Size:  91.7 KBName:  001.JPG
Views: 1980
Size:  31.3 KB

Country Flag: Australia
      Nice stuff...I use the Powerbond SFI spec balance on my engine as well. I like those covers.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Powerbond is an Australian company. You Aussie's make good stuff.

Great build, I can't believe it took me this long to stumble across it! Keep the updates coming!
      Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to keep the post interesting until I get the frame back.

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Thanks Tom. I'm trying to keep the post interesting until I get the frame back.
      This will be a beast and a completely different car than what it was before. Trust me....

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yeah......I think I'm going to need to buy some big boy pants for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Yeah......I think I'm going to need to buy some big boy pants for this!
      And some extra underwear...:-)

Happy New Year!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Smooth Firewall Installation

One of the things I had modified on the last redo of the car a few years ago was the firewall. I did not, and still dont have the budget to do a weld in smooth firewall. It is a one piece bolt in firewall panel that a buddy of mine fabbed up for me in 2006. I had it re-powdercoated in the dark charcoal grey and decided to get it back in before the engine installation. The car is still sitting on the old frame, but I felt I needed to get this part done. One thing I did this time was install dynamat on the original firewall to eliminate as much interior noise as possible. I had some dynaliner left over, and did the rest in the dynamat.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 2029
Size:  163.0 KBName:  009.JPG
Views: 2102
Size:  140.1 KBName:  010.JPG
Views: 2158
Size:  119.5 KB

Installed Pictures

Here are a few after pictures of it bolted in place. I still have other things to hang such as the clutch master, hydroboost, etc. I will do that when the body is on the new frame.

Name:  017.JPG
Views: 2341
Size:  151.8 KB

That firewall kit looks great. The fact that now you have a double firewall with insulation in between the layer should really make a difference in interior noise. I like that idea a lot.

You should see if Detroit Speed has a wiper kit for your car. It would really clean up the firewall more and they really function very well compared to the old wiper motors.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew: That is exactly what I was thinking as well. I like the look of the newer wiper kit. I will need to look into that.

Got Bored....Painted the Cowl Area

Until I get the frame back, I have to keep myself occupied on this project by doing some of the liitle things that need to be done, or the things that bug me. The cowl area was painted back when the car was painted in 2002. I didn't like the way it looked lately. The paint was a little dull. So I decided to redo the area with a little texture. I used Duplicolor Armour bedliner. I taped off the car, sanded the area down and shot it with the spray can bedliner. Three coats, followed two light coats of low gloss black. I think it looks a lot better?

Name:  011.JPG
Views: 2021
Size:  188.6 KBName:  014.JPG
Views: 1998
Size:  190.4 KB

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast