Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Thanks Skip. I remember seeing them when I was pretty young in the mid 70's and thinking how cool they looked. Grand Am's are not a popular car in the musclecar world, but they are unique. Considering what most mid 70's cars looked like with their big ugly mandated bumpers, I think Pontiac did a great job on the styling.
      You're right of course, Pontiac sure did a great job dealing with those mandated 'horizontal push guards' lol. If they didn't, there never would have been all those T/A's sold as well.

Back in '74 my Dad bought a new Buick Regal, which also had great styling, but inside, the dash on the Grand-Ams IMO blew away what the competition offered.

Skip

Country Flag: United States
      SRD, Very cool rendering of the Grand Am. I will need to get one of those made soon. I like the fact that people are responding to this project. It at least allows an "alternative" vehicle get some attention in the PT world.

Compos, Agreed...Pontiac always had the best exterior and interior styling of all the GM brands.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

GA Progress and Pictures

Attachment 50533Attachment 50534Attachment 50535
      I made some progress over the weekend. I removed the front nose, bumper and core support. Received some new parts.....LS7 throttle body and fuel rails. The rails are used but they look like they were never run. Also scored a damaged aluminum LS2 block and heads to help with the mock up in the new frame. My headers and motor mounts will arrive Tuesday, and I will get those in to see if there are any issues. If it all works, off to the powdercoater.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I guess you missed my questions earlier?
      Nick

'67 Chevelle 350/th350..... soon to be all aluminum 5.3
      '73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

alowerlevel; Did you mean the wheel size? I dug it out of my file.
      Front: 18x8.5 / +16mm / 5.4" backspacing
      Rear: 18x10 / -6mm / 5.25" backspacing.

Attachment 50533Attachment 50534Attachment 50535
      I made some progress over the weekend. I removed the front nose, bumper and core support. Received some new parts.....LS7 throttle body and fuel rails. The rails are used but they look like they were never run. Also scored a damaged aluminum LS2 block and heads to help with the mock up in the new frame. My headers and motor mounts will arrive Tuesday, and I will get those in to see if there are any issues. If it all works, off to the powdercoater.
      I was just looking at your fuel line arrangement. If you want to keep an OEM look, there is a company that makes fuel like kits that uses the GM snap on style fittings that will go right to your new fuel rail. The LS rails can be flipped so you can position the inlet to the fuel rail on the passenger side. Then use one of those OEM looking lines to mate with your existing hose. Now, if I could only remember the name of that company. :-/

Edit*** Found it..

http://www.techafx.com/

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 10-25-2011 at 05:48 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew. I will look into that. I am going to need to redo all of the lines in the car since the frame has been boxed. I will be using stainless hard line throughout.

alowerlevel; Did you mean the wheel size? I dug it out of my file.
      Front: 18x8.5 / +16mm / 5.4" backspacing
      Rear: 18x10 / -6mm / 5.25" backspacing.
      Yeah thank you for the info, Im trying to figure out what wheels will fit mine. What size tires were you running on those wheels?
      Nick

'73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

Front: 255/45/18
      Rear: 285/45/18

No problem. Glad to help. Pirelli was the only company that had a tall enough performance car rear tire at the time I bought them. But they are too expensive now. Nitto has a 295/45/18 that will fit our cars. They are half the price, but double the treadwear at 300. The pirelli's are 140 treadwear. Very sticky.

SRD, Very cool rendering of the Grand Am. I will need to get one of those made soon. I like the fact that people are responding to this project. It at least allows an "alternative" vehicle get some attention in the PT world.
      Although we all like certain cars seeing something different is a good thing. That's why I'm building an Olds wagon and my Novas are the "ugly" 73 and 74 vintage, lol! Let me know if I can help with a rendering when you get around to it. Keep the photos coming!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

The big brown truck stopped at my house today and he gave me these. It's like Christmas in October....Yay. I like the quality of them. They are the 1 7/8" size from BRP/Hedman. They are raw so I can coat them after the engine break in. Now it's off to the chassis shop to test fit the engine and headers on Thursday.

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 2337
Size:  446.5 KBName:  005.JPG
Views: 2351
Size:  483.5 KBName:  007.JPG
Views: 2334
Size:  429.2 KB

Front: 255/45/18
      Rear: 285/45/18

No problem. Glad to help. Pirelli was the only company that had a tall enough performance car rear tire at the time I bought them. But they are too expensive now. Nitto has a 295/45/18 that will fit our cars. They are half the price, but double the treadwear at 300. The pirelli's are 140 treadwear. Very sticky.
      I used to run the Nitto's on my car. Now I run the Falken 615s. They make a 295/40-18 which is still tall (hair over 27") and has a 200 treadware. I run a matching 255/40-18 in the front. Just food for thought.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

want to do mine????????

Andrew: The size of the wheel openings on these cars are so much bigger than the Gen 2 A-body. I need at least a 28" tire in the back just to make it look right, and that's with the car lowered.

How much was the car lowered?
      Nick

'73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

Andrew: The size of the wheel openings on these cars are so much bigger than the Gen 2 A-body. I need at least a 28" tire in the back just to make it look right, and that's with the car lowered.
      I'm running 17x9 with 5" backspacing and 285/40/17 Nittos up front.... no issues at all..
      they barely kiss the 1+3/8 swaybar at full lock with 2" lowering springs... honestly it looks like I've got plenty of room to go out (toward the fender "flare") I'm having my rear wheels stretched to 10.5 with 315/35/17's... i'd put money on them fitting up front too..lol

Keep up the great work... a few years from now i'll be doing the same thing to mine....

-Sean

The front has QA1 coil over shocks, so I can lower it as much as I need. I never dump the front, just enough to get the right look. I prefer to have a decent amount of travel left in it to preserve the handling. The rear is about 1" lower than stock. I will probably have new springs made for the rear to lower it another 1/4".

SR73; How do you like the 1 3/8" sway bar? I use a 1.25 factory WS6 T/A bar up front and the original 7/8" rear bar. The car seemed to be fairly neutral with the Pontiac engine, but now I am taking about 200lbs off the nose.

I had to click on this thread to see what a 73 Grand Am looked like....It reminds me of the 76 Grand Prix that I had many moons ago...body is shaped similar, the Grand Am is very unique....I like it.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

I am not surprised. Even on my car the 295/45s looked really good. I believe NItto does make a 305/40-18 in the drag radial. That will be a hair taller then a 295/40 and the extra width is always welcome. But I hear you, it is hard to find tires that are tall and wide to really fill the wheel wells!

I don't know where you plan to mount oil tank for the dry sump, but I would try to keep it on the firewall or at least behind the front wheels, just to keep all that weight as centered as possible.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I had a chance to test fit the motor/headers today. There are a few minor changes that will need to be made to the new frame brackets, but nothing too drastic. Rob at No Limit won't have time to get to it until after SEMA though, so I wont be posting too much until next month. The rear diff is apart for new powder coating and inspection...no problems there. The engine is still in the build stage and I am waiting for final piston to deck height numbers in order to order my cylinder heads in the correct chamber size.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast