Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Proform waterpump 67264 - not a CNC iron impeller

So, my Edelbrock waterpump on my 383 SBC finally gave up the ghost and it was time to order a new one. What to do? I looked at several different water pumps on Summitracing and found a Proform 67264 - with a description of ------
      These Proform high-flow mechanical aluminum water pumps feature a CNC cast iron impeller spinning on heavy-duty ball bearings. The result is up to 40 percent more coolant flow, giving you real performance value for your dollar. They are available in a natural or polished finish.

This was the description by Summit and also Proform on their own webpage. I did a search, but there was not alot of info on the web about this pump, but there was one post that said it was supposed to be a CNC iron impeller like the description, but was a standard steel when they got it.

So, I called Summit's tech line and they called Proform tech services to confirm that it was a CNC impeller and they said it was. So, I ordered it.

Anyways.....I just got it today and opened it up and low and behold it was a standard steel impeller. Of course it was!!!!! What a waste of time that was. Got back on the line with Summit and told them this. They said they would have to contact Proform about this on Monday and I said don't bother, I will send it back and never order Proform stuff again, but I would like to order a Stewart Stage 2 water pump instead, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Just my 2 cents for anyone wondering about this waterpump
      Z-28 has a built 383SBC. The heads are AFR 195 CNC ported with a 274 Solid Extreme Energy Cam. 1.6 rockers an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and a 650 Holley carb. Turbo400 with a 10" ATI convertor 3200 Stall. 3.42 posi. Hotchkis springs/swaybar/UCA and Bilstein shocks.

Country Flag: United States
      I could be that they have a CNC jig to mill the impeller to specs, or that the impeller is in fact CNC cut from cast or billet steel. Disingenuous? Yes. Lying? No.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

No cast iron, just steel. Maybe nice steel, but not CNC cast iron.
      Z-28 has a built 383SBC. The heads are AFR 195 CNC ported with a 274 Solid Extreme Energy Cam. 1.6 rockers an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake and a 650 Holley carb. Turbo400 with a 10" ATI convertor 3200 Stall. 3.42 posi. Hotchkis springs/swaybar/UCA and Bilstein shocks.

we sell there product as does summit and they serve a price point for many a sale but I personally think proform makes nice valve covers but i wouldn't risk my engine cooling, rocker arms, or rotating assemblies to a company like that (budget import) we even had problems with the electronics they make aslo(I.E. distributors, ignition boxes, etc) stick with the names for major items

I think I will walk into their SEMA booth in November and ask them to see that waterpump. We'll see what they say

You understand that you can CNC steel? You can CNC anything your spindle horsepower/tooling will allow. I wouldn't want an aluminum or or iron impeller, steel or GTFO. I know that if I was charged with making that, I would cast the part from steel, CNC lathe the outer diameter, and then CNC mill the end length, then shot peen the entire part and cover it in WD40 or some other oxygen suppressant.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

I understand that you can CNC anything, including a block of ice, but the description was cast iron not steel. Most performance impellers are cast iron, not steel. Here are some pictures of the Proform Vs Edelbrock. Very similar descriptions about both pumps too. Proform pump
      Edelbrock pump with solid impeller

Just got my new Stage 2 Stewart waterpump. Took a few pictures of the new one with a very nice impeller. It is interesting seeing the difference between the Edelbrock and the Stewart. I guess I will see how the Stewart does.

I noticed today that Summit Racing has changed the description to say stamped steel impeller

I used to get those plates that you can rivet on the back of the impeller, but I don't see them anymore.

1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com