Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project: Motor City Madness- 72 Cutlass (Delilah)

Well I have been floating around here of in on for 2+ years and let me say I LOVE what you guys are doing. My intention to build a pro touring car being slowed down by some past slow finances. I'm now ready to get back into my project with the hope of having it ready for paint by next year this time. I got away from wrenching on my own cars for a while, but this project will be hands on with the help of my fiance and my friend who is and car NUT\engineer and mechanic. My intentions are to build a car that would be a strong street machine, but may also see some autocross and track time.
      The background goes:1972 Cutlass was purchased locally from a college aged kid that apparently beat up on the trans and original 350. The interior had already been *******ized with cheap seats and Autozone guages. The good is the body was better than several I'd seen. I was always told "get a good body, you can buy a motor.." I was going to do a restomod, maybe just wheels and suspension. I changed my mind because this car was not stock in the first place and restoring to original would be more time\money than moving in ths direction which is really more me. After reading a lot here and making a plan, I started my parts quest.

Any helpful advice is always appreciated....

Here are my initial plans (*=some parts I already have):
      Engine and trans swap--455 bored .030 with C heads ported and mated to 4l80e using Simple Shift Standalone controller *
      ATS/AFX spindles *
      SPC Lowering springs *
      Adjustable upper trailing arms *
      Boxed lower trailing arms *
      Dynomax headers -*
      Hydroboost *
      Hydratech Stainless Hydroboost line set *
      C5 disc brake upgrade *
      GTO Seats- *
      Speedhut guages and custom center console *
      Rushforth Rated X Wheels 18x9, 19x10 *
      Magnaflow 3" Exhaust *
      American Autowire Power Plus 20 *
      Hellwig front and rear sway bars *
      Varishock QS1 *
      Have some pics of original and present condition. Winter is coming so I'm trying to build my parts stash now so I can play in my garage.
      BTW, my fiance named the car...lol

Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

sweet! keep us posted!

Dave Van Nuys
      83 455 Regal in progress

Here it is with the front end and drivetrain removed. Cleaned of the firewall and rattle canned it with self etching primer and high heat Krylon. It won't win any shows, but it looks a lot better. Also degreased the frame and sprayed it. My fiance is actually responsible for the firewall but refuses to take pics...LOL

A little cleaner now...Tried to smooth some of the dimples...

Chris--

Very nice start. Great to see another 72 "S". Keep us posted, the pics are motivation for me.
      1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

http://fivelugs.com

Csouth – it sounds like you’ve got a fun project on your hands. Those A-bodies have big stock rear wheel tubs and make nice Pro-Touring cars. Thanks for considering Hotchkis products for your Cutlass.
      Hotchkis Sport Suspension
      Toll Free: 877-466-7655

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
      Csouth – it sounds like you’ve got a fun project on your hands. Those A-bodies have big stock rear wheel tubs and make nice Pro-Touring cars. Thanks for considering Hotchkis products for your Cutlass.
      I love A Bodies and your Hotckiss Challenger. I've seen it at GG Columbus and the Motor State Challenge a couple time.
      This will definitely be a slow process. This is the most I've done to any car I've owned. I will revisit some things later just because of budget, but I want it as close to right as possible the first time.

Chris--

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I love A Bodies and your Hotckiss Challenger. I've seen it at GG Columbus and the Motor State Challenge a couple time.
      This will definitely be a slow process. This will be the most I've done to any car I've owned. I will revisit somethings later just because of budget, but I want it as close to right as possible the first time.
      Csouth – Thanks for the kind words about our Challenger. It’s been an awesome car.

There’s a lot of work that can be done on projects that take more labor than money. We’ll keep watching for progress.
      Hotchkis Sport Suspension
      Toll Free: 877-466-7655

looking good so far! good luck with the project!!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

I'll be standing by trying to find some inspiration to get back to work on my Cutlass. Nice car.
      Kyle

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme:
      Hotchkis TVS
      SC&C Stage II+
      SPC Tubular Lower Control Arms
      Rushforth Super Spokes 19/20 brushed/polished
      Olds 455 Build
      200-4R Transmission (CK Performance Full Billet Pro Street/Strip)
      10bolt 8.5" w/Truetrac, 3.73 gears, Moser 30spline axles

Quote Originally Posted by 72Cutty View Post
      I'll be standing by trying to find some inspiration to get back to work on my Cutlass. Nice car.
      Thanks. You have a nice parts list in your sig, you seem well on your way...

Chris--

Cool build! We're building a 71 S, seems to be a few more of them coming out of the woodwork!

Here are the seats I picked up. They were in very good condition and the price was right. The seller being local made them irresitable...

Chris--

I have a 71 cutlass S That I'm doing thought I was the only one out there...its got a 5.3l and a t56 for now I was down on cash, anyway Question how did you get the firewall so nice?

Quote Originally Posted by wing_0797 View Post
      I have a 71 cutlass S That I'm doing thought I was the only one out there...its got a 5.3l and a t56 for now I was down on cash, anyway Question how did you get the firewall so nice?
      Yeah, seems more Cutlass are popping up here. Your combo should work well with that trans. I was going to do a manual conversion, but I'll keep the 4l80e for now. Maybe add some paddle shifters in the future.
      The firewall I can't take credit for, my fiance is totally responsible for that. She is very detail oriented, so anything requiring lots of prep is all her....

Chris--

What a fantastic car to start with! Love the lines on that year Cutty. I agree with Hotchkis, some big meats would be right at home under that thing, how about 18x10 and 18x12s with 275-35 and 335-30-18s? Mmmmmm.

I did an internship at an upholstery shop last year. Changing out just that panel with the GTO logo is not a very expensive thing to do, you could replace it with plain material or even have Cutlass or something else embroidered on it.

Once again great start.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Thanks, I checked out your project too a while back. Love the PT wagons, very nice! I have a buddy that does interiors. He is going to change that panel and help with the rear seats. He's also going to build me a console. I could really use a good deal on a rendering

Chris--

Country Flag: Australia
      Big fan of Cutlass coupes....great to see one getting built.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Nice to see a cutlass, what color do you plan on painting it?

Yeah Wow whats really amazing is that your girlfriend can and will actually work on the car my firewall might not ever look that good lol, I plan on going bigger with the engine and a whole lot ride tech stuff and other things that I haven't seen done with a cutlass I got into manuals but they are a PITA to install I cut my tunnel then the way the floor pan is the clutch pedal and master cylinder install was and still is hell, even with the kit I got from american drive train.

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Yeah, seems more Cutlass are popping up here. Your combo should work well that trans. I was going to do a manual conversion, but I'll keet the 4l80e for now. Maybe add some paddle shifters in the future.
      The firewall I can't take credit for, my fiance is totally responsible for that. She is very detail oriented, so anything requiring lots of prep is all her....

Quote Originally Posted by DroptopJ View Post
      Nice to see a cutlass, what color do you plan on painting it?
      Thats still up in the air. I'm going to work it around the grey seats since they are in such good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by wing_0797 View Post
      Yeah Wow whats really amazing is that your girlfriend can and will actually work on the car my firewall might not ever look that good lol, I plan on going bigger with the engine and a whole lot ride tech stuff and other things that I haven't seen done with a cutlass I got into manuals but they are a PITA to install I cut my tunnel then the way the floor pan is the clutch pedal and master cylinder install was and still is hell, even with the kit I got from american drive train.
      Good luck with that swap. I'm going with the 4l80e because in the long run for me it should be cheaper to make it bullet proof. I may add some paddles, but that would be an enhancement.

Chris--

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com